VOGONS

Reply 40 of 56, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dormcat wrote on 2023-10-02, 23:57:

AFAIK trading on VOGONS is discouraged at least, if not completely forbidden. Other than eBay or yard sales, try e-waste or simply asking around friends: most people don't even realize vintage computers can be collectible and simply recycle them or even leave them on roadside. I've personally picked up FOUR computers on roadside (three of them working) and "intercepted" one from a neighbor.

And in all fairness, some computers are collectible and some are not. Is anyone going to fault me for having e-wasted some Dell Dimension 2400/3000s back in the day? Don't get me wrong, the Dimension 2400/3000 was a solid workhorse to get non-gamers, elderly aunts, etc into the XP era (and potentially the Internet in the first place) at a low cost. But I don't see how a hotburst with no AGP slot is in any way seriously collectible...

And whether something will be collectible or not, especially in PC land (it's much clearer in Macland), is often not at all clear when you buy the item or shortly after, so it's not even like people will be like "oh yes, that computer in the basement, it has all these special parts - it has the Voodoo5 and the A3D and the ..." In fact, it's often the less high-end parts that end up being more collectible - good example of that, of course, being the i865/LGA775 boards that were intended to give cheap CPU upgrades to people who couldn't afford DDR2/PCI-E. The people who could afford DDR2/PCI-E ended up with utterly forgettable P965 XP/Vista systems with 7900s, the people who couldn't... ended up with a collectible with unappreciated 98SE potential.

And some people have strange 'luck' - I have a good friend who has owned a PowerBook G4 1GHz Titanium (last/greatest OS 9 laptop, not to mention the last of the iconic titanium design that's among the most influential ever), an i865 AGP LGA775 motherboard (not one of the ones with crazy C2Q/C2D support, just an Asus that... I don't know if it supported anything beyond Pentium D 9xx, but that still has some retro potential), and an ivy bridge desktop with a 3570K. The first two... got lost along the way... and I'm buying the ivy bridge system from him to turn it into a XP retro system 😀

Reply 41 of 56, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-03, 01:13:

Going back to your first. Yeah I think that is exactly why those cards are so hard to find. Its not that they wernt common, because I know they were, its that they were ditched 20 years ago. Because everbody knew the graphics card world was going in a completely different direction and retro was then was all about larva lamps and tie dyed shirts.

Yup, and the specialized high-end hardware is going to be the first to be ditched, especially at the rate of progress at the time we are interested in. Who, say, wanted an original GeForce or GeForce 2 at the time the GF4 lineup was around? The MX400 could probably outperform the GeForce 2, the Ti4200 was reasonably priced and much more capable, etc. And similarly, if you bought a Ti4600... not sure what you would have replaced it with, maybe a 7800/7900? Who wanted a Ti4600 in 2006? Could you do Vista's Aero Glass in 2007 on a Ti4600? (I suspect not) So... by 2007, the Ti4600 wasn't even suitable as a hand-me-down card for your grandma's new Vista system, so realistically, if you didn't want to give grandma onboard graphics, you bought her a new 7100 for dirt cheap!

One of the things that has changed in the past decade or so is that computers have become more like cars, i.e. high-end ones today are better than high-end ones ten years ago, low-end ones today are better than low-end ten years ago, but high-end ones from ten years ago and low-end ones today are not really comparable. Would you rather have an i7-3770k with a GTX 960 or would you rather have a brand new "Intel Pentium PQC-N6005" (never heard of that CPU before)? Looking at Geekbench scores, gee... the 3770k is quite a bit faster!

But that just wasn't the case 15-20 years ago, so there was just no home for these high-end things that were less performant than current low-end things...

Reply 42 of 56, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-03, 01:27:

And in all fairness, some computers are collectible and some are not. Is anyone going to fault me for having e-wasted some Dell Dimension 2400/3000s back in the day? Don't get me wrong, the Dimension 2400/3000 was a solid workhorse to get non-gamers, elderly aunts, etc into the XP era (and potentially the Internet in the first place) at a low cost. But I don't see how a hotburst with no AGP slot is in any way seriously collectible...

I agree that not every MB/CPU is worth collecting (I'm not interested in HotBurst either), but a complete desktop system always contains PSU, RAM, and various drives (cheap and working FDD or PATA ODD are not easy to come by nowadays), while many of them have graphics and/or sound cards. Those components are always in short supply for any retro system hobbyist, especially if one can acquire them for free.

VivienM wrote on 2023-10-03, 01:27:

an i865 AGP LGA775 motherboard (not one of the ones with crazy C2Q/C2D support, just an Asus that... I don't know if it supported anything beyond Pentium D 9xx, but that still has some retro potential)

The famous ASRock 775i65G was not particularly popular in its R1.0 form as it could only accept HotBurst P4 and PD; R2.0 suddenly became far more popular by adding support to Core 2 Conroe and Kentsfield, and R3.0 with additional Wolfdale support made it THE motherboard with widest CPU/OS support.

Back to OP's question: I just noticed this sentence:

sofakng wrote on 2023-10-02, 22:00:

The Pentium 3 500 is inside an IBM 300 PL desktop I received a few years ago... I think it supports up to 600 or something like that but I need to check.

You called it "desktop" so I assume yours was Type 6862

300PL.jpg
Filename
300PL.jpg
File size
209.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Taken from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH9uLoIVoyc

The AGP slot is 1.0 (2x); furthermore, either chassis requires special NLX form factor graphics card (evident with L-shaped "missing" on PCB), which limits your selection severely.
6862 desktop: IBM PC-300PL - Diamond powered! and https://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2020 … l300-type-6862/
6892 minitower: IBM Personal Computer 300PL - Type 6892 system config. utility problem
Example of an NLX graphics card (Elsa Erazor X using GeForce 256, one of the best NLX cards you can buy): https://www.anandtech.com/show/442/2

If you're going to stick with this IBM 300PL then I'd suggest you set the resolution to 1024x768 or lower. RacoonRider's rig had a pair of Diamond Monster II Voodoo2 on SLI; that alone can cost you a nice brand new Intel 12th-gen gaming rig today.

Reply 43 of 56, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ancient Electronics says he got his to take an 800Mhz PIII https://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2020 … l300-type-6862/

edit: derp you just posted that link, but yeah, worth mentioning the 800mhz bit.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 44 of 56, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-02, 22:10:
Socket3 wrote on 2023-10-02, 14:32:

If you're targeting period correct hardware, then the Best builds you can have are Athlon 1200 + VIA KT133A chipset board or a Pentium 4 1500 + Intel i850 chipset board.

Former owner of a s. 478 1.9GHz Willamette and an i850 board here. Would discourage the i850 platform, especially on socket 423 (which is the more period-correct of the two sockets here). Need RDRAM, four modules or two modules + continuity RIMMs, finding socket 423-friendly coolers may be a challenge, also wasn't there something about cases for the early P4? I remember seeking a P4-friendly case that my 478 didn't end up needing - I think 423 expected to have HSFs mounted behind the board in some weird way or something. Now, if you can find a full system, or least case/CPU/HSF/RAM/motherboard, that's a different story...

The only i850 system I own is a Dell Optiplex GX400, so I have no idea about the particularities of building such a machine. Regarding cases for early pentium 4's, the issue is lots of ATX enclosures at the time had the PSU sitting on top of the CPU fan - OK on a pentium 3, acceptable on a slow Duron, big no-no on a fast Athlon or a pentium 4, as the PSU would cut all airflow to the CPU fan - that's if it didn't sit directly on top of said fan blocking all airflow.

But yeah, finding socket 423 hardware is a pain in the keester, but I did mention period-correctness would be very expensive. The cheapest way OP could go about it is using an aforementioned 1200MHz Athlon Thunderbird, witch are not that hard to find or that expensive. From my experience the motherboards (VIA KT133A chipset that supports 133MHz FSB) are quite a bit harder to find then the CPUs, but they are around. Alternatively a placeholder board could be used until OP finds a period correct motherboard, like say a very common and cheap KT400. This matters little as OP did say he's not interested in period correctness.

How much better does a 1.5GHz Willamette perform compared to say, a PIII 933 with an i815 and some PC133 SDRAM?

Regarding floating point and memory performance, quite a bit faster actually. My GX400 with a 1.7GHz Willamete and 256MB of RDRAM outperforms my 1.4GHz Pentium 3-S by around 35% on average. Rambus and fast DDR makes a huge difference on Netburst CPUs, and the older socket 370 platform has other limitations as well.

I had a 1600x1200 LCD starting in late Dec. 2001 (you don't want to ask how much those cost back then), and I was always happy with the gaming performance, but I went GF3 Ti500 (which died less than two years in...), ATI 9800 Pro, then (now getting much outside the OP's time range) 7900GT and 8800 GT. IMO, that level of high-endness were the cards you wanted for 1600x1200. Switched to 1920x1200 monitors after that.... and somewhat late.

More for the OP's benefit, 1280x1024 LCDs were expensive until... 2004-5ish. And I think most serious gamers stuck to CRTs in part so they could go lower resolutions...

I don't think anybody who uses an LCD screen on a retro rig is taking period correctness into account, as it would be difficult and most of the time impractical. The first generations of desktop LCDs were dim and have noticeable ghosting compared to newer ones.

I prefer using a CRT whenever possible with older gaming PCs, especially DOS era stuff, as I dislike the way low resolution and 2D games look on modern displays compared to a CRT. I also try to match the size of said CRT to the resolution somehow, for example my 486 builds use a 15" CRT, while my newer say slot 1, socket 7 and so on PCs use 17" CRTs. On even newer builds that primarily play 3D games I usually go with LCD displays -I'm a fan of the Samsung Syncmaster 214T, I have two of these and I absolutely love them - but they're pretty hard to find. They are pretty old, first released in 2005. One o my monitors is made in late 2005 and the other in early 2007. They have a great sPVA LCD panel with a decent response time, 1600x1200 resolution, good contrast and brightness despite being CCFL backlit and come with VGA, DVI, S-VIDEO and Composite inputs. My second choice for LCDs is the Dell UltraSharp 2007 series. VA panel, decent response time, same inputs as the samsung. In fact the panel might be a samsung sPVA. These were released in 2007, but were made for quite a few years. One of my Dell 20" monitors has a 2010 manufacturing date on the back. It's even LED backlit. Don't know about the other two, I've yet to take them apart.

Question as someone who is about to pull the trigger on one such motherboard - in the practical category, what about the rareish boards with AM2 and the VIA K8M800 chipset? Seems to me like it's the AMD equivalent of the i865/LGA775 combo (i.e. plentiful/cheap CPUs but better-than-expected-for-the-time backwards-compatibility) with the additional benefit of using DDR2 RAM, yet I don't see those talked about anywhere.

I've never tried an AM2 board with the K8M800 chipset, but it should be OK for win98 if a lot bit overkill. I do however own a Gigabyte GA-MF3 and have managed to get win98 up and running on it using an Athlon X2 5200+ and a pair of 256MB ram sticks I took out of an old Dell Pentium D PC. It's not the most stable board in windows 98, and that I believe to be relating to the nvidia chipset drivers. Everything runs OK without nForce drivers installed, but the video card will be stuck in PCI mode witch does impact performance when using something like a 6800GT AGP. With chipset drivers installed I've had some stability issues in a few games. My hope was to use this board as a base for an all-in-one late dos-win9x-early to mid XP gaming PC.

It's an interesting board to play around with, but not something I'd use as a daily driver.

Reply 45 of 56, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The hunt for the perfect period correct machine.... I think everyone gets that its , and it seems like there are a ton of YouTube videos about "Building the perfect period ocrrect machine"
I settled with 4 retro PCs now.
A 486 DX 2 66
A pentium 1 233 MMX with geforce 2 and voodoo 2 12 meg card.
Pentium 3 1 Ghz with voodoo 3 , 2000
Pentium 4 Win XP with an Nvidia Quadro FX 5600 1.5 gig card.

Reply 46 of 56, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend a voodoo card for those games, by 1998 things were already starting to move away from voodoo towards nvidia. I mean I can see going for it just for the nostalgia and the name and everything but I have to agree with the people recommending other cards. If you were talking early glide games that supported voodoo specifically and no other cards it’d be different but the games mentioned here are not those.

Reply 47 of 56, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2023-10-03, 16:38:

My second choice for LCDs is the Dell UltraSharp 2007 series. VA panel, decent response time, same inputs as the samsung. In fact the panel might be a samsung sPVA. These were released in 2007, but were made for quite a few years. One of my Dell 20" monitors has a 2010 manufacturing date on the back. It's even LED backlit. Don't know about the other two, I've yet to take them apart.

Which 2007? The 2007FP, which is 1600x1200? (I actually have one of those well-used that has been sitting in a box unused for years and years now...) I actually had a second 2007FP I had bought from a friend, but I sold that one and kept mine (which was the revision that fixed the gradient bug) with the original box/cables/etc. I think there was also a 2007WFP or FPW that was 1680x1050?

Did they quietly upgrade the 2007FP to LED backlighting?!? I'm pretty sure my fairly early model ones were not LED... in fact, I don't even think my U2410 was LED-backlit, one of the reasons it's superthick compared to the U2412/U2415?

Reply 48 of 56, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-03, 01:44:
Yup, and the specialized high-end hardware is going to be the first to be ditched, especially at the rate of progress at the tim […]
Show full quote
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-03, 01:13:

Going back to your first. Yeah I think that is exactly why those cards are so hard to find. Its not that they wernt common, because I know they were, its that they were ditched 20 years ago. Because everbody knew the graphics card world was going in a completely different direction and retro was then was all about larva lamps and tie dyed shirts.

Yup, and the specialized high-end hardware is going to be the first to be ditched, especially at the rate of progress at the time we are interested in. Who, say, wanted an original GeForce or GeForce 2 at the time the GF4 lineup was around? The MX400 could probably outperform the GeForce 2, the Ti4200 was reasonably priced and much more capable, etc. And similarly, if you bought a Ti4600... not sure what you would have replaced it with, maybe a 7800/7900? Who wanted a Ti4600 in 2006? Could you do Vista's Aero Glass in 2007 on a Ti4600? (I suspect not) So... by 2007, the Ti4600 wasn't even suitable as a hand-me-down card for your grandma's new Vista system, so realistically, if you didn't want to give grandma onboard graphics, you bought her a new 7100 for dirt cheap!

One of the things that has changed in the past decade or so is that computers have become more like cars, i.e. high-end ones today are better than high-end ones ten years ago, low-end ones today are better than low-end ten years ago, but high-end ones from ten years ago and low-end ones today are not really comparable. Would you rather have an i7-3770k with a GTX 960 or would you rather have a brand new "Intel Pentium PQC-N6005" (never heard of that CPU before)? Looking at Geekbench scores, gee... the 3770k is quite a bit faster!

But that just wasn't the case 15-20 years ago, so there was just no home for these high-end things that were less performant than current low-end things...

Aero glass....
I seem to remember something about aero being the only reason why people bought the FX5200.
It was a total dog of a card but it was better than trying to run aero off the onboard graphics or something... I cant quite remember. Maybe Im confusing it with something else.
The reason why it doesnt support DX properly was because they didnt care, it wasnt mean to... it was to do with aero. I dont know. So long ago now.

Ive got a 7100GS here for some reason. I have no idea why I have it...

Reply 49 of 56, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-04, 00:10:

It was a total dog of a card but it was better than trying to run aero off the onboard graphics or something... I cant quite remember. Maybe Im confusing it with something else.

One of the things that led to Vista's bad reputation is that most Intel onboard graphics did not support Aero Glass. IIRC, you need a 945 chipset for Aero Glass, and there were a lot of 865/915s in the field in early 2007...

I don't know if things were as gloomy in AMD land, but MS giving 'Windows Vista Capable' stickers to systems with i915s really, really, really screwed them in the long run. I hope every day Intel wakes up and wonders where things went sideways in the last 15 years, the rise of ARM, Chrome (which is not exactly dependent on x86/x64) becoming the defacto standard 'OS' platform for any new thing in the past decade, etc, they remember how they destroyed the vitality of the Windows platform by sabotaging Vista with those i915s...

Reply 50 of 56, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I seem to remember my mate selling a lot of FX5200 cards because of aero glass.
Everybody knew they werent good cards for games but they did allow aero to run on potato powered PCs.

The 5200s success was something to do with Windows... But my memories are so vague on it all because it just wasnt my area of interest.
I remember running some dual P3 systems and I was starting to get into P4 Xeons too...

Reply 52 of 56, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maryoo wrote on 2023-10-04, 13:28:

Radeon 9600 Pro

As an owner I'd like to concur: low power consumption (no external power required), DX9 and Win9x compatible, fast enough for >95% Win9x games at 1600x1200, native DVI connector, and readily available with a fair price. However it also needs an AGP 3.0 (8x) slot; I'm not sure if OP has such a motherboard at hand. Acquiring another system would be a completely different story, though.

Reply 53 of 56, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The first generations of desktop LCDs were dim and have noticeable ghosting compared to newer ones.

What's hilarious also is the nVidia fanbois who were making so much noise about Voodoos downsampled to 16bit output... some of them jumped on LCDs early and had 15bit panels... plus the ghosting, lag etc.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 54 of 56, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-04, 13:50:

The first generations of desktop LCDs were dim and have noticeable ghosting compared to newer ones.

What's hilarious also is the nVidia fanbois who were making so much noise about Voodoos downsampled to 16bit output... some of them jumped on LCDs early and had 15bit panels... plus the ghosting, lag etc.

Actually 32 bit-color mode looks a lot better than 16-bit color mode from any video card and 3D accelerators, especially with color gradients and alpha-blending effects.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 56 of 56, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No 3 notches, so no AGP 2x of the 440BX era. You need AGP universal slot at least.
Only Radeons 9500/9700/9800, pro and non-pro models (excluding XT) can be slotted in anywhere.