VOGONS

First post, by stlouis1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been working on a socket 7 build for a few weeks now since I managed to acquire a board, case and power supply to house some parts I've had around for years. Specs below

Aopen AP5T
AMD K6-2 400mhz
128MB SDRAM
ATI Rage something PCI
Voodoo 2 12mb SLI
Win98se installed on CF card via IDE adapter

I followed some info I found on doing a resistor jumper to drop the voltage for the CPU as the board did not officially support it. Now I've been having some stability issues when I try to set the CPU anywhere over 266mhz. It runs fine at 266mhz but it's a 400mhz chip and when I try to clock it higher the system freezes mainly when doing things like trying to install things from CD, or even copying the contents of a CD to the local drive which makes for an easy first test. RAM tests fine, and I've tried different ram already just in case. I also picked up another K6-2 500mhz thinking maybe my CPU was faulty as my previous Asus TX97 board that I had years ago did blow a bunch of capacitors

Now this current board doesn't appear to have any bad capacitors but I half wonder if maybe I should change them anyway. I did measure the voltage coming out of the CPU socket when I did the resistor jumper to verify and it looks good there so I don't really suspect the motherboard so replacing capacitors on it doesn't.

What I have noticed that has my attention is the 12v rail on the Enermax AT power supply I have is low, closer to 10v low. It was putting out almost 16v prior to me replacing a couple capacitors. But searching around the board here I've found a few posts on here about these old AT psu's outputting low, some of which appear to have been caused by resistors being out of spec, simple enough things like that. I plan to open this one up again and start metering components

but beyond that, based on the description, does anyone else have any other thoughts on what I might look at?

Reply 2 of 13, by stlouis1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do have the latest BIOS already so no issue there. I do have stuff here to make an ATX PSU adapter and I can do that to test but I have a limited number of ATX PSU's that put out enough amps on the 5v and 3.3v rails and need the ones I have for other builds ultimately but I was thinking after I initially posted that would at least be a way to verify

Reply 3 of 13, by stlouis1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For reference, this is the Enermax AT PSU I have right now. Maybe someone see's something

Attachments

Reply 4 of 13, by stlouis1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay, i don't think it's power supply. I wasn't metering it under load. the 12v holds steady at 12.3~v.

I've got the new k6 clocked at 333mhz right now and it's stable if I disable the external cache. I thought maybe it was the cache that couldn't handle the speeds but 333mhz became my new stable limit on the 500mhz chip.

Not really sure what else to look at now...

Reply 5 of 13, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stlouis1 wrote on 2023-10-16, 13:40:

Aopen AP5T
AMD K6-2 400mhz
128MB SDRAM

1. You figured out the undocumented voltage setting, but you are still trying to run K6-2 in nonsuper7. I too had 430VX and TX boards behave very unstable with it, rebooting, etc. The opinion that I heard about it is that the power delivery circuits on boards like there are not designed for CPU as demanding K6-2. Midrange CXT top at about 20-21W TDP, compared this to Pentium 233MMX at 17W, and that is like the top thing, mind you. Common P166 parts were 10-15W. The speaking for itself analogy would be putting a 140W Phenom in a 125W rated motherboard. Back to the topic, do you notice the FETs get particular hot with K6-2?
2. Another thing to consider is flaky SD-RAM controllers in 430. If you have EDO/72pin or can at least use a slower module like a single 32mb PC-66, I would recommend it. Personally I had instability with as much as 64MB SDRAM on 430VX even though the system passed memtest86+.

Also, which exact revision you have? (1, 2, 3)

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 7 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruno128 wrote on 2023-10-17, 09:41:

[...]

2. Another thing to consider is flaky SD-RAM controllers in 430. If you have EDO/72pin or can at least use a slower module like a single 32mb PC-66, I would recommend it. Personally I had instability with as much as 64MB SDRAM on 430VX even though the system passed memtest86+.

For the i430VX I'd fully agree, but this is a 430TX with the same memory controler as in the 440EX. It can handle 256MB DIMMs (as long as they use 16Mx8 chips) and the only reason it doesn't do 512MB total is that it's been nerfed by Intel to avoid competing with more expensive platforms.

The compatibility isn't related to speed (RAM speed ratings are maximums, just like speed limits you can always go slower without ill efects) but to chip organization, as the i430VX - the first SDRAM chipset anywhere - had some pretty severe limitations. Newer DIMMs tended to have higher density chips, which the VX couldn't handle, older ones usually lower density stuff, but there was no hard guarantee that a PC-66 DIMM would have the correct configuration. For the TX, anything up to 128Mb per chip with at least 8 lines was fine (same as the venerable i440BX, except the BX supported more DIMMs and overall memory).

Reply 8 of 13, by stlouis1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I left it running 3dmark 99 all night. Just came back this morning and it was still running. The FETs next to the CPU are pretty cool to the touch, at least the heatsinks are so I don't get the sense I'm straining anything there. Right now it's at 333mhz still with external cache disabled. I'd need to do more thorough testing but I'm not convinced disabling the external cache really did anything of it that was just a fluke on that particular run.

The motherboard's silkscreen says version 3.4

I'm using a double sided stick of 128mb PC100 and the bus is set to 66mhz so it is running slower. I've had the same issue with 72pin ram in there as that's what I was using initially.

The freezing always happens when trying to copy data from CD ROM to local disk, or installing a game from CD so I wonder if the issue is less with CPU or anything else. Maybe the issue something related to IDE controller specifically?

Reply 9 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IDE controllers don't like being overclocked, but at 66MHz FSB / 33MHz PCI that shouldn't be the case here.

Are you running the HDD and CDRom on the same IDE channel or two different ones? If they're on the same, try separating them (HDD as primary master, CDRom as secondary master)

Reply 11 of 13, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stlouis1 wrote on 2023-10-17, 11:22:

The freezing always happens when trying to copy data from CD ROM to local disk,

In Windows and in MS-DOS with OAKCDROM/MSCDEX?
Do you have another CD-ROM drive to test?

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 12 of 13, by stlouis1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's all in Windows. Haven't really used native DOS much for anything more than updating the BIOS. I do have another CD Rom drive actually. The one in the machine is an old Creative 52x. I've got an unknown 24-32x drive I could try, as well as some other more modern CD/DVD combo drives. I'm pretty sure I tested a different optical as I have one on the bench but I may have only used it on one of the other P3 / early athlon setups I'm still testing now that I think of it

Reply 13 of 13, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruno128 wrote on 2023-10-17, 09:41:

You figured out the undocumented voltage setting, but you are still trying to run K6-2 in nonsuper7. I too had 430VX and TX boards behave very unstable with it, rebooting, etc. The opinion that I heard about it is that the power delivery circuits on boards like there are not designed for CPU as demanding K6-2.

Had a similar situation with a K6-2+ CPU on a Gigabyte GA-586ATV motherboard (based on the Intel 430VX chipset) where it caused restart loops during POST even after using a voltage adapter. The solution in my case was to downgrade the motherboard BIOS.

stlouis1 wrote on 2023-10-17, 11:22:

Right now it's at 333mhz still with external cache disabled. I'd need to do more thorough testing but I'm not convinced disabling the external cache really did anything of it that was just a fluke on that particular run.

The motherboard cache runs at the speed of the FSB and isn't affected by the CPU frequency.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS