Topic actions

First post, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,

I acquired an apparently broken P5A-B.
It powers on but the screen stays black.
Cpu and chipsets both get warm, there is power on agp and pci for sure as well.
Caps look good also.

So I am trying to hotflash it.
Problem is that apparently I can’t.
The chip is an ATMEL AT29c010A so using -FORCE parameter should do the trick.
Not in this case as I get DATA VERIFICATION ERROR (see image).
Any fast suggestion?

The bios chip is definitely correct and so the hex used (1FD5).

I am using my old GA-586DX to hotflash, different chipset but is an hotflash procedure, should not be relevant, right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Mamba on 2023-10-21, 07:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 26, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For hotflashing two things are relevant:

- the EEPROM needs to be supported by Uniflash and the donor board
- the 'donor' board you flash on needs tp support Uniflash

Apart from that, any differences between boards is irrelvant.

If you are getting data verification errors, either the EEPROM is dead (not implausible!) or the flash is not (fully) supported by the board.

Have you been able to flash anything else on this board? Can you flash the board's own BIOS with Uniflash?

Reply 2 of 26, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you're doing a hot swap flash you generally don't press the chip into the socket fully - I've had issues similar to that where it was caused by the chip not quite making good enough contact.

Back in the Nforce days when hot swap BIOS flashing became popular, I discovered the /F switch which: "/F - stands for reprogramming by means of the system BIOS. Most contemporary BIOS's feature the procedure of FlashROM reprogramming. The key /F enables AwardFlash to reprogram FlashROM with the algorithms of the current BIOS version. If a mainboard peculiarities do not allow applying AwardFlash Writer algorithms, you should use the key /F." So you may be able to use Awardflash to do this if Uniflash can't.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 26, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is why buying a TL866 or equal pays itself in just a hand ful of uses IMHO, and if you flash wrong bios image or brick your board you can more easily fix it 😀
sorry know that is not the answer but as a member here since 2015 thought you would have one by now....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2023-10-21, 02:13:

This is why buying a TL866 or equal pays itself in just a hand ful of uses IMHO, and if you flash wrong bios image or brick your board you can more easily fix it 😀
sorry know that is not the answer but as a member here since 2015 thought you would have one by now....

I wholeheartedly concur. That being said, if OP has only needed one once since 2015, it would probably be more cost effective to order a flashed-to-order chip on the unnameable auction site.

Reply 5 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't find anything about a GA-5DX. Typo ?

Is the board that you are using to flash equipped with a jumper that needs to be set for 12V vs 5V VPP and if so, is it set to 5V ?

Reply 6 of 26, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 maybe a GA-5AX ? The only GA-5DX is GA-5DXSL I know of and a diff era ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 26, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry guys, it is ga-586dx
As far as I can tell it is perfectly compatible with Uniflash but I did not use it to update the board.
I used it to hotflash a m577, but did used a regular awdflash program.
This time I used aflash and awdflah as well, but both hangs (aflash crash and reboots the system!).
I have the feeling that there is a problem with the way the P5A-b update the bios? Maybe it needs a particular version of aflash OR awdflash?

For the programmer, I do have a ch341a and was looking for something for ancient chips actually.

Reply 8 of 26, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got no specific experience of those boards or Uniflash, but if I'm to guess, using the /F parameter will force chip specific erase commands and page mode writing. You might want to try going back to the basics and erase the chip by writing 1 Mbit of 0xFF bytes, and then write the BIOS image byte by byte instead. Should work with any 29 series EEPROM.

The only reason for those functions is time saving when programming large batches of chips. When programming a single chip it doesn't really matter if it takes 10 seconds or a minute.

Also, if it's possible to manipulate the write/read timings in Uniflash, you might want to try to go a little bit slower.

Otherwise I agree that a standalone programmer is a must have for the retro computing enthusiast. My personal recommendation is the XGecu T48, the successor of the popular TL866 😀

Reply 9 of 26, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-10-20, 21:43:
For hotflashing two things are relevant: […]
Show full quote

If you are getting data verification errors, either the EEPROM is dead (not implausible!) or the flash is not (fully) supported by the board.

Have you been able to flash anything else on this board? Can you flash the board's own BIOS with Uniflash?

Ok I tried flashing the ATMEL EEPROM with the bios of the same board I am using to flash, with AWDFLASH, the same program I use to flash the board.
So I am hotflashing but the same board with the same bios already loaded.
The version of AWDFLASH should definitely recognize the chip.
But I get "unknown flash type" message, even with /F or any other parameter.
Maybe the chip itself is corrupted?

Reply 10 of 26, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-10-21, 08:47:
Ok I tried flashing the ATMEL EEPROM with the bios of the same board I am using to flash, with AWDFLASH, the same program I use […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote on 2023-10-20, 21:43:
For hotflashing two things are relevant: […]
Show full quote

Ok I tried flashing the ATMEL EEPROM with the bios of the same board I am using to flash, with AWDFLASH, the same program I use to flash the board.
So I am hotflashing but the same board with the same bios already loaded.
The version of AWDFLASH should definitely recognize the chip.
But I get "unknown flash type" message, even with /F or any other parameter.
Maybe the chip itself is corrupted?

Well, AWDFLASH also identifies the chip by device ID (1FD5). From your OP it seems to be in its order, matching the chip make/model in this list.

I'd guess the version of AWDFLASH you're trying doesn't support that chip after all.

Reply 11 of 26, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, check that the original chip in the GA-586DX is a 5V one aswell. There are low voltage versions of 29 series EEPROMs, that I've seen in computer mobos a few times. If you try to access/program a 5V chip with say 3,3V, you might experience symptoms like what you describe.

Reply 12 of 26, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote on 2023-10-21, 09:08:

Also, check that the original chip in the GA-586DX is a 5V one aswell. There are low voltage versions of 29 series EEPROMs, that I've seen in computer mobos a few times. If you try to access/program a 5V chip with say 3,3V, you might experience symptoms like what you describe.

Both chips are 5V
The version of awdflash I used was exactly the one with atmel chip support

Reply 13 of 26, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Definitely there is something wrong with the chip as the taylored awdflash version recognise it as 12v chip, not 5V.
AT29C10A is 5V only.

Guess I need to buy a compatible chip.
Any suggestion to be 100% safe?

Reply 14 of 26, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-10-21, 10:33:
Definitely there is something wrong with the chip as the taylored awdflash version recognise it as 12v chip, not 5V. AT29C10A is […]
Show full quote

Definitely there is something wrong with the chip as the taylored awdflash version recognise it as 12v chip, not 5V.
AT29C10A is 5V only.

The only way the software could identify the chip is by device ID, and that seems correct in your OP, assumingy read with Uniflash. Then it's up to the software to choose programming parameters.

If it's possible to read and print the device ID with AWDFLASH, you could verify if it's read correctly or not. If it is, you can be almost completely certain the problem is with AWDFLASH's routines, not the chip itself.

As a rule of thumb, those old parallel EEPROMs are more or less immortal. They might lose data over time, but it's very uncommon that they go bad hardware wise.

Reply 15 of 26, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote on 2023-10-21, 10:50:
The only way the software could identify the chip is by device ID, and that seems correct in your OP, assumingy read with Unifl […]
Show full quote
Definitely there is something wrong with the chip as the taylored awdflash version recognise it as 12v chip, not 5V. AT29C10A is […]
Show full quote

AT29C10A is 5V only.

The only way the software could identify the chip is by device ID, and that seems correct in your OP, assumingy read with Uniflash. Then it's up to the software to choose programming parameters.

If it's possible to read and print the device ID with AWDFLASH, you could verify if it's read correctly or not. If it is, you can be almost completely certain the problem is with AWDFLASH's routines, not the chip itself.

As a rule of thumb, those old parallel EEPROMs are more or less immortal. They might lose data over time, but it's very uncommon that they go bad hardware wise.

Thanks

But I am not certain I understood your words.
The chip is not recognised by uniflash at all and by multiple awdflash versions.
The only version that recognise it (but not completely so does not complete the flash process) is 5.2B tailored for ATMEL AT29C010A /5V Flash ROM that is exactly the chip I am using (as said, it is written on it).
So, I am not sure how it can be a problem of the program.
Sorry probably my English is not good.
Can you explain?

Reply 17 of 26, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-10-21, 11:59:
Thanks […]
Show full quote
The only way the software could identify the chip is by device ID, and that seems correct in your OP, assumingy read with Unifl […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

AT29C10A is 5V only.

Thanks

The chip is not recognised by uniflash at all and by multiple awdflash versions.
The only version that recognise it (but not completely so does not complete the flash process) is 5.2B tailored for ATMEL AT29C010A /5V Flash ROM that is exactly the chip I am using (as said, it is written on it).
Can you explain?

Ah, sorry, was under the impression you got the device ID (1FD5) by reading it from the actual chip with Uniflash. If you can't read it correctly in any way, then yes, your chip (or something else in the HW chain) might be busted.

Mamba wrote on 2023-10-21, 14:04:

Just ordered this
W27E010-70 DIP-32 1Mbit 128k Eeprom
I hope it will be ok

That's a 27 series chip that needs 12V programming voltage, otherwise it should be pin compatible. Seen a few mobos where you can select different programming voltages with jumpers, but in my experience it's not really commonplace. Consult the manual for your board.

Reply 18 of 26, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote on 2023-10-22, 08:40:
Ah, sorry, was under the impression you got the device ID (1FD5) by reading it from the actual chip with Uniflash. If you can't […]
Show full quote
Thanks […]
Show full quote

Thanks

Can you explain?

Ah, sorry, was under the impression you got the device ID (1FD5) by reading it from the actual chip with Uniflash. If you can't read it correctly in any way, then yes, your chip (or something else in the HW chain) might be busted.

Just ordered this
I hope it will be ok

That's a 27 series chip that needs 12V programming voltage, otherwise it should be pin compatible. Seen a few mobos where you can select different programming voltages with jumpers, but in my experience it's not really commonplace. Consult the manual for your board.

Damn…
I really do not know if my board support 5V or 12V chips.
There is nothing on the manual about voltages.
And I need to take into consideration that we are talking about two mainboards.
The bricked one (P5A-B) and the hotflash board (GA-586DX).

So basically I am walking in the dark with this… And they say hotflashing is straightforward…

Reply 19 of 26, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote on 2023-10-22, 08:40:
Ah, sorry, was under the impression you got the device ID (1FD5) by reading it from the actual chip with Uniflash. If you can't […]
Show full quote
Thanks […]
Show full quote

Thanks

Can you explain?

Just ordered this
I hope it will be ok

That’s it…

I followed your suggestion and got a T48 programmer.
It signaled a bad pin on the chip.
So I assume the chip itself is broken, right?

Attachments

• IMG_5520.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_5520.jpeg
    File size
    569.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception