VOGONS

Reply 20 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2023-10-17, 03:26:
Ethernet III drivers are included in Win3x, Never used them but doubt newer drivers offer much benefit. You will also need TCP/I […]
Show full quote
AlessandroB wrote on 2023-10-16, 05:53:
in my ignorance I thought of using networking via dos, I had read something and it seemed difficult but now you can confirm it f […]
Show full quote

in my ignorance I thought of using networking via dos, I had read something and it seemed difficult but now you can confirm it for me. what do you think about this?

286 win 3.11
386 win 3.11
486 win 3.11
Pentium60 3.11 or win95
Pentium 200 Win98
Pentium II/III Win98
PentiumIV Win98

-at this point I would start with win3.11, except that I absolutely don't know how to do it, I have installed the card in every computer but what do I do now? I'm looking for 3com drivers for win 3.11?

-On the server side, however, I haven't understood how to act. What is the simplest method to connect via 3.11 machines? A dedicated computer? A dedicated NAS?

tnks

Ethernet III drivers are included in Win3x, Never used them but doubt newer drivers offer much benefit.
You will also need TCP/IP for Windows, search for tcp32b.exe

Here is a good guide on installing Windows networking.
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=495913#p495913

and this on how to enable file sharing
https://www.geocities.ws/politalk/net/win311.htm

for best success you want workgroup, username and password to be the same on all computers. If you don't 9x and earlier will get confused and get stuck in a loop asking for log in details when accessing different machines.

dos, win3x don't have any ability to browse the network. You have to map a drive to a share. I find it easier to copy the files from my more modern PC onto 3x computers then the other way round, but it can be done.

People here are reporting some NAS devices no longer support the required SMB version required. In this case you would want to use a PC in the middle.

See how much luck you have with the above, If you can get an IP address from DHCP then you know your on the right track and should be able to share files with anything upto XP pretty much as is 

Mapping drives adds a lot of complexity, (theoretical) security issues and because of that lack of support by modern systems for old protocols supported by old ones.

Certainly on something at 386 level or older, I'd keep it simple: just run an FTP server on the old system and connect with an FTP client (tip: FileZilla) from the modern one. That works with just about any old system and any new one. I've even copied stuff from my Android phone to an XT in that way.

I prefer doing that in DOS with mTCP as already described above, as it's simple and lightweight, but if you prefer Windows of Workgroups, you can also do it that way.