VOGONS

First post, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Title says it all.

I'm stuck testing BIOSes because I don't have 32KB chips.
32KB on a 64KB might not be read.
If I program a 64KB chip it'll not wotk or even not pick up a BIOS (post card shows no IRDY).

Thanks for any help.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there! 🙂
WinHex has that feature, I remember.
The shareware version will do fine.

Good luck! 🙂🤞

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 7, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-23, 23:22:
Hi there! 🙂 WinHex has that feature, I remember. The shareware version will do fine. […]
Show full quote

Hi there! 🙂

Good luck! 🙂🤞

I can't seem to find the function. I need to copy it twice on the chips, but I didn't find nything about it.

Reply 4 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nexxen wrote on 2023-10-23, 23:38:
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-23, 23:22:
Hi there! 🙂 WinHex has that feature, I remember. The shareware version will do fine. […]
Show full quote

Hi there! 🙂

Good luck! 🙂🤞

I can't seem to find the function. I need to copy it twice on the chips, but I didn't find nything about it.

Hi, the even/odd (aka high/low) feature should be under Tools -> File Tools -> Split.

If you want to store multiple copies of one image in an EPROM, just use command line.
COPY /B SOURCE.BIN+SOURCE.BIN > TARGET.BIN

The pipe symbol (>) may or may not be needed, not sure.
The /B parameter is for binary copy (otherwise, it's ASCII).

Speaking under correction, though.

mattw wrote on 2023-10-23, 23:41:

😎 👍

Attachments

• winhex-split.gif
    Filename
    winhex-split.gif
    File size
    19.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 7, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have only 64KB EEPROMs.

I need to copy 32KB images so that I have:
1st at beginning
2nd at beginning of its half.
In fact having the same image at those positions.

I read that if you have a 512bit eeprom you can make it work in a system that max allows 256bit IF you copy two images, one at beginning and one at half.

I can't understand how to do that with XGPRO and WinHex.

Reply 6 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They explained it. In simple terms you first spit the 64k bios into ODD and EVEN (making 32k each). The you must duplicate the ODD and then duplicate the EVEN making them 64k again each. Then write those to two 64k roms.
You cannot just write the original to 2 roms and have it work. Each rom must contain only the ODD or the EVEN parts but must be doubled to fill the rom chip. Hope that makes sense.
I use ROMWAK to split roms odd/even but WinHex works too. Then use a hex editor (any good one will do it) and load first even, then at the very bottom do an insert and insert the same and save.
OR do as jo22 said and do a COPY /B SOURCE.BIN+SOURCE.BIN > TARGET.BIN of the 32k parts [odd + odd, and then even +even] (maybe hard to do properly post Win7)
Do for both odd and evens. The new rom files when filled proper should end in hex 0FFFF in hex editor for 64kbit file.....
then you write each to a rom...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun