VOGONS

First post, by ldare1000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I have a Dell D400 laptop which originally came with Windows XP, however Dell offer Windows 2000 drivers for this so I figured I would go for Windows 2000.

I have two 40gb Hard Drivers, one has Dos 6.22 on and one is NTFS 40gb formatted.

I get the same error attached when using either when trying to install. I've tried Dell Windows 2000 Disk and Microsoft Windows 2000 Disk and both the same.

Amy ideas

Reply 1 of 5, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've gotten all sorts of weird Win 2000 errors that looked a lot like that. In one case I messed with the hardware endlessly, trying different cables in case one was defective, different hard drives, different RAM, you name it. Turned out the CD-R I burned it to was just no good. Burned another copy and I was good to go. I keep meaning to find a way to install Win 2000 off a USB drive, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

The other problem I've had is that drives formerly formatted with a GPT don't seem to want to convert or format to a MBR easily. I always have to run fdisk /mbr to, I assume, wipe out some GPT junk first. I can't remember if this manifested as blue screens like that when Win 2000 needed to reboot to continue the installation, or just errors about system startup files not being found.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check to see if the controller is set to IDE in the BIOS and make sure you are using a slipstreamed SP4

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote on 2023-10-12, 19:05:

Check to see if the controller is set to IDE in the BIOS and make sure you are using a slipstreamed SP4

This ^^ especially the the IDE controller, it must set to IDE or ATA mode and not be set to AHCI or else blue screens on install (same happened to me with a older Vostro lappy)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 5, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It cant find a hard disk controller.
As above. set the controller to ATA.
The drivers are already intergrated, but they are only the basic ones, the chipset driver can be integrated into the install disc using something like nLite.