VOGONS

First post, by jkamm1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know if APM (Advanced Power Management) cards exist for non-APM boards? If not, can one be designed to enable this feature on non-APM boards? I was doing some work on an old IBM Aptiva 2144-27P SL-C board and installed an extra lead (a purple wire from a broken adapter was a perfect fit here) on an ATX to AT PSU adapter to connect the purple +5VSB pin to a special three pin header on the motherboad to get the board to power on as well as the green switch and black ground pins to get true APM support working on this board. The green connects to red and the Black connects to black on that two-pin connector i used. the green and black wires normally connect to a toggle switch. Doing so got me wondering if such a feat is possible. I understand a controller would be needed for windows to install its APM driver and operate the circuitry. A case that supports the momentary push button "soft on" switch as well as an ATX power supply would also be needed. What do you think about such an idea? Feel free to let me know.

Attachments

• 20230921_000617.jpg
    Filename
    20230921_000617.jpg
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20230921_000716.jpg
    Filename
    20230921_000716.jpg
    File size
    1.96 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20230921_000740.jpg
    Filename
    20230921_000740.jpg
    File size
    1.77 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MY first thought is: if the BIOS and chipset does not support APM then even if the hardware were there... would a mod work ? I would think no.
added: Maybe mkarcher or one of the other super smart guys can shed some light on this approach.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 6, by nhattu1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for example, you can build an andruino board that take command from serial port of pc, when you shutdown, you can write your own program that will send command via pc serial port to andruino.
In andruino, when receive that command you can program it to cut off the power to pc by activate/deactivate the relay to the PS_ON pin of PSU (you can power the andruino via 5vsb from psu)
basically you need to implement the circuit to manage the power to the pc

Reply 4 of 6, by jkamm1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nhattu1986 wrote on 2023-10-11, 04:20:

for example, you can build an andruino board that take command from serial port of pc, when you shutdown, you can write your own program that will send command via pc serial port to andruino.
In andruino, when receive that command you can program it to cut off the power to pc by activate/deactivate the relay to the PS_ON pin of PSU (you can power the andruino via 5vsb from psu)
basically you need to implement the circuit to manage the power to the pc

sounds like an internal serial port card can be made with an open bios of sorts that can tell the arduino to do it's thing as well as be apm compliant. you see, this needs to be an add-on card that just works with existing windows 95 and up apm drivers to interest people. this will also require a soft on power button and a ATX PSU in the case. I was thinking about this being on an isa add-in board with extention bios.

Reply 5 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like the APM functions are called by OS through Int15 so it should be possible to get by even with just a TSR and not explicitly need an option ROM or anything.
APM 1.2 spec can be found easily through google, it looks to have all the info necessary to get going.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 6, by jkamm1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nice to know but an option ROM seems to be more eligant as it would work on more opperating systems unless of course the opperating system can still access the controller without either of them installed.