VOGONS

First post, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/5543

Out in Ohio, someone decided to sell nearly 200 issues of Computer Shopper for a few thousand bucks.
Now, I’m not going to have $3,000 to throw around like that. So I put the challenge out there: If people get together and give me $3,000, I’ll buy this lot and scan it it. It hit goal in about 3 hours.
When 14 large boxes arrived, they included all the issues, put inside large paper envelopes and wrapped in blue plastic that definitely didn’t look like cocaine to the storage unit guys I cruised past.
Debinding, the taking apart of a bound issue of a magazine to turn it into a stack of papers to scan in, turns out to be a process. A painful, time consuming, involved process. One which I knew would be involved but not as involved as it has definitely turned out to be.
Through all of this, we’re talking hours of work to do a single issue, and I have to do it a couple hundred times at least. This is going to be quite an epic task… which is, again, why we’re down to me doing it because the combination of cost, time and effort leaves almost nobody else who’d be in a position to be able to do, much less want to.
Are There Missing Issues? Yes, there are. Here’s the list. If people want to donate or buy good quality copies for me, mail me at jason@textfiles.com. Here’s the missing issues as far as I can tell:

Everything before November 1983
1984: January, October, November
1985: October
1988: June, November
1989: April
1994: April, May, August, November
1995: February, March
1996: April, May, June
1997: July, September
1998: January, May
1999: April, July, August

Reply 2 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote on 2023-10-20, 06:51:

I don't see the reason for this specific magazine-catalog

Historical hardware prices, this is the definitive source for US market.

"I really hope that a group of people, together or separately, start using this bounty to rip out BBS listings, find trends in pricing and nomenclature, in tracking down humble beginnings and finding other amazing tidbits throughout computing history."

I would love a hardware database aggregating price data/availability.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 3 of 8, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh I understand. I used to have a subscription 1990-1995. Every month I'd spend at least an hour or two after it arrived, starting with the advertisers index, putting in bookmarks, reading the articles, wondering if those bios upgrades were scams or not. I only saved one issue, a massive 880 pager from 1993. Showed it to my kids yesterday. They were suitably impressed.

Reply 5 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
douglar wrote on 2023-10-20, 18:02:

Oh I understand. I used to have a subscription 1990-1995. Every month I'd spend at least an hour or two after it arrived, starting with the advertisers index, putting in bookmarks, reading the articles, wondering if those bios upgrades were scams or not. I only saved one issue, a massive 880 pager from 1993. Showed it to my kids yesterday. They were suitably impressed.

As someone who had never experienced this, I thought that "there are many magazines already digitized with 100 ads each. What extra information another magazine that just has way more ads can possibly offer?"
I see now, it was a very nice explanation that made me imagine it.

Reply 7 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A lot of praise for Gaming Alexandria and their OCR procedure in that article, but sadly test upload of February 1986 issue shows otherwise. OCR is garbage tier 🙁
First error is in very first line of text:

"NATIONAL PUBLICATION FOR BU YING-USING-SELLING COMPUTER HARDWARE & SOFTWARE"

11th line
"Computer e Manito: © Floppy Drive » 10 Mb Hard Drive o Much More $i 799"

doesnt look encouraging 🙁

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction