VOGONS

First post, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi all 😀

as always sorry for silly questions or if is right sections, but this forum is full of nice fellas and I know someone can always help me out, somehow 😁

my question is: I have a single HDD with dual boot inside (Windows 98 SE installed first, and Windows 2000 installed later) and by far is all working well.

When i boot, i get the classic black and white boot selection screen where i can choose the two OS's, but W98 is labeled just "Microsoft Windows", is there any way to change the name? I remember there was something inside the boot.ini file in Windows 2000, as is the system itselfs that created this boot (for this i installed W98 first and W2K later, for doing this "trick") but i really cannot remember well.. sound silly i know, but i just would like just to change it to "Windows 98 SE". I remember was somehow possible on msconfig, but W2K doesn't have it, and even using the XP one i remember that you couldn't edit anything at all. Any third party program could be okay too, i guess.

Thanks for any help 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is in the boot.ini file in root of C: . First you must make a copy and save as something like boot_ini.bak using Notepad (in case you screw something up 🤣)
OK reopen boot.ini and you can edit the description, you may need to change the System attribute and maybe the Hidden attribute first or you may get an error when you try to save it after editing (then re-apply system and hidden)...
Here is some explaination and examples: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoo … le-windows-2000

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-10-07, 17:49:

It is in the boot.ini file in root of C: . First you must make a copy and save as something like boot_ini.bak using Notepad (in case you screw something up 🤣)
OK reopen boot.ini and you can edit the description, you may need to change the System attribute and maybe the Hidden attribute first or you may get an error when you try to save it after editing (then re-apply system and hidden)...
Here is some explaination and examples: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoo … le-windows-2000

thank you so much for your kind answer 😜 tomorrow i'll totally try out and let you know, also guide looks interessing.. hope to don't mess or screw up something 🤣 !!

additional question: i'll have access to my boy only tomorrow, but i think i had half-idea that editing the boot.ini file indeed was the solution, but i also remember that in a rush i had tried to seek it but i didn't found on C:\, not even enabling "show hidden\system files" thing, or it wasn't like that on the guide.. could it be? Anyhow still thanks, tomorrow i will totally try out 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It will probably be on the Win98 partition, ie the first FAT/NTFS primary partition when you installed 2000, at the time they just very generously conceded the ability to create multiple primary partitions… 😁