VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CharlieFoxtrot wrote on 2023-10-19, 05:35:

make sure that you have PSU that can provide enough power on 5V rail, so you don’t run into issues because of that.

Umh right now i am using a 500W semi-modern PSU with 45A on 5V, is it good?

Anyway little update for those who can help me! im so desperate 🙁

So i bought that ASUS A7S8X-MX on eBay, came today and had just time in a rush to plug it "as is" (on cloth table, no case just on fly setup) and the mobo it works. I installed fast the ESS and the HDD with MSDOS 6.22 inside and......almost still same problem.

The southbridge is a SiS 964. Now at the loading driver Allegro-1 screen i get TDMA (btw, can someone kindly please explain me in a short and simple words what are DDMA and TDMA, and what are the differences or\and which one is better?) but i get almost the same issues of before:

No SFX in Blood, Duke3D (any Build engine game, both in 8bit or 16bit). No sounds on Epic Megagames titles (Jazz and Epic Pinball, Jill of The Jungle works tho) Or maybe im r3t4rd and i am really missing something. All i know is that on that specific 2006 Asus it all worked flawlessy, despite it was a PCI-Express and DDR2 and Socket 775, kinda too much modern.

Seriously i feel i wasted 34€. I mean is also my fault that i rushed to buy this mobo just because it was from 2004, had AGP and Socket 462.

Fact is, i noticed unplugging the HDD (so start without nothing) that i can see the IRQ screen right after the invalid boot device blabla. and i can see that Multimedia Device is under IRQ 10. How the hell i can set it up on IRQ 5? maybe this could be the problem. I've already pratically disabled everything that takes resources (Floppy, Serial Ports, Integrated Audio, Ethernet, USB... everything.)

Another fact is with my enormous disappointment, this bios is VERY VERY poor (is the one that came with, the 1005, the latest one i think) what if i downgrade it?

There are really few options, under CPU you can only read the name and Mhz: nothing else. No OC. No possibility of disable L2 cache. Just nothing.

Also, looks like there is NO possibility of choose manually the IRQ assignment. the 2006 Asus had it (the screen with all IRQ and like "ISA Legacy\Reserved", this from 2003-2004 no. Really?

There's an option to set like IRQ to Auto or Manual, but looks like nothing change, no unlocking other options. One of the most poor asus bios i ever seen.

Please help me, because on some other games that in a rush i tried, everything just worked fine (Doom, Wolf3D, Another World, Prince of Persia all worked okay) but is pointless to have a system where sounds work for half of games. The set blaster is A220 I5 D1 T6, but on the Allegro-1 boot up driver screen i get IRQ 10 or IRQ 7, T4 and D1.

Please anyone, i just want to all work like on that 2006 Asus incredibly did.

these are basically the only options aviable on bios:

946473cf2fa7d7df1d5a0e065316026f.jpg
Filename
File size
193.82 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 21 of 23, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-10-26, 19:23:
Umh right now i am using a 500W semi-modern PSU with 45A on 5V, is it good? […]
Show full quote

make sure that you have PSU that can provide enough power on 5V rail, so you don’t run into issues because of that.

So i bought that ASUS A7S8X-MX on eBay, came today and had just time in a rush to plug it "as is" (on cloth table, no case just on fly setup) and the mobo it works. I installed fast the ESS and the HDD with MSDOS 6.22 inside and......almost still same problem.

The southbridge is a SiS 964. Now at the loading driver Allegro-1 screen i get TDMA (btw, can someone kindly please explain me in a short and simple words what are DDMA and TDMA, and what are the differences or\and which one is better?) but i get almost the same issues of before:

No SFX in Blood, Duke3D (any Build engine game, both in 8bit or 16bit). No sounds on Epic Megagames titles (Jazz and Epic Pinball, Jill of The Jungle works tho) Or maybe im r3t4rd and i am really missing something. All i know is that on that specific 2006 Asus it all worked flawlessy, despite it was a PCI-Express and DDR2 and Socket 775, kinda too much modern.

Seriously i feel i wasted 34€. I mean is also my fault that i rushed to buy this mobo just because it was from 2004, had AGP and Socket 462.

Fact is, i noticed unplugging the HDD (so start without nothing) that i can see the IRQ screen right after the invalid boot device blabla. and i can see that Multimedia Device is under IRQ 10. How the hell i can set it up on IRQ 5? maybe this could be the problem. I've already pratically disabled everything that takes resources (Floppy, Serial Ports, Integrated Audio, Ethernet, USB... everything.)

Another fact is with my enormous disappointment, this bios is VERY VERY poor (is the one that came with, the 1005, the latest one i think) what if i downgrade it?

There are really few options, under CPU you can only read the name and Mhz: nothing else. No OC. No possibility of disable L2 cache. Just nothing.

Also, looks like there is NO possibility of choose manually the IRQ assignment. the 2006 Asus had it (the screen with all IRQ and like "ISA Legacy\Reserved", this from 2003-2004 no. Really?

There's an option to set like IRQ to Auto or Manual, but looks like nothing change, no unlocking other options. One of the most poor asus bios i ever seen.

Please help me, because on some other games that in a rush i tried, everything just worked fine (Doom, Wolf3D, Another World, Prince of Persia all worked okay) but is pointless to have a system where sounds work for half of games. The set blaster is A220 I5 D1 T6, but on the Allegro-1 boot up driver screen i get IRQ 10 or IRQ 7, T4 and D1.

I recall there was a SYS driver (for CONFIG.SYS) file that could route the IRQ/DMA to the value you want. It may solve problems in some cases, but not all.

From my personal experience, unless you place the card in a slot that makes it get IRQ5 (or 7 if you disabled or moved your parallel port), the ESS card won't work properly. Merely reserving the IRQ from BIOS hardly ever worked if the card is simply in a wrong PCI slot.

Reply 22 of 23, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-10-27, 01:29:
Show full quote

I recall there was a SYS driver (for CONFIG.SYS) file that could route the IRQ/DMA to the value you want. It may solve problems in some cases, but not all.

From my personal experience, unless you place the card in a slot that makes it get IRQ5 (or 7 if you disabled or moved your parallel port), the ESS card won't work properly. Merely reserving the IRQ from BIOS hardly ever worked if the card is simply in a wrong PCI slot.

Hi!
where i can get that. sys? Do i have to load it in the config.sys as device? before or after the essaudio.com? Thanks and sorry!

By the way i managed somehow to make the card see it as IRQ 5 and DMA 1 despite is very very tricky and more as random fortune (sometimes even if i put the PnP Bios on or of, or i enable o disable the SATA chip the IRQ can randomly change to 10 or 7)

But still, no luck. IRQ PCI is 5, Set Blaster is set on 5, no EMM386 loaded and everything seems correct but i still can't get FX effects on Blood/Duke, no sounds on EpicPinball and Jazz, i even tried Quake and i get literally 0 sounds. I just don't get it.

My only other options are my two Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 model SB0060 and SB0100 or the Sound Blaster 16 PCI (yikes!) but i honestly hate them because both sucks.

They require EMM386.exe as mandatory to be loaded (ESS don't) and this can already fk up LOT of games. Also, i don't know if i am the only one in earth but the quality for/from me is AWFUL: with sb live! as i said i never got for example Another World to have sound, because it cries from detecting the memory management that any pci sb card require to be loaded. Music in build games (expecially the music theme test on Duke3D) sounds slowly, chopped, like it goes on different tempo struggling. Last but not last, other games sounds sometimes distorted and on Wolfenstein 3D, when you walk against a wall and you get that bad sound (like farting 🤣) hitting walls, the frame rate drastically drops making the music hard lagging and magically disappear after you move out from the wall and trust me guys that's annoying and happens only with sound blasters cards.

There's no other way? What PCI card would work 100% (or close as it) with my chipset? And maybe one that don't requires a TSR driver or even better a memory manager?

thanks 🙁

Reply 23 of 23, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-10-28, 08:51:
Hi! where i can get that. sys? Do i have to load it in the config.sys as device? before or after the essaudio.com? Thanks and […]
Show full quote
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-10-27, 01:29:
Show full quote

Hi!
where i can get that. sys? Do i have to load it in the config.sys as device? before or after the essaudio.com? Thanks and sorry!

By the way i managed somehow to make the card see it as IRQ 5 and DMA 1 despite is very very tricky and more as random fortune (sometimes even if i put the PnP Bios on or of, or i enable o disable the SATA chip the IRQ can randomly change to 10 or 7)

But still, no luck. IRQ PCI is 5, Set Blaster is set on 5, no EMM386 loaded and everything seems correct but i still can't get FX effects on Blood/Duke, no sounds on EpicPinball and Jazz, i even tried Quake and i get literally 0 sounds. I just don't get it.

My only other options are my two Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 model SB0060 and SB0100 or the Sound Blaster 16 PCI (yikes!) but i honestly hate them because both sucks.

They require EMM386.exe as mandatory to be loaded (ESS don't) and this can already fk up LOT of games. Also, i don't know if i am the only one in earth but the quality for/from me is AWFUL: with sb live! as i said i never got for example Another World to have sound, because it cries from detecting the memory management that any pci sb card require to be loaded. Music in build games (expecially the music theme test on Duke3D) sounds slowly, chopped, like it goes on different tempo struggling. Last but not last, other games sounds sometimes distorted and on Wolfenstein 3D, when you walk against a wall and you get that bad sound (like farting 🤣) hitting walls, the frame rate drastically drops making the music hard lagging and magically disappear after you move out from the wall and trust me guys that's annoying and happens only with sound blasters cards.

There's no other way? What PCI card would work 100% (or close as it) with my chipset? And maybe one that don't requires a TSR driver or even better a memory manager?

thanks 🙁

That SYS file should be shipped along with the TSR executable unless your archive doesn't have it. Guess ESS cards don't work with SiS chipsets, huh. I never really had a SiS board so I never had the chance to test that.

The TSR for ESS cards have fewest limitations among all cards I know of that have working DOS support. It works with and without EMM386 and even real mode with UMBPCI. If your chipset supports DDMA it will utilize it and will not consume any memory, for the supposedly "chipset-independent" TDMA it takes a small amount of memory.

I don't think there would be a PCI sound card that work out-of-box without any TSR or memory manager. For a PCI card to utilize legacy (ISA) resources and especially DMA, a lot of dirty work must be done. If not a TSR, then maybe an option ROM...