VOGONS

First post, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Attached is the picture but was in a rural town in Japan and visited the Hard Off thrift store. Mostly was there for the cheap video games but I was hoping to find some vintage computers. As you see in the picture they had an old P3 IBM desktop for what was essentially less than $20. I don't really think I could have put it safely in luggage to check at the airport so I had to leave it but I wanted to share my find.

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    Filename
    comp.jpg
    File size
    146.64 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    cheap computer in japan
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 10, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
giantclam wrote on 2023-10-04, 01:17:

Is this a Japan-centric desktop-form-factor version of the "Acer" Aptiva K6ses of the 1998ish era time period?

Reply 3 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great price if it works ! Where were you flying to ? I am one of those odd ones that under your circumstance might have bought it and stripped the cpu, ram, hd, cdrom and floppy out and fly home with them in my luggage.....those alone are worth X times the $20

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it was something I really wanted, I'd have thought "Hey, I'm in a thrift store, where do they put the luggage?..." and gone to see about a suitcase that it fit into and a few pairs of cheap jeans to roll up and wedge it in place.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 10, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man I'm envious, I've wanted to go to Japan and visit the Hard Off stores for a long time. I used to follow a YouTube channel of a couple of guys who live there and record their visits to the stores. It's crazy how much video game stuff you can find over there.

Reply 7 of 10, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you for finding this, I don't know why I thought it was a P3. Maybe It's the jetlag talking 🤣.

Reply 8 of 10, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-10-04, 01:45:

Great price if it works ! Where were you flying to ? I am one of those odd ones that under your circumstance might have bought it and stripped the cpu, ram, hd, cdrom and floppy out and fly home with them in my luggage.....those alone are worth X times the $20

This was in a small town in Hakone.

Reply 9 of 10, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-04, 01:41:

Is this a Japan-centric desktop-form-factor version of the "Acer" Aptiva K6ses of the 1998ish era time period?

Yeah, the JP market was a different thang... the example OP found is a really nice kitsch example with the sky blue facia highlights =)

Reply 10 of 10, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thenix wrote on 2023-10-04, 08:56:

thank you for finding this, I don't know why I thought it was a P3. Maybe It's the jetlag talking 🤣.

No probs...might not be jetlag ; for sure the Aptiva label was marketed in JP a bit like the rest of the world, with the same model available in AMD or Intel CPU guises