VOGONS

First post, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm currently trying to organize and test a lot of my retro hardware. Its now time to take a look at all my hard drives from different eras.

What are the best way to test hard drives?

My initial plan is the following.

Step 1.
Test with only power connected. Listen for weird sounds and make sure that it spins up.

Step 2.
Connect to a computer, try to read the drive, partition and format if needed.

Step 3.
Deeper tests with some kind of disk testing tools. What should I use?

The drives are MFM, ESDI, IDE(20mb to 250gb), SCSI and some S-ATA so I dont expect that I can use the same software for all of them.

IMG20231017155855.jpg
Filename
IMG20231017155855.jpg
File size
1.97 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When faced with a pile like this, I resort to Linux for anything I can hook up to something that will run it (SATA, IDE en SCSI no problem, MFM, RLL and EDI may be more of a challenge as halfway modern Linux systems need 686 at least)

Under Linux you don't need to partition or format anything, you can just run a low-level check with the following command:

badblocks -nsv /dev/[name_of_hdd]

You can even do multiple simultaneous checks, although I'd recommend not doing more than one drive per IDE or ST506 channel simultaneously (one check fully saturates the interface, so two at same time will not be any faster). Depending on how many drives you can do in parallel this speeds things up by a factor two to four or more compared to testing under DOS/Windows. If you don't have a Linux box with IDE, SCSI and SATA available (I tend to use either a P3 with SATA and SCSI cards, or an early Athlon64 with SCSI card), get an old Knoppix CD image (from 4.x or 5.x release) and boot from that. It's a liveCD distro, so just boot from CD and a few minutes later you have a working Linux environment.

With MFM/RLL/ESDI drives the challenge is that it's non-trivial to get the controller for that stuff to co-exist with an IDE controller. What I'd do if I had a big pile of disks like that to test, is to get a 486 motherboard without onboard IDE, add a SCSI card with its own bootROM for the OS, then install an old Debian version (2.2 Potato for example) on that. Once that's working, add the ISA MFM/RLL/ESDI controller, hook up the drive, get it configured in BIOS and see if it can be addressed from in Linux (most controllers will be supported out of the box).

Reply 3 of 4, by zami555

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For deeper testing (Step 3) I suggest to use a DOS program called MHDD. It scans the surface of HDD and check the response time for each sector. This helps to identify weak areas on HDD surface.
As far as I know MHDD is under freeware status.