VOGONS

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you were offered the possibility to remake today these motherboards, what specs and characteristics (chipset, FSB, cache, RAM type, slots, socket, etc...) would the motherboards of your dreams have for:

1) 386
2) 486
3) Pentium

PS: Don't overlook the good old EISA bus 😉

Last edited by aries-mu on 2023-10-02, 15:02. Edited 1 time in total.

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd want them to be mini ITX all in ones, ISA bus breakout header. Compatibility maxed on RAM, so 16, 16, 64... cache to suit, no need to go crazy, official max lowest power version of each CPU with "dial a speed" and cache control, scandoubled HDMI out but with original graphics chipsets, like Trident 9000 series for 386, S3 Virge on the Pentium and not sure for the 486 at the moment, S3 or GD5434 maybe. SB 8, 16, 32 and midi controller. USB and SDCard bootable, dual compact flash sockets also bootable. 40 pin IDE header 34 pin floppy header. Built in 10/100 NIC and ESP32 handled wifi modem emulation (Give them 16550A or something so you can get the rate to 230kb/sec) regular serial parallel PS/2 x2 on back and 2 USB ps/2 emulation ports. Power converter onboard 12V input internal or external.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-02, 12:57:

I'd want them to be mini ITX all in ones, ISA bus breakout header. Compatibility maxed on RAM, so 16, 16, 64... cache to suit, no need to go crazy, official max lowest power version of each CPU with "dial a speed" and cache control, scandoubled HDMI out but with original graphics chipsets, like Trident 9000 series for 386, S3 Virge on the Pentium and not sure for the 486 at the moment, S3 or GD5434 maybe. SB 8, 16, 32 and midi controller. USB and SDCard bootable, dual compact flash sockets also bootable. 40 pin IDE header 34 pin floppy header. Built in 10/100 NIC and ESP32 handled wifi modem emulation (Give them 16550A or something so you can get the rate to 230kb/sec) regular serial parallel PS/2 x2 on back and 2 USB ps/2 emulation ports. Power converter onboard 12V input internal or external.

Wow man! You put everything on board, no cards to add, where's the fun???

Shponglefan wrote on 2023-10-02, 13:03:

12 ISA slots.

That is all. 😀

🤣!

Reply 4 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In all cases:
- ATX form factor
- ATX PSU input with onboard -12V conversion
- I/O onboard (in particular PS/2 keyboard and mouse, and USB with legacy input support)

386:
- ISA only
- 386 LIF socket
- 387 LIF socket
- 72p SIMM slots
- cache option with DIP sockets
- turbo to drop down to XT speeds

486:
- So3
- 3.45V and 5V CPU support
- WT and WB CPU cache support
- PODP support
- 72p SIMM slots
- VLB, PCI and ISA
- bus from 16-66MHz selectable and stable, with PCI in-spec 33MHz regardless of bus

Pentium:
- So7 with BF0, 1 and 2 hooked up
- split voltage
- core voltages from 1.8V-3.5V
- support for all So5/So7 CPUs including K6Plus
- bus from 33-133MHz selectable and stable, with PCI and AGP in-spec regardless of bus
- AGP, PCI and ISA

Note that a couple of real boards come very close to this spec already.

Reply 5 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-10-02, 14:14:
In all cases: - ATX form factor - ATX PSU input with onboard -12V conversion - I/O onboard (in particular PS/2 keyboard and mous […]
Show full quote

In all cases:
- ATX form factor
- ATX PSU input with onboard -12V conversion
- I/O onboard (in particular PS/2 keyboard and mouse, and USB with legacy input support)

386:
- ISA only
- 386 LIF socket
- 387 LIF socket
- 72p SIMM slots
- cache option with DIP sockets
- turbo to drop down to XT speeds

486:
- So3
- 3.45V and 5V CPU support
- WT and WB CPU cache support
- PODP support
- 72p SIMM slots
- VLB, PCI and ISA
- bus from 16-66MHz selectable and stable, with PCI in-spec 33MHz regardless of bus

Pentium:
- So7 with BF0, 1 and 2 hooked up
- split voltage
- core voltages from 1.8V-3.5V
- support for all So5/So7 CPUs including K6Plus
- bus from 33-133MHz selectable and stable, with PCI and AGP in-spec regardless of bus
- AGP, PCI and ISA

Note that a couple of real boards come very close to this spec already.

Wow!
You know what you want!!!

Questions please:

• Why "ISA only" on a 386? Shouldn't a VLB slot help with faster 386s, like DX 33 and DX40 ones? Or at least EISA?
• What kind and speed of L2 cache for 386s?
• What is USB "with legacy input support"?
• What is podp? I googled it up
• On 486 mobos, if you say "bus from 16 to 66 MHz selectable and stable" then why do you freeze PCI @ 33 MHz? Shouldn't you want it at 66 MHz?
• 72 pin RAM for 486s: What kind? FPM? EDO? What timing? 70ns? 60ns? less?
• No L2 cache for 486s? If yes, what kind and speed?
• What does "BF0, 1 and 2 hooked up" mean?
• What about L2 cache amount, type, and speed on Pentiums?

Finally, a comment:

AGP on P1: personally, when it comes to retrocomputing, it's all fuzzy... preferences... time-correctedness... all very vague and emotional. But I do know 1 thing for sure, a clear cutoff criteria. To me (but this is entirely personal), the boundary that separates what I consider retro-computing worth of my attention and post-retro I lose interest in is the AGP bus: pre-AGP, okay. Post-AGP: not interested.

Doesn't AGP feel a little too 'modern' on Pentiums?

Thanks!

Last edited by aries-mu on 2023-10-02, 15:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 13, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aries-mu wrote on 2023-10-02, 14:25:

• On 486 mobos, if you say "bus from 16 to 66 MHz selectable and stable" then why do you freeze PCI @ 33 MHz? Shouldn't you want it at 66 MHz?

Good luck finding PCI cards that would work with a PCI bus that is overclocked to 66MHz. In general ~40MHz overclock for PCI is doable, but 66MHz is just hopeless.

Reply 7 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CharlieFoxtrot wrote on 2023-10-02, 14:42:

Good luck finding PCI cards that would work with a PCI bus that is overclocked to 66MHz. In general ~40MHz overclock for PCI is doable, but 66MHz is just hopeless.

My understanding is that, by definition and tech specs, any card that is rated as "PCI 2.1" compliant must be capable of working at 66 MHz.

Reply 8 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aries-mu wrote on 2023-10-02, 13:09:
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-02, 12:57:

Wow man! You put everything on board, no cards to add, where's the fun???

These are utility blobs, 100% compatible, original CPU instruction timing, modern conveniences, "just run" stuff. ... Fun is the quirky stuff, but quirky stuff is breaky. ISA breakout would enable 3 slot or 7 slot expansion depending whether you wanted it in mATX or ATX box. PCI and AGP would be a good thing for Super7 but barely need it for P54 to 200mhz. I just think mITX would be great format for getting it all as compact as possible to house anywhere and be able to run with what is onboard, without going so tiny it's extra expensive.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-02, 14:47:

These are utility blobs, 100% compatible, original CPU instruction timing, modern conveniences, "just run" stuff. ... Fun is the quirky stuff, but quirky stuff is breaky. ISA breakout would enable 3 slot or 7 slot expansion depending whether you wanted it in mATX or ATX box. PCI and AGP would be a good thing for Super7 but barely need it for P54 to 200mhz. I just think mITX would be great format for getting it all as compact as possible to house anywhere and be able to run with what is onboard, without going so tiny it's extra expensive.

I see. Then you're covering a different concept of 'retro computing'. You're focusing on the utilitaristic aspect, with the aim on 'running' retro software/games.
There's another aspect: hardware retro computing for the sake of hardware retro computing itself, regardless of needing or not / wanting or not to run anything. Yes, you might run stuff, if you wish. Or you might not.

I also enjoy the hardware part for its own sake. Source the wanted sound card, video card, etc. And especially I enjoy late 80s - very early 90s traditional typical AT cases, the bigger the better (or at least minitower, still, vertical is better). So, in cases like mine, your all-encompassing tiny motherboard would kill most of the fun...

Reply 10 of 13, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dual CPU support
Lots of quirky functions
EISA
Onboard SCSI and no IDE

Hopeless support for any useful operating systems and not a single thought about gaming in the design process.

And then try to play as many games as possible 😀

Reply 11 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

Wow!

Questions please:

• Why "ISA only" on a 386? Shouldn't a VLB slot help with faster 386s, like DX 33 and DX40 ones? Or at least EISA?

VLB and 386 wasn't really a thing, even if boards exist (and yes, I have a couple, even one with a souped-up 386SX with 16b bus and VLB), anything that would run on VLB would run better on a 486 anyway. Then again. I'm not really that interested in running a 286 or 386 regardless, as there's not much they can do that a 486 couldn't do just as well. There's a case to be made for EISA, but that's pretty niche and makes configuration orders of magnitude more complex.

Depends on the chipset but probably just asynch SRAM. This only makes sense btw if it doesn't introduce latency.

A translation layer that lets you use USB peripherals that get presented to software as PS/2 so that OSs that don't support USB (i.e. DOS and early Win95) can still be operated by them. Was very common in BIOS around the turn of the millennium.

Pentium OverDrive Processor, a P54 Pentium in an extended Socket 3 form factor with onboard 5V->3.3V voltage regulator. Came in 63MHz (2.5x 25) and 83MHz (2.5x 33MHz) flavours.

Because the performance gain from out-of-spec PCI is negligible, but it is an infamous cause of instability, particularly data corruption on storage devices attached via PCI. Whereas there are VLB cards that can actually run at 50MHz or above (usually without any other VLB cards and frequently with wait states), PCI dies before 45MHz. So the logic is to use the VLB for a single VGA card for highest clock, but keep storage on PCI for stability.

FPM vs EDO depends on chipset, but basically EDO offers no tangible benefits for 486, so FPM makes most sense. As for timing, that depends on clock - 66MHz requires 60ns, 70ns is enough for slower systems. Note that these are max speeds, so you can always run fast SIMMs slower. 60ns will always work, so I'd personally choose that.

Well, unless you are Octek, it's all asynch, and again required speeds depend on bus speed. 12ns should always be fast enough. Cachable area is however more interesting, but depends on the chipset. All things being equal I'd like the biggest possible cacheable area, although realistically speaking there's no point in running a 486 with more than 64MB anyway.

Multiplier pins.

Early So5 boards only had BF0, so could only select between 1.5x and 2.0x.
So7 boards had BF0 and BF1, adding 2.5x and 3.0x
Late So7 boards supported the third BF2 pin (used on Tillamook, K6-2 and M2 CPUs), adding 4.0x, 4.5x, 5.0x and 5.5x.

3.5x was obtained on CPUs that supported it by remapping the 1.5x setting to 3.5x
6x was obtained on CPUs that supported it by remapping the 2.0x setting to 6.0x

Again depends on chipset. Realistically we're talking Aladdin V or MVP3 here. In the case of the Aladdin V, you need at least G-revision chipset allowing anything the board can handle to be cached. For MVP3, cacheable area is determined by amount of cache. 2MB gives max area, so board should have 2MB in that case.

Type: PLB, hands down. Older async can't handle the speeds and hardly boosts performance either.

Finally, a comment:

AGP on P1: personally, when it comes to retrocomputing, it's all fuzzy... preferences... time-correctedness... all very vague and emotional. But I do know 1 thing for sure, a clear cutoff criteria. To me (but this is entirely personal), the boundary that separates what I consider retro-computing worth of my attention and post-retro I lose interest in is the AGP bus: pre-AGP, okay. Post-AGP: not interested.

That's a very personal consideration. Point is, for me at least, that an 'ultimate' boards should be able support any hardware that could be used on the platform, so in this case any CPU from a Pentium 75 to a K6-3+ 550. AGP and P75 is pretty odd, but a K6-3+ without it is conversely lacking - and K6-2 with Voodoo3 was a common and desirable platform in the day. But yes, it's all about that 'cutoff' and I'd go a bit later for mine - basically anything pre-XP feels vintage to me, and I tended to run newer systems with older operating systems for max speed sensation, so I was still running Windows 98 on my Athlons which most definitely were AGP platforms. But there's nothing wrong with having a different take on it. I would propose however that it's easier to have a board with AGP and not use it, than to have a board without AGP and try to get it anyway...

Also, very late AMD So7 CPUs aside, one of the joys of late So7 boards is pushing the P55C i.e. Pentium MMX to its limits. Intel killed of the P5 line with it for non-technical reasons (they wanted you to buy P2s instead), and the hardware was capable of a lot more than 233MHz. I found it easy to push them to 3.5x 100MHz on an Aladdin V platform and at that spead they easily beat a K6-2 400, and paired very well with early AGP cards.

Last edited by dionb on 2023-10-02, 18:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 13, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote on 2023-10-02, 12:18:
If you were offered the possibility to remake today these motherboards, what specs and characteristics (chipset, FSB, cache, RAM […]
Show full quote

If you were offered the possibility to remake today these motherboards, what specs and characteristics (chipset, FSB, cache, RAM type, slots, socket, etc...) would the motherboards of your dreams have for:

1) 386
2) 486
3) Pentium

PS: Don't overlook the good old EISA bus 😉

Let me give a more practical answer.
I only collect 486 machines:
So: AMI Enterprise IV!
I would like to have: VL Slots, EISA slots, 72 pin SIMM slots.
1 VL Slot for a graphics card.
1 EISA for Nic
1 EISA slot for SCSI card
1 EISA slot for an ISA sound card.
chipset capable L1 WB. I am not really sure, if the AMI supports L1 WB.
Also I would like 1MB L2 cache, the AMI Enterprise IV unfortuantely has only 256kb, but with an extra dirty tag ram at least.
So the AMI board is not ideal either.

Unfortunately very few Eisa boards support 1MB L2 and even less support L1 WB. The Eisa boards are too old for it.
So it is just a dream.

Reply 13 of 13, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-10-02, 18:45:
Let me give a more practical answer. I only collect 486 machines: So: AMI Enterprise IV! I would like to have: VL Slots, EISA sl […]
Show full quote

Let me give a more practical answer.
I only collect 486 machines:
So: AMI Enterprise IV!
I would like to have: VL Slots, EISA slots, 72 pin SIMM slots.
1 VL Slot for a graphics card.
1 EISA for Nic
1 EISA slot for SCSI card
1 EISA slot for an ISA sound card.
chipset capable L1 WB. I am not really sure, if the AMI supports L1 WB.
Also I would like 1MB L2 cache, the AMI Enterprise IV unfortuantely has only 256kb, but with an extra dirty tag ram at least.
So the AMI board is not ideal either.

Unfortunately very few Eisa boards support 1MB L2 and even less support L1 WB. The Eisa boards are too old for it.
So it is just a dream.

Interesting! Thanks!

dionb wrote on 2023-10-02, 18:44:
VLB and 386 wasn't really a thing, even if boards exist (and yes, I have a couple, even one with a souped-up 386SX with 16b bus […]
Show full quote
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

Wow!

Questions please:

VLB and 386 wasn't really a thing, even if boards exist (and yes, I have a couple, even one with a souped-up 386SX with 16b bus and VLB), anything that would run on VLB would run better on a 486 anyway. Then again. I'm not really that interested in running a 286 or 386 regardless, as there's not much they can do that a 486 couldn't do just as well. There's a case to be made for EISA, but that's pretty niche and makes configuration orders of magnitude more complex.

Depends on the chipset but probably just asynch SRAM. This only makes sense btw if it doesn't introduce latency.

A translation layer that lets you use USB peripherals that get presented to software as PS/2 so that OSs that don't support USB (i.e. DOS and early Win95) can still be operated by them. Was very common in BIOS around the turn of the millennium.

Pentium OverDrive Processor, a P54 Pentium in an extended Socket 3 form factor with onboard 5V->3.3V voltage regulator. Came in 63MHz (2.5x 25) and 83MHz (2.5x 33MHz) flavours.

Because the performance gain from out-of-spec PCI is negligible, but it is an infamous cause of instability, particularly data corruption on storage devices attached via PCI. Whereas there are VLB cards that can actually run at 50MHz or above (usually without any other VLB cards and frequently with wait states), PCI dies before 45MHz. So the logic is to use the VLB for a single VGA card for highest clock, but keep storage on PCI for stability.

FPM vs EDO depends on chipset, but basically EDO offers no tangible benefits for 486, so FPM makes most sense. As for timing, that depends on clock - 66MHz requires 60ns, 70ns is enough for slower systems. Note that these are max speeds, so you can always run fast SIMMs slower. 60ns will always work, so I'd personally choose that.

Well, unless you are Octek, it's all asynch, and again required speeds depend on bus speed. 12ns should always be fast enough. Cachable area is however more interesting, but depends on the chipset. All things being equal I'd like the biggest possible cacheable area, although realistically speaking there's no point in running a 486 with more than 64MB anyway.

Multiplier pins.

Early So5 boards only had BF0, so could only select between 1.5x and 2.0x.
So7 boards had BF0 and BF1, adding 2.5x and 3.0x
Late So7 boards supported the third BF2 pin (used on Tillamook, K6-2 and M2 CPUs), adding 4.0x, 4.5x, 5.0x and 5.5x.

3.5x was obtained on CPUs that supported it by remapping the 1.5x setting to 3.5x
6x was obtained on CPUs that supported it by remapping the 2.0x setting to 6.0x

Again depends on chipset. Realistically we're talking Aladdin V or MVP3 here. In the case of the Aladdin V, you need at least G-revision chipset allowing anything the board can handle to be cached. For MVP3, cacheable area is determined by amount of cache. 2MB gives max area, so board should have 2MB in that case.

Type: PLB, hands down. Older async can't handle the speeds and hardly boosts performance either.

Finally, a comment:

That's a very personal consideration. Point is, for me at least, that an 'ultimate' boards should be able support any hardware that could be used on the platform, so in this case any CPU from a Pentium 75 to a K6-3+ 550. AGP and P75 is pretty odd, but a K6-3+ without it is conversely lacking - and K6-2 with Voodoo3 was a common and desirable platform in the day. But yes, it's all about that 'cutoff' and I'd go a bit later for mine - basically anything pre-XP feels vintage to me, and I tended to run newer systems with older operating systems for max speed sensation, so I was still running Windows 98 on my Athlons which most definitely were AGP platforms. But there's nothing wrong with having a different take on it. I would propose however that it's easier to have a board with AGP and not use it, than to have a board without AGP and try to get it anyway...

Also, very late AMD So7 CPUs aside, one of the joys of late So7 boards is pushing the P55C i.e. Pentium MMX to its limits. Intel killed of the P5 line with it for non-technical reasons (they wanted you to buy P2s instead), and the hardware was capable of a lot more than 233MHz. I found it easy to push them to 3.5x 100MHz on an Aladdin V platform and at that spead they easily beat a K6-2 400, and paired very well with early AGP cards.

Woooow! Thank you so much! So much useful and interesting info I didn't know!