VOGONS

CD Drive strange behavior

Topic actions

First post, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an old compaq drive, model says: LTN-323, that spins a CD for a second and that is it.
As I can't upload video here, I will paste the link to it:

https://streamable.com/6mdbjv

Anyone seen something similar?

Reply 2 of 26, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put the cover on so that the spindle has the top part, it's probably detecting that the disc is slipping.
Or it could be a light activated sensor that shouldn't normally see daylight.

Reply 3 of 26, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-10-21, 12:56:

Put the cover on so that the spindle has the top part, it's probably detecting that the disc is slipping.
Or it could be a light activated sensor that shouldn't normally see daylight.

yes its the magnetic top spindle thats missing for proper rotation.

The light doesnt matter.
I recently cleaned around 30 cd drives from early 90s to late 2000 non of them complained about the missing shell when the magnetic top spindle was attached.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 5 of 26, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-10-21, 12:47:

might be capacitors inside CD drive itself, motor driver gets overloaded and cuts out?

Same happens without CD. Spins for a second and that is it. Could try to check capacitors.

Reply 6 of 26, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, the capacitors looks ok, as far as I could tell. What seams to be a problem here is that it doesn't detect the CD is inserted, as it behaves exactly the same with the CD or without.
Laser is responsible to detect the CD, correct? Is there anything else, like some mechanical switch, that I could check? Or, how could I check faulty laser?

Reply 8 of 26, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My electronic skills are not that great so not sure if I could find the problem. Also worth of mentioning is, when I got this drive it didn't work at all. When I opened it, I saw that the laser is detached from one of it rails on which it moves!
I put it back in, but still it didn't work.

Reply 9 of 26, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boby wrote on 2023-10-22, 12:14:

My electronic skills are not that great so not sure if I could find the problem. Also worth of mentioning is, when I got this drive it didn't work at all. When I opened it, I saw that the laser is detached from one of it rails on which it moves!
I put it back in, but still it didn't work.

Ahh physical damage. Probably never get it working again....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 26, by nhattu1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you need to extract the top magnetic part and put it on the spindle, without it, the disk won't spin and drive will stop.
also there are change that the laser/sensor had became so weak that it won't recognized the disc and think that there are no disc

that why the spindle only spin briefly before stop (because drive think that there are no disc in the drive)

Reply 11 of 26, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

worth of mentioning is, when I got this drive it didn't work at all. When I opened it, I saw that the laser is detached from one of it rails on which it moves!

should have led with that, mechanical damage, must have took a big hit to detach from rails, rip

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 12 of 26, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-10-22, 18:36:

worth of mentioning is, when I got this drive it didn't work at all. When I opened it, I saw that the laser is detached from one of it rails on which it moves!

should have led with that, mechanical damage, must have took a big hit to detach from rails, rip

👍

Is there a way to fix it by replacing laser module? If yes, where to get one? I would really like to get it working as it was original drive for one compaq that I have.

Reply 14 of 26, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-10-22, 20:31:

used CD drives are $5-10 and this one isnt special in any way, just get another one

Yes, but I want to return original drive as this is compaq machine. To get same drive from ebay, is more like 30+ dollars

Reply 15 of 26, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boby wrote on 2023-10-23, 19:42:

used CD drives are $5-10 and this one isnt special in any way, just get another one

Yes, but I want to return original drive as this is compaq machine. To get same drive from ebay, is more like 30+ dollars

i am sure you can get another liteon cd(r) drive and put on the shell and faceplate from your branded one.
LTR-12101B , LTR-24102B, LTR-32123S, LTR-40125S look quite similar to your drive ( eject hole above volume wheel slightly to the right, one button)

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 16 of 26, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-23, 19:55:

i am sure you can get another liteon cd(r) drive and put on the shell and faceplate from your branded one.
LTR-12101B , LTR-24102B, LTR-32123S, LTR-40125S look quite similar to your drive ( eject hole above volume wheel slightly to the right, one button)

Using google for above models, I either end up one some store where the item is out of stock or on ebay with huge price

Reply 17 of 26, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boby wrote on 2023-10-23, 20:03:

Using google for above models, I either end up one some store where the item is out of stock or on ebay with huge price

they are like 10- 12 euros in my country... where do you live?

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 18 of 26, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-23, 20:04:

Austria

Reply 19 of 26, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boby wrote on 2023-10-23, 20:05:
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-23, 20:04:

Austria

Im in germany... we are just like 1000 kilometers apart...
Recently i shipped a cdrom drive to italy for 12 euros and a soundcard to sweden for 14 euros.
I cant imagine you are not abled to find a cheap liteon drive in the eu...
https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/cd-rom … 9639404-225-965

FCKGW-RHQQ2