Windows XP system spec recommendations.

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 68, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-04, 06:48:

What makes any of them better than a Titanium X-Fi by Creative?

The X-Fi Titanium gaming feature set is good, meaning you get full support for EAX5 and below. They also have either 16 MB of X-RAM (OEM models) or 64 MB (Fatal1ty models).

For normal users who aren't audio elitists, those cards are decent enough. The much more expensive Onkyo or Auzen cards will give you better output quality, but have the same gaming feature set otherwise.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 61 of 68, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sound?
If you are not one of those:
- who thinks that the very fact of having X-Fi in the system gives an awesome sound. At the same time played in bluetooth headphones
- who played in headphones for $1.5 and claimed that he heard shots coming from the left_back_top behind the wall

PS
If you are going to buy X-Fi, then please budget for the purchase of cheap neutral headphones, such as the Sennheiser HD569.
Otherwise it looks like “I connected the Radeon RX 7900 XTX to a monochrome CRT monitor, the video card is not fun.

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-11-04, 07:15:

The much more expensive Onkyo or Auzen cards will give you better output quality, but have the same gaming feature set otherwise.

There’s only one problem: you can’t hear these “the same gaming feature set”
Why bother, X-Fi for motherboards.
A driver from Creative that emulates the entire set of gaming features on an integrated sound card from Rialtek. 😀

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 62 of 68, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-11-04, 07:15:

The X-Fi Titanium gaming feature set is good, meaning you get full support for EAX5 and below. They also have either 16 MB of X-RAM (OEM models) or 64 MB (Fatal1ty models).

For normal users who aren't audio elitists, those cards are decent enough. The much more expensive Onkyo or Auzen cards will give you better output quality, but have the same gaming feature set otherwise.

Audiophile are not for gaming. If you care so much use spdif and an even more expensive amplifier.

Reply 63 of 68, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2023-11-04, 08:54:

Audiophile are not for gaming. If you care so much use spdif and an even more expensive amplifier.

I think you meant to reply to shevalier.

I don't own any expensive audio equipment, nor one of the Onkyo/Auzen cards that he mentioned.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 64 of 68, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Audiophile are not for gaming.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but it's hard to communicate with people who haven't even read the theories about spatial sound.
https://recordingsofnature.wordpress.com/2015 … elevation-cues/
A person determines the direction to the sound source by changes in frequency response and delays.
It was not for nothing that the Creative company came up with the technology of CMSS, MacroFX and Elevation filter.
In the wrong headphones, the directions to enemies in FPS will be reversed.
For example, forward/backward. Or all the steps will be heard from above, as if they are running over your head.
Yes, exactly in games. Which are not about audiophilia.

Finally play Counter Strike, where you have time to stop and listen. And also determine the direction and take a headshoot.
One against bots. If you don't hide and listen, they will take you out right away.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300

Reply 65 of 68, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shevalier wrote on 2023-11-04, 09:26:

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but it's hard to communicate with people who haven't even read the theories about spatial sound.

No. You're just anal about everything starting from the first comment in this thread. I don't know if you are intentionally try flaming or just want to wow everyone with your "expert knowledge". Because if it's the latter, you achieve the opposite effect.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 66 of 68, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-11-04, 10:09:

No. You're just anal about everything starting from the first comment in this thread. I don't know if you are intentionally try flaming or just want to wow everyone with your "expert knowledge". Because if it's the latter, you achieve the opposite effect.

Thank you for your reasoned position.
You can immediately see a person who understands sound cards.
What else do you recommend?

Reply 67 of 68, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shevalier wrote on 2023-11-04, 10:18:
Thank you for your reasoned position. You can immediately see a person who understands sound cards. What else do you recommend? […]
Show full quote
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-11-04, 10:09:

Thank you for your reasoned position.
You can immediately see a person who understands sound cards.
What else do you recommend?

So you are intentionally playing the asshole. The I recommend you to stop.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 68 of 68, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but it's hard to communicate with people who haven't even read the theories about spatial sound. […]
Show full quote

Audiophile are not for gaming.

https://recordingsofnature.wordpress.com/2015 … elevation-cues/
A person determines the direction to the sound source by changes in frequency response and delays.
It was not for nothing that the Creative company came up with the technology of CMSS, MacroFX and Elevation filter.
In the wrong headphones, the directions to enemies in FPS will be reversed.
For example, forward/backward. Or all the steps will be heard from above, as if they are running over your head.
Yes, exactly in games. Which are not about audiophilia.

Finally play Counter Strike, where you have time to stop and listen. And also determine the direction and take a headshoot.
One against bots. If you don't hide and listen, they will take you out right away.

So is that the difference between them. The 3D spatial sound processing capabilities is better on one than the other?