VOGONS

First post, by polishvito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could use some help with this one. I picked up this very odd little luggable machine:

IMG_1424.jpg
Filename
IMG_1424.jpg
File size
592.76 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_1427.jpg
Filename
IMG_1427.jpg
File size
572.49 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The Portable PC III. Seems to be made by Orchid Systems. It is a weird beast. It has a generic (G2 chipset) 12mhz 286 MB with 1mb ram onboard. There is very little in the way of documentation on these. From scanning forums it seems like it was a generic case used with a variety of applications.

I got it in pretty rough shape, both cosmetically and was nonfunctional. After taking it apart I tested the motherboard outside the case and some caps exploded. After a recap, it posts. The 5.25" floppy and IDE HD work as well. The 3.5" does not, I'm waiting on some (nonpolar) caps to arrive to try to get that going. Had to desolder the dead dallas clock chip and hack it with a CR2032. Also was extensively cleaned.

What I need some help with is the video, presumably the video ram. This machine has a CGA clone card made by Orchid Systems:

IMG_1482.jpg
Filename
IMG_1482.jpg
File size
764.45 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The LCD is connected through two ribbon cables that go into this, as well an unusual 3pin power connection that is built into the PSU. Meaning that I don't really have an option to switch out this card because I don't have a way of connecting the display with those ribbon cables to something else. I can't find any documentation online regarding this card. It has a bunch of DIP switches as well that I have no idea how to set or if they are set properly. I just have them left how it came.

As an aside I did try a VGA ISA card hooked up to an external display but it gives me beep codes with a display error - couldn't see any jumpers or switches (at least labeled) to switch to VGA on the motherboard. I also tried a 5153 CGA monitor with the stock video card external connection but could not get anything to display on the external monitor.

Text mode displays fine in both 40 and 80 columns. When I try to run something in graphics mode however, half the screen is corrupted:

IMG_1483.jpg
Filename
IMG_1483.jpg
File size
727.07 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Checkit confirms that it seems to be a VRAM problem:

IMG_1485.jpg
Filename
IMG_1485.jpg
File size
310.21 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'm not sure where to go from here - never repaired an issue like this. FWIW I did change out the two tantalum caps on the display card just in case, but no change. If anyone has any tips as to what to do next to figure out/repair the problem I'd be grateful.

Thanks

After I'm finished working on it will try to post some more information about it since there is very little I can find. Overall this feels cheaply made and stuffed into a case not quite designed for it, and the dates printed on the case start at 1990 and there is actually a sticker from 1993. Seems very late to have a CGA/monochrome 286 - this was not a speed demon even when it first came out.

Oh and I'll toss this in: http://retro.timb.us/Systems/PC-III_Portable/ … le%20Manual.pdf

Only documentation I could find. Even trying to work through the broken english there doesn't seem to be anything on point to help.

Reply 1 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

U25 and U31 (the Sharp branded chips) right under the Yamaha chip are the DRAMs for video stuff. There should be plenty of suitable parts to use although I cannot give any exact part numbers. 64Kbit sized and 4bits wide, 120ns or faster access time.

But the stuff on the images suggests some kind of an actual access fault rather than just bad memory, things look shifted instead of everything in correct places but with garbage all over.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 10, by polishvito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-10-16, 16:32:

U25 and U31 (the Sharp branded chips) right under the Yamaha chip are the DRAMs for video stuff. There should be plenty of suitable parts to use although I cannot give any exact part numbers. 64Kbit sized and 4bits wide, 120ns or faster access time.

But the stuff on the images suggests some kind of an actual access fault rather than just bad memory, things look shifted instead of everything in correct places but with garbage all over.

Would you still go with socketing/replacing those chips first and seeing what happens?

Reply 3 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Socket won't do harm, any replacement parts might be having bad bits in them too so it is good to be ready for that.

Reply 4 of 10, by polishvito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-10-17, 04:42:

Socket won't do harm, any replacement parts might be having bad bits in them too so it is good to be ready for that.

Welp you were right. Replacement chips came from eBay faster than I expected. I socketed the old ones and put the new ones in, and the behavior is exactly the same. Even if the new chips had faults, I would expect there to be some kind of variation. Same errors in checkit diagnostics too.

Any idea where I go from here? I don’t know how to narrow things down at this point, and there sure is a lot of logic on the board.

I did figure out that this card has an MDA mode that can be activated with DIP switches and it seems to be Hercules compatible, but still has the same behavior.

Reply 5 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In that case you would want an oscilloscope and start looking at the individual signals, perhaps some output from a logic chip is bad. Perhaps finger test can help too, since bad signals usually will be affected by presence/contact with a finger and it can help to zone in on where the fault may be. Temperature can also help, faulty patrs are often warmer or even hot compared to others (sometimes they can stay cold too).

Reply 6 of 10, by polishvito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-10-18, 05:19:

In that case you would want an oscilloscope and start looking at the individual signals, perhaps some output from a logic chip is bad. Perhaps finger test can help too, since bad signals usually will be affected by presence/contact with a finger and it can help to zone in on where the fault may be. Temperature can also help, faulty patrs are often warmer or even hot compared to others (sometimes they can stay cold too).

I felt around the board after leaving it on for a while and nothing felt particularly hot, nor did wiggling the components change anything. I did verify with an external cga monitor the same behavior.

Unfortunately getting to the point of using an oscilloscope for this is beyond me.

Reply 7 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can still slide fingers over the pins of every chip except the pins where the 6MHz crystal connect to, since the finger will disrupt clock signal generation and the card will definitely misbehave when that is happening 🤣.
If you find something that causes the garbage to be affected predictably you have something to analyze further.

Reply 8 of 10, by polishvito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-10-18, 14:37:

You can still slide fingers over the pins of every chip except the pins where the 6MHz crystal connect to, since the finger will disrupt clock signal generation and the card will definitely misbehave when that is happening 🤣.
If you find something that causes the garbage to be affected predictably you have something to analyze further.

Not so lucky. I’ve gone over every component while running, tapped on everything I could, and don’t see any differences in real time.

Reply 9 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is possible the biggest chips are at fault internally but without some proper measuring capability it will be difficult to get anywhere further unfortunately.