User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-10-23, 11:41:
That’s it… […]
Show full quote
kaputnik wrote on 2023-10-22, 08:40:
Ah, sorry, was under the impression you got the device ID (1FD5) by reading it from the actual chip with Uniflash. If you can't […]
Show full quote
Mamba wrote on 2023-10-21, 11:59:
Thanks […]
Show full quote

Thanks

But I am not certain I understood your words.
The chip is not recognised by uniflash at all and by multiple awdflash versions.
The only version that recognise it (but not completely so does not complete the flash process) is 5.2B tailored for ATMEL AT29C010A /5V Flash ROM that is exactly the chip I am using (as said, it is written on it).
So, I am not sure how it can be a problem of the program.
Sorry probably my English is not good.
Can you explain?

Ah, sorry, was under the impression you got the device ID (1FD5) by reading it from the actual chip with Uniflash. If you can't read it correctly in any way, then yes, your chip (or something else in the HW chain) might be busted.

Mamba wrote on 2023-10-21, 14:04:

Just ordered this
W27E010-70 DIP-32 1Mbit 128k Eeprom
I hope it will be ok

That's a 27 series chip that needs 12V programming voltage, otherwise it should be pin compatible. Seen a few mobos where you can select different programming voltages with jumpers, but in my experience it's not really commonplace. Consult the manual for your board.

That’s it…

I followed your suggestion and got a T48 programmer.
It signaled a bad pin on the chip.
So I assume the chip itself is broken, right?

Ah, good decision 😀

Yes, it might be, but it's still too early to give up. Sometimes it can be a bit of a challenge to get good connection with those ZIF DIP sockets. Try applying some force with the lever, and slide the chip back and forth in the socket to wear down any grime or oxide, or clean the pins some other way.

The pin detection function seems to be somewhat hit and miss at least with some old 28 series EEPROMs I've worked with, maybe the same goes for your chip. It might signal a bad pin or three, but work perfectly anyways. Try programming the chip and verify it before giving up, even if you can't get rid of those pin errors.

Also, now when you have the programmer you could use the 27 series chip you ordered unless the BIOS itself have some chip detection routine and refuse to boot. The computer won't be able to save ESCD updates, but that doesn't seem to be a real problem.

Reply 21 of 26, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote on 2023-10-23, 15:45:
Ah, good decision :) […]
Show full quote
That’s it… […]
Show full quote
kaputnik wrote on 2023-10-22, 08:40:

Ah, sorry, was under the impression you got the device ID (1FD5) by reading it from the actual chip with Uniflash. If you can't read it correctly in any way, then yes, your chip (or something else in the HW chain) might be busted.

That's a 27 series chip that needs 12V programming voltage, otherwise it should be pin compatible. Seen a few mobos where you can select different programming voltages with jumpers, but in my experience it's not really commonplace. Consult the manual for your board.

That’s it…

Ah, good decision 😀

Yes, it might be, but it's still too early to give up. Sometimes it can be a bit of a challenge to get good connection with those ZIF DIP sockets. Try applying some force with the lever, and slide the chip back and forth in the socket to wear down any grime or oxide, or clean the pins some other way.

The pin detection function seems to be somewhat hit and miss at least with some old 28 series EEPROMs I've worked with, maybe the same goes for your chip. It might signal a bad pin or three, but work perfectly anyways. Try programming the chip and verify it before giving up, even if you can't get rid of those pin errors.

Also, now when you have the programmer you could use the 27 series chip you ordered unless the BIOS itself have some chip detection routine and refuse to boot. The computer won't be able to save ESCD updates, but that doesn't seem to be a real problem.

Thank you.
I moved the pins, clean all of them, push,slide.
Nothing.
The error prevents me from doing anything to the chip, erase,read or program.
Ignore won’t work.

Reply 22 of 26, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-10-23, 16:53:
Thank you. I moved the pins, clean all of them, push,slide. Nothing. The error prevents me from doing anything to the chip, eras […]
Show full quote
kaputnik wrote on 2023-10-23, 15:45:
Ah, good decision :) […]
Show full quote
That’s it… […]
Show full quote

That’s it…

Ah, good decision 😀

Thank you.
I moved the pins, clean all of them, push,slide.
Nothing.
The error prevents me from doing anything to the chip, erase,read or program.
Ignore won’t work.

Okay, well, then it's probably time to give up.

You asked about a safe bet for a replacement before. I'd go for an identical chip, never had any problem with Atmel's EEPROMs ever. Yours has probably been subjected to some kind of abuse at some point, like ESD. Never ever heard of an old parallel EEPROM spontaneously going bad at least, as I mentioned before, they're usually more or less immortal.

Or as I suggested before, you could try with the 27 series chip you ordered. If you want to change the BIOS again at some point, just pull it and program it in the T48 😀

Reply 25 of 26, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2023-10-27, 20:22:

Aaaand…. Success!!!

Yay, good job! 😀

So, what did you have to do to get it working? New chip? Used the 27 series one? Got the original chip back to life?

Reply 26 of 26, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original chip was bricked.
I flashed the new one with the programmer and the board booted without issues.
Thank you for forcing me to buy the T48!

kaputnik wrote on 2023-11-02, 08:52:
Mamba wrote on 2023-10-27, 20:22:

Aaaand…. Success!!!

Yay, good job! 😀

So, what did you have to do to get it working? New chip? Used the 27 series one? Got the original chip back to life?