VOGONS

First post, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

I picked up a new-in-box Belkin USB2 PCI card (with an NEC chip) and tried installing it in my Gateway E-4200. During POST I get a number of "Resource Conflict" errors (see screenshot) - I've not seen these before, as far as I remember.

Other cards in the PC are an ISA sound card (Trust card with OPTi chipset), PCI 3Com NIC, AGP Voodoo 3 2000. I may try removing the 3Com card as I haven't used the Ethernet in a long while - perhaps that will "free up" resources.

I had a look around in the BIOS for anything useful, but there's not much in there. I notice the "Plug & Play OS" mode is set to disabled, and have not yet tried messing with this yet. I dual boot Windows 98 SE and DOS 6.22, and I think that may be why I had it set to disabled.

Is this a "You have too much stuff" error, or maybe a "You need to be using Plug & Play OS and let Windows figure this out" kind of error. Or both? Or neither? I'd appreciate any thoughts please =)

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_215018876.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20231015_215018876.jpg
    File size
    76.08 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Resource conflicts
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes try removing the NIC and put the USB2 card in that slot, you could also first try disabling the onboard USB as a test to see if the two are not compatible (same memory range or other resources)...
Usually you do not need to change the PnP OS from disabled on DOS/WIn9x boxes from my experience....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good advice, thankyou. I removed the NIC but I still had to move the USB card to the 1st PCI slot before it would boot without the same resource conflict messages.

I was able to install the USB card's drivers from CD and then NUSB to allow USB mass storage to work in Windows 98SE. This is working but I'm now seeing Windows freeze pretty regularly when I'm using the USB, e.g. I was able to copy an 80MB file from USB to hard disk in about 10 seconds, but when I started to copy another file I got a freeze before it got started. Mouse and keyboard (PS/2) stop responding and I have to just power off. I'm willing to accept this is just Win98 being Win98 and just live without it I guess. I'm considering trying out Windows ME so perhaps that will fare better.

Reply 3 of 9, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows ME did not fare any better. I did a fresh install of ME, installed chipset drivers (it told me all drivers were already installed), video driver, and finally USB 2 card and driver from its CD.

USB flash drive worked with the built-in support in Windows ME, and I was able to copy small files back and forth. Trying to copy a large file (a 500MB ISO file) froze everything just as instantly as it didon Windows 98 SE.

I tried copy the same file using the USB 1 ports on the motherboard and noticed a couple of things. Obviously it was very slow, but it was also slowing the whole system down with the mouse becoming very laggy and jumpy. It makes me wonder if large USB file transfer at USB2 speed is just too heavy a job for a 450MHz Pentium 3?

Reply 6 of 9, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With Pnp Aware OS enabled, Windows ME still froze up but I could still move the mouse. Couldn't click anything.

I installed Windows 2000 with some interesting results. Again, small transfers worked ok, but larger ones would freeze up - not the whole computer, but explorer would stall out. A couple of times the USB drive appeared to disconnect with Windows telling me off for not safely removing it first. Thinking it might just be a bad flash drive I tried others, but with the same results. It seems like the USB interface is falling over when pushed to do very much work. I tried 2000 with PnP Aware OS both on and off with the same results -I believe its supposed to be off for 2k/XP onwards anyway.

I'm ready to give up on the card at this point - it may actually be broken, or just terminally incompatible with my system.

Reply 9 of 9, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I tried this USB 2 card in another computer, a Pentium 4 machine with Windows XP, and it worked flawlessly. It was using drivers built into XP rather than from the CD that came with the card. Did a 4GB file copy from a flash drive in about 3 1/2 minutes, so performance was in the right ballpark.

I figured this was worth a try in the Gateway machine where I'd had trouble, so I installed XP and then the USB card. It freezes the computer (mouse and all) on file copies of any significant size, just as with other Windows versions, PnP aware or not. It just doesn't like this computer I guess.

Edit: I bought another card, a Startech card with a VIA chip, and it just worked.