Filename
LoadLifeTables0604.pdf
File size
94.59 KiB
Downloads
30 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The endurance of electrolytic caps doubles for every 10C reduction.

Reply 21 of 25, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2023-10-02, 14:47:

...is it me or did I pick a perfect replacement on my first try? Beginner's luck? 😁

Yes, the Nichicon cap that you found is a perfect replacement.
You can also see that different manufacturers often have very similar specs (in this case, identical) for a particular series. Almost like they copied each other's datasheets.
I would also like to add Panasonic and Nippon Chemi-Con to your list of good capacitor brands.

Anyway, your method is correct. Try to find the specs of the original parts and match the new ones.
However, it is often not that easy (or it's impossible) to find the datasheets for obscure brands.

Reply 22 of 25, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
watson wrote on 2023-10-03, 10:13:
Yes, the Nichicon cap that you found is a perfect replacement. You can also see that different manufacturers often have very sim […]
Show full quote

Yes, the Nichicon cap that you found is a perfect replacement.
You can also see that different manufacturers often have very similar specs (in this case, identical) for a particular series. Almost like they copied each other's datasheets.
I would also like to add Panasonic and Nippon Chemi-Con to your list of good capacitor brands.

Anyway, your method is correct. Try to find the specs of the original parts and match the new ones.
However, it is often not that easy (or it's impossible) to find the datasheets for obscure brands.

Thank you for the confirmation and additional info!

Yeah that's exactly the thought that crossed my mind when looking through the specs - looks like the necessity to be competitive with other actors in a very wide market kinda pushed everyone towards some kinds of standards, which as a consumer is a pretty good thing 😀

Reply 23 of 25, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK next board, any help in identifying those? Can't find much about this "GSC" brand...

caps.png
Filename
caps.png
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

- GSC M (black) have no other marking.
- GSC RE (teal) are labeled Y08A and Y09A. Looks like they're identical in specs, but Y08A slightly smaller? I suppose they picked some smaller ones around the CPU socket for ventirad clearance, I guess...

Reply 24 of 25, by watson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can find the datasheet for the RE series here: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/GSC/
I recommend you to bookmark this page because it's the biggest collection of capacitor datasheets that I know of.
In the case of 1000uF/6.3V, you are looking at 90-95 mΩ ESR. Any decent modern low-ESR replacement will match or exceed this spec.

As for the 10V cap (M series), it's hard to find a datasheet for such a generic name. If I were you, I would just pick a cap from the same series as the other one.
There are plenty of options with 8mm diameter (at least I think they are 8mm from the photo).
GSC is well-known for being bottom of the barrel junk so literally anything from a reputable brand will be better.

Reply 25 of 25, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm also a guy who easily overthinks these things. And put projects on hold because I get overwhelmed by the choices. One thing that holds me back is that it's frustrating to put projects on hold until you get the right components.

What capacitors are most common and recommended to keep in stock? I also usually need to recap motherboards TVs and game consoles. Or is it a stupid question?