VOGONS

First post, by jdredd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry this is a revisit of an older post I made recently... but I think now this is a bit more direct, now that I have something in my hand.

No other MFG I talked to would help me out that were recommended in the old post.

Sooo......

I am working with an IBM Model 30 8086 system. Which has the 3 slot ISA riser. Idea was have slots on other side of riser.

These slots would be for cards that don't need outside access. Like EMS card, CH375 card I have with USB header leading up front, CF card adapter, ect...

I just need VGA and Sound with outside the case access.

So, I got the Book 8088 ISA expansion board. Cheap and quick.

Then realized I have no idea what I am doing with KiCad to even try and design the simplest of things.

My thoughts are, and maybe I am dumb as a rock here, but could A person who knows what they are doing, make an 8 bit ISA adapter, with the 60 pin male plug on it?

Then could just plug that in and have A simple expansion? Sacrifice A slot, but get it back, and 2 more.

Reading over here @ https://yeokhengmeng.com/2023/06/teardown-and … iew-of-hand386/

2x30 2mm pitch for 8-bit ISA backplane

The mapping is from the Hand386 but I take it both are the same.

Added pics showing how it "could" sit in the case.... I guess could even run it outside the case from expansion slot too...

My take is, its cheap... it is easy... it is decently small. Desolder the 12v barrel that points straight down for one A setup that sticks straight out and would make a good fit I'd think.

Just like to have a clean ISA > 60 bin plug to clean it up. My soldering and hackery skills are just that... hackery.

Would love for a clean setup! Plus it would technically work for any 8 bit ISA system. Would just need to source out longer 60 pin cables then most likely.

If anyone able to take it up to design, I'd even throw them some bones to go towards the effort.

hand386-idc-connector-pinout.png
Filename
hand386-idc-connector-pinout.png
File size
469.33 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
slot1.png
Filename
slot1.png
File size