VOGONS

First post, by complain77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i have quite curious problem. I have quite rare unlocked Radeon X800 GTO2 AGP, which i mostly use for various very late Win98 builds. Currently i have it on Asus P5PE-VM with C2D E6700. It runs very well and perfectly stable under Windows ME. But i needed to use AtiTool, which runs under Winxp or 2000 only. So i added another hdd and installed clean WinXP SP2 install from original media. Everything went fine, until i installed vga drivers. During XP boot screen slider stops moving and total freeze. There were only chipset and vga drivers installed. I wasnt lazy and tried clean install of win2000prosp4 from original media too. its same! freeze during initial screen. Version drivers i have tried are 6.2, 7.13 and 10.2 for winxp, 6.2 for Win2000. I really havent seen anything like this. Under WinME is all ok, again.

Reply 1 of 19, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

have u tried running any stress test on the card under winme maybe the card is failing and windows me just isn't pushing the card to crash.

do u have another system u could try to card in. have u cleaned the contacts and repasted the card all the normal maintenance type stuff.

Reply 5 of 19, by complain77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-19, 21:11:

Press F8 on boot and see if it boots into safe mode

Hi, card works absolutely normally without installed drivers. So safe mode and working as standart vga adapter (no drvrs installed) workks fine.

Reply 6 of 19, by complain77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aaron158 wrote on 2023-10-19, 21:00:

have u tried running any stress test on the card under winme maybe the card is failing and windows me just isn't pushing the card to crash.

do u have another system u could try to card in. have u cleaned the contacts and repasted the card all the normal maintenance type stuff.

As i wrote, under WinME works flawlessly including heavy dx9 3d gaming (Halflife 2, Doom3, Far cry). Card itself has very powerful cooling (Zalman VF900CU) so gpu temp rarely goes over 45 Celsius degree.

Reply 7 of 19, by complain77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-19, 21:56:

Could you have some weird old-fashioned BIOS settings for 98/Me that are making XP unhappy?

I dont think so. Only SATA controller is set to compatible mode, but this shouldnt be problem for winxp - ahci isnt required.

Reply 8 of 19, by complain77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Flashback wrote on 2023-10-20, 07:00:

Try moving any PCI cards to different slots .

Except of fact there are no pci card installed. i install them later. just intel chipset drivers and vga drivers

Reply 9 of 19, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When it fails to boot on the driver loading screen what does the event log say after you boot into safe mode?

ATi drivers back then were sketchy as hell, its one of the things that turned me to team green.

Update XP to SP3 with the rollup update and then install the drivers for the card and see what happens.

Reply 10 of 19, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
complain77 wrote on 2023-10-21, 06:07:

As i wrote, under WinME works flawlessly including heavy dx9 3d gaming (Halflife 2, Doom3, Far cry). Card itself has very powerful cooling (Zalman VF900CU) so gpu temp rarely goes over 45 Celsius degree.

have u tired ati omega drivers rather then the stock ati drivers. i doubt will make a dif but worth a try.

other then that is the system bios updated and have u check if maybe there was any vbios updates for the card itself maybe there is just some in compatibility with w2k os and maybe they were fixed with an update at some point

Reply 11 of 19, by complain77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aaron158 wrote on 2023-10-21, 22:11:

have u tired ati omega drivers rather then the stock ati drivers. i doubt will make a dif but worth a try.

other then that is the system bios updated and have u check if maybe there was any vbios updates for the card itself maybe there is just some in compatibility with w2k os and maybe they were fixed with an update at some point

Hi, your answer is blind shooting. Card should work with default ati drivers, as my others R400 cards do. VBIOS never solved incompatibility with whole OS. There will probably be some problem on hw level.

Reply 13 of 19, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
complain77 wrote on 2023-10-22, 05:40:

Hi, your answer is blind shooting. Card should work with default ati drivers, as my others R400 cards do. VBIOS never solved incompatibility with whole OS. There will probably be some problem on hw level.

Youre right, it should.
That it works under ME and not 2k/XP makes me think there is a BIOS setting that ME doesnt care about and NT doesnt like.
What BIOS is it? What options are there in the BIOS to do with AGP settings?

Reply 14 of 19, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

there is many times were a bios update can fix incompatibility issues heck even in the most recent gen of stuff 40 series cards u had to update the bios of x670 boards before u could use a 40 series card.

your only other option is trying the card in another system. then if it don't work u will have find pictures of same card and go over your card looking for anything that could be damaged or missing

Reply 16 of 19, by complain77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-22, 06:23:
Youre right, it should. That it works under ME and not 2k/XP makes me think there is a BIOS setting that ME doesnt care about an […]
Show full quote

Youre right, it should.
That it works under ME and not 2k/XP makes me think there is a BIOS setting that ME doesnt care about and NT doesnt like.

Board is Asus P5PE-VM. bios version is 1506. Only AGP setttings available is obsolete Aperture size. (have 128MB)

Reply 17 of 19, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
complain77 wrote on 2023-10-22, 22:12:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-22, 06:23:
Youre right, it should. That it works under ME and not 2k/XP makes me think there is a BIOS setting that ME doesnt care about an […]
Show full quote

Youre right, it should.

Board is Asus P5PE-VM. bios version is 1506. Only AGP setttings available is obsolete Aperture size. (have 128MB)

The latest BIOS version for that board looks like its V2.36
Maybe updating to that might help?

With only those AGP options to change its hard to know how to suggest any remedial steps to take as you cant really change anything, and the fact that XP stops on driver loading screen means its pretty low down in the problems list...

Have you tried all the driver versions for the card on a fresh install of XP SP3 with rollup update?
I would try that before I updated the BIOS (But I dont generally like updating the BIOS on systems I know work)