VOGONS

First post, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone know of any normally available LGA-775 boards with AGP and Win 98SE drivers?

Seem to be unicorns or $200+ on the bay....

Reply 1 of 7, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

E5800 is 45nm; that puts you firmly into the unicorn category... There's a list somewhere on this forum, but the number of i865PE/i865G LGA775 boards with 45nm CPU support is very, very slim.

(... or, put another way, these were motherboards that i) were very unpopular back in the day, and ii) got snatched up by retro enthusiasts some years ago. Keep in mind that these boards combine a 2008-era CPU with a 2003-era chipset, which is a completely absurd thing unless you want a retro 98SE system. )

Reply 2 of 7, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-24, 22:13:

E5800 is 45nm; that puts you firmly into the unicorn category... There's a list somewhere on this forum, but the number of i865PE/i865G LGA775 boards with 45nm CPU support is very, very slim.

(... or, put another way, these were motherboards that i) were very unpopular back in the day, and ii) got snatched up by retro enthusiasts some years ago. Keep in mind that these boards combine a 2008-era CPU with a 2003-era chipset, which is a completely absurd thing unless you want a retro 98SE system. )

Yea, its a reach.

I was looking at a Biostar P4M800Pro-M7 - but I don't think it will support the E5800...

Reply 3 of 7, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tomcattech wrote on 2023-10-24, 22:15:

I was looking at a Biostar P4M800Pro-M7 - but I don't think it will support the E5800...

Will it support 98SE? I just picked up a Biostar K8M800 or something like that and... well, I couldn't get 98SE running on it so far. That board seems like the Intel equivalent...

Having been a bit burned trying to go a little 'different' and having been reminded of how temperamental 98SE is, I would say to go with boards that others have confirmed work. It's not just chipsets/graphics, but also BIOSes, etc...

Reply 4 of 7, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

P4M800 should have Win98 drivers, i have similar K8M800 S754/AM2 boards and they work with Windows 98 SE.

I would disable acpi for windows 98 se, install with setup /p i command, i have dell with i875p chipset and all is working well, it is not s775, but s478 with pentium 4 ht (northwood cpu). Without /p i command it was not possible to install graphics card there. i875p has working Win9x chipset drivers and all other components also has drivers for Dell dimension 8300, just Dell does not share working Win9x drivers for you.

I do not have E5800 for my cpu collection 😀, i have Intel Pentium E5700 3GHz 800MHz R0 (SLGTH) LGA775. More boards available if you skip core based cpu support for your Win9x build or add pcie option, also Many older S775 boards support only Pentium 4 based cpus, would it be single or dual core.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 5 of 7, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marxveix wrote on 2023-10-24, 23:56:

P4M800 should have Win98 drivers, i have similar K8M800 S754/AM2 boards and they work with Windows 98 SE.

Sorry for taking this thread a bit off topic (although I think, if one could get it to work, that the K8M800/AM2 world has a lot of promise as a nice, affordableish 98SE platform), but do you have any advice on how to get those K8M800 AM2 boards running on 98SE? I had no luck with mine so far...

Reply 7 of 7, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stef80 wrote on 2023-10-25, 09:16:

What issues did you have, except SATA support on older versions of VIA's southbridge?

I have the newer version of the southbridge with working SATA...

I don't really know what issues I had. It just wouldn't boot, even with the rloew RAM and SATA patches. Usually no error message, just freezing at the startup screen, sometimes a Windows protection error, sometimes it would make it to the device detection stage of the installer and then crash, etc. Tried a bunch of BIOS settings. I gave up on it and installed XP instead to test if the hardware is good; I'll go back to trying 98SE in a little while.