VOGONS

First post, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hi All, I have a board using 4MB (i.e. 32Mbit) 5V (I measured the voltage to confirm it's not 3.3V) ROM chip in SOP-44 package (or maybe that's called 44PSOP, I am not really sure) : the markings are removed, all it says it's 32Mbit and I cannot tell the exact chip. So, I found the reference schematic and instead single 32Mbit chip it uses 2 x 27C160F chips:

2x27C160F.jpg
Filename
2x27C160F.jpg
File size
118.4 KiB
Views
File comment
2 x 27C160F instead single 32Mbit chip
File license
Public domain

So, my questions are:

1) considering that then the single 32MB chip needs to be compatible with that 2 x 27C160F setup, what could that single 32MBit chip be (including compatible chip models)?

2) is there EEPROM chip that is compatible with the chip ID-entified in 1), i.e. that allows easy erase and programming or all those compatible 5V 32Mbit chips are not electronically erasable?

Thank you!

[EDIT] just to add that I found "MX29L3211MC" as potential answer, but it's not 5V and 3.3V instead...

Reply 1 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's unlikely to get a 32MBit chip that identifies as 16MBit (or two of them). If the vendor of your device made the choice to ship it with 32MBit chips in some revision of that device, it's an easy change to the firmware to either detect the type or just assume 32MBit instead of 2*16. Furthermore, you only need to care about the chip type if you want to do in-system updates or configuration saving to that EEPROM. If the chip is used as read-only memory, no specific type is required, and the pinout on these 16M*16 chips is suggested by JEDEC and identical for the vast majority of chips.

Reply 2 of 5, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2023-10-24, 04:52:

It's unlikely to get a 32MBit chip that identifies as 16MBit (or two of them).

thanks, but I am not asking for such a thing. I am asking what were 32Mbit chip models around the same time when 27C160F was a popular choice? or to make it more clear what are 5V chip models similar to the 3.3V MX29L3211MC? and are there EEPROMs among them or only EPROMs?

Reply 3 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

is the original 32mbit memory on the device even a flash or some mask rom? (mask roms like this were common)
I have not seen or know about any 5v 32mbit SOP44 eeproms - it seems 5v ones are only available in TSOP48 package so it don't think you'll be able to find a drop-in replacement

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 5, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
giantclam wrote on 2023-10-24, 06:11:

thanks, that one seems to be a good match, too bad I cannot find it anywhere in stock in the necessary 44-SOP package to buy and try it out.