VOGONS

First post, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quite a bit of information to be had on the forum already, did a search but still unsure.
I have a Via C3 Nehemiah that I would like to use with and Intel Seattle 2440BX-2 motherboard.
What would be the cheapest compatible slotket to purchase?
I know that if I need to use a Tualatin I would need one of the fancier voltage selectable models.
But what if I only care about the VIA and possibly Coppermine P3's and Celerons?

Does anyone know of compatibility of this chip with this board?
I have the chip currently working fine in a socket 370 micro ATX board. I can't remember the model but it's a MSI Intel 810 board with no AGP/ISA.
It is doing the trick but I'd like to have the option to use it in one of my slot 1 boards, preferably the Intel as the others are VIA based.
The MSI board works great with all my Coppermine based P3's as well.
The Intel board I've only tested with Coppermine chips, but zero issues there as well.

Any and all information is appreciated. If these questions were already answered in another thread, than I apologize.

Reply 1 of 21, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First you have to make sure the Seattle board's voltage regulator can output the necessary voltage (1.4 or 1.45V IIRC) at all. Locate the VRM controller on the board, google the model number. Usually there are datasheets available. If it can't, the only option is to use one of those ultra rare/expensive Powerleap slotkets with onboard voltage regulator.

I'm far from a slotket guru, but if you ask me, it's well worth the extra cost to buy something with voltage clamp jumpers. The MSI MS-6905 Master seems to work perfectly with everything I throw at it. Found that model quickly, so never had to keep looking and learn about the alternatives.

It is possible to mod a slotket without jumpers to bypass automatic voltage selection too if necessary. There are plenty of guides online. Read up some on how the VID pins and voltage selection with socket 370 works in general to get an idea what you'll have to do.

When it comes to cheap slotkets, I've had luck with those noname "370SPC" ones before discovering the MS-6905. They've never given me any trouble. Running a 1.4GHz Tualeron flawlessly in a Tualatin modded 370SPC . I'm using it with a Abit BH6 board, which allows voltage selection from BIOS, so got no experience of VID modding that particular slotket though. Haven't tried a C3 specifically in it either.

Also note that you might have to patch the BIOS with microcode for C3 to get it working. IIRC those old Intel boards can be pretty picky and refuse to boot anything that's not "officially" supported with unmodded BIOS.

Reply 2 of 21, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote on 2023-10-25, 16:37:

Also note that you might have to patch the BIOS with microcode for C3 to get it working.

This is in the case if the BIOS fundamentally understands which processor it works with.

Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-10-25, 15:26:

I think it's near zero.
For VIA CPUs, it is better to use a VIA motherboard from the latest chipsets for S370. From a decent manufacturer.
BIOS for BX will have to be heavily rewritten to support VIA C3

Last edited by shevalier on 2023-10-25, 16:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 3 of 21, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VIA C3 CPUs works with any slotket adapter that supports Coppermine just fine, but the motherboard needs a BIOS that fully accepts them with the L2 cache intact. Not sure about the Intel SE440BX-2 though, being restrictive around CPU multiplier and FSB settings.

Motherboards that I know that works well are almost all ASUS motherboards, especially with DenizOezmen's modded BIOSes and the Gigabyte GA-6BXC rev 2.0 with PowerLeap BIOS. The latter being one of the handful ones based on the Intel 440BX that has 50 MHz FSB setting.

As for microcode updates, VIA C3 CPUs doesn't support them at all.

Edit: I mean the Gigabyte GA-6BXC motherboard.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 21, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
First you have to make sure the Seattle board's voltage regulator can output the necessary voltage (1.4 or 1.45V IIRC) at all. L […]
Show full quote

First you have to make sure the Seattle board's voltage regulator can output the necessary voltage (1.4 or 1.45V IIRC) at all. Locate the VRM controller on the board, google the model number. Usually there are datasheets available. If it can't, the only option is to use one of those ultra rare/expensive Powerleap slotkets with onboard voltage regulator.

I'm far from a slotket guru, but if you ask me, it's well worth the extra cost to buy something with voltage clamp jumpers. The MSI MS-6905 Master seems to work perfectly with everything I throw at it. Found that model quickly, so never had to keep looking and learn about the alternatives.

It is possible to mod a slotket without jumpers to bypass automatic voltage selection too if necessary. There are plenty of guides online. Read up some on how the VID pins and voltage selection with socket 370 works in general to get an idea what you'll have to do.

When it comes to cheap slotkets, I've had luck with those noname "370SPC" ones before discovering the MS-6905. They've never given me any trouble. Running a 1.4GHz Tualeron flawlessly in a Tualatin modded 370SPC . I'm using it with a Abit BH6 board, which allows voltage selection from BIOS, so got no experience of VID modding that particular slotket though. Haven't tried a C3 specifically in it either.

Also note that you might have to patch the BIOS with microcode for C3 to get it working. IIRC those old Intel boards can be pretty picky and refuse to boot anything that's not "officially" supported with unmodded BIOS.

Yes, this is as I understand it as well. I'm at work right now so I can't check and see what the VRM on my board is. My board is a vanilla Intel one, not one of the OEM models. I do know that it works find with at the least the older Coppermine chips as well as Katmai. I've tested both and it's currently running at 700MHZ PIII just fine. I would be VERY surprised if it doesn't support the faster Coppermines. Although that doesn't mean that it will support the VIA chip. Not sure what BIOS I am running either, I will have to check. Intel could get pretty nasty about CPU support.

I found this thread that goes into some more detail, but I didn't want to necro a 10 year old thread.
Intel SE440BX-2 + Pentium III 1ghz Slot 1 CPU?

Reply 5 of 21, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-10-25, 16:58:
VIA C3 CPUs works with any slotket adapter that supports Coppermine just fine, but the motherboard needs a BIOS that fully accep […]
Show full quote

VIA C3 CPUs works with any slotket adapter that supports Coppermine just fine, but the motherboard needs a BIOS that fully accepts them with the L2 cache intact. Not sure about the Intel SE440BX-2 though, being restrictive around CPU multiplier and FSB settings.

Motherboards that I know that works well are almost all ASUS motherboards, especially with DenizOezmen's modded BIOSes and the Gigabyte GA-6BXC rev 2.0 with PowerLeap BIOS. The latter being one of the handful ones based on the Intel 440BX that has 50 MHz FSB setting.

As for microcode updates, VIA C3 CPUs doesn't support them at all.

Edit: I mean the Gigabyte GA-6BXC motherboard.

Good information to have. Thank you. I was on the track of assuming that any Coppermine supporting sloket would work with the chip, but wasn't sure about the motherboard side of things.
I also have two HP OEM Asus P2B-VT boards, with the VIA Apollo 133 chipset, that I technically could use. Being OEM it's always a crapshoot as to what specs are. However I did find this board on the retro web, so there is lots of good info available.

FWIW, I do have another socket 370 board, an Intel D815eea, it supports my Coppermine chips. But no such luck with the VIA chip.
It also doesn't have any ISA slots, but I guess I could get by with one of my better PCI soundcards. But no such luck if neither board will work with the C3.

Reply 6 of 21, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was about to post the exact same question as you, I have been reading about Via C3 / slocket combination for some time now and the more I read the more confused I get.

I have a Supermicro P6SBA 2.0, the VRM at this board supports Vcores from 1.35V to 3.5V, but there is no option to set the vcore from the BIOS, so I don't know if I need a slocket with jumpers or if I can can use a cheap one and the motherboard will correctly detect the required voltage for the C3.

If anyone can chime in on that I would appreciate.

Reply 7 of 21, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pino wrote on 2023-10-25, 18:54:

I was about to post the exact same question as you, I have been reading about Via C3 / slocket combination for some time now and the more I read the more confused I get.

I have a Supermicro P6SBA 2.0, the VRM at this board supports Vcores from 1.35V to 3.5V, but there is no option to set the vcore from the BIOS, so I don't know if I need a slocket with jumpers or if I can can use a cheap one and the motherboard will correctly detect the required voltage for the C3.

If anyone can chime in on that I would appreciate.

The CPU core voltage will be automatically detected by default. If a slotket adapter has jumpers for the core voltage, it can override the default settings (handy for troubleshooting and overclocking 😉).

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 8 of 21, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-10-25, 17:23:

I found this thread that goes into some more detail, but I didn't want to necro a 10 year old thread.

Here is the sequel, with some answers (by Kamerat):
VIA C3 Nehemiah vs. Coppermine(-128) and Tualatin

The voltage clamp is not related to any jumpers, but IIRC to I/O voltage difference between Slot-1 and Socket 370. This is not VCC / V-core.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 21, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote on 2023-10-25, 19:21:

The voltage clamp is not related to any jumpers, but IIRC to I/O voltage difference between Slot-1 and Socket 370. This is not VCC / V-core.

Ah, okay, seen those jumpers being referred to as that before numerous times. While I do realize they only give the VRM controller a signal, and that it might be technically incorrect, I never saw any reason to question the choice of term, since it's about limiting the voltage after all. Maybe it's better to call them "voltage setting jumpers" or something like that instead 😀

Anyways, to avoid misunderstandings, I'm referring to the JV* jumpers in the manual.

Reply 10 of 21, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote on 2023-10-25, 19:21:
Here is the sequel, with some answers (by Kamerat): VIA C3 Nehemiah vs. Coppermine(-128) and Tualatin […]
Show full quote
Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-10-25, 17:23:

Here is the sequel, with some answers (by Kamerat):
VIA C3 Nehemiah vs. Coppermine(-128) and Tualatin

Awesome! Thank you.
I had even read that thread but somehow completely missed that sequence.
So it's looking that there is at least a possibility of getting it to work, depending on board revision and BIOS.
I will take a closer look at my board when I get home and try to determine what I'm working with, get the BIOS version and try to locate the VRM chip.

Reply 11 of 21, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

great info gents, really appreciate.

I'll keep looking for a cheap slocket.

Still debating if I should go the Slot 1+C3+440BX route or SS7+ Via MVP3+K6-2+, I already have both motherboards, but I need to invest on the CPUs.

I have a descent selection of sound cards and video cards, and I don't care too much about early 3D games, I prefer 2D games from that era.

Reply 12 of 21, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pino wrote on 2023-10-26, 13:17:

Still debating if I should go the Slot 1+C3+440BX route or SS7+ Via MVP3+K6-2+, I already have both motherboards, but I need to invest on the CPUs.

The VIA C3 + 440BX/ZX route is the most flexible one in my experience, especially with a motherboard where you can change the FSB thru software or BIOS plus you get a reliable chipset. It has some caveats though: 133 MHz FSB isn't officially supported (having to deal with the AGP @ 89 MHz), needing quality SDRAM sticks for that. However, you can run the CPU at 100 MHz FSB and adjust the multiplier afterwards if that's a concern.

Reply 13 of 21, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Quite a bit of information to be had on the forum already, did a search but still unsure. I have a Via C3 Nehemiah that I would […]
Show full quote

Quite a bit of information to be had on the forum already, did a search but still unsure.
I have a Via C3 Nehemiah that I would like to use with and Intel Seattle 2440BX-2 motherboard.
I know that if I need to use a Tualatin I would need one of the fancier voltage selectable models.
But what if I only care about the VIA and possibly Coppermine P3's and Celerons?

I have the chip currently working fine in a socket 370 micro ATX board. I can't remember the model but it's a MSI Intel 810 board with no AGP/ISA.
It is doing the trick but I'd like to have the option to use it in one of my slot 1 boards, preferably the Intel as the others are VIA based.
The Intel board I've only tested with Coppermine chips, but zero issues there as well.

Any and all information is appreciated. If these questions were already answered in another thread, than I apologize.

Out of the box, no i440 board is compatible with the VIA C3. Some models (Abit BE6, BH6, BX6 to name a few) are compatible with the C3 Samuel core with the latest bios, but performance and stability are a mixed bag.

VIA C3 chips are designed to work with VIA chipsets. Specifically, the Ezra core C3 is designed for the VIA 82C694X while the Nemiah is technically designed to work with the VIA 82C694T chipset, but it will also work ok in some i810 and some i815 boards (Abit ST6 for example).

Performance on the other hand... if the board does not directly support the chip, performance will be horrible. I got 400MB/sec read speeds in a MSI 694T master, witch does not support the C3 Nemiah, and over 900MB/s in an Epox EP-3VSA2.

Finding a compatible and stable board for a C3 is not easy, it takes trial an error, but your safest bet is a VIA 82C694T chipset motherboard, preferably the afformentioned EPOX, but there are board by Abit, Lucky Star, ECS, Gigabyte and Asus that are 100% compatible with it as well.

Experimenting with the i440bx + C3 combination can be fun, but it's also expensive, can be frustrating, and in my experience the results are noware near 694T boards. For examble my Abit BE6-II + MS-6905 slotket + Nemiah C3 1200MHz can do ~700MB/s memory read and 900mb/sec writes, and 3dmark scores are equivalent to a 600-650MHz pentium 3. In my Epox EP-3VSA2 memory performace is 30-35% better and so is gaming performance.

Last edited by Socket3 on 2023-10-28, 12:40. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 14 of 21, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2023-10-26, 14:49:
Out of the box, no i440 board is compatible with the VIA C3. Some models (Abit BE6, BH6, BX6 to name a few) are compatible with […]
Show full quote
Quite a bit of information to be had on the forum already, did a search but still unsure. I have a Via C3 Nehemiah that I would […]
Show full quote

Out of the box, no i440 board is compatible with the VIA C3. Some models (Abit BE6, BH6, BX6 to name a few) are compatible with the C3 Samuel core with the latest bios, but performance and stability are a mixed bag.

VIA C3 chips are designed to work with VIA chipsets. Specifically, the Ezra core C3 is designed for the VIA 82C694X while the Nemiah is technically designed to work with the VIA 82C694T chipset, but it will also work ok in some i810 and some i815 boards (Abit ST6 for example).

Performance on the other hand... if the board does not directly support the chip, performance will be horrible. I got 400MB/sec read speeds in a MSI 694T master, witch does not support the C3 Nemiah, and over 1000MB/s in an Epox EP-3VSA2.

Finding a compatible and stable board for a C3 is not easy, it takes trial an error, but your safest bet is a VIA 82C694X chipset motherboard, preferably the afformentioned EPOX, but there are board by Abit, Lucky Star, ECS, Gigabyte and Asus that are 100% compatible with it as well.

Experimenting with the i440bx + C3 combination can be fun, but it's also expensive, can be frustrating, and in my experience the results are noware near 694T boards. For examble my Abit BE6-II + Nemiah C3 1200MHz can do ~700MB/s memory read and 900mb/sec writes, and 3dmark scores are equivalent to a 600-650MHz pentium 3. In my Epox EP-3VSA2 memory performace is 30-35% better and so is gaming performance.

I have heard similar before, but have also heard conflicting results.
I know that the chip for sure works with my Intel 810 board, it overclocks well also.
How is compatibility with the vanilla VIA VT82C693A (Apollo Pro 133) chipset?

Reply 15 of 21, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Performance on the other hand... if the board does not directly support the chip, performance will be horrible. I got 400MB/sec read speeds in a MSI 694T master, witch does not support the C3 Nemiah, and over 1000MB/s in an Epox EP-3VSA2.

Experimenting with the i440bx + C3 combination can be fun, but it's also expensive, can be frustrating, and in my experience the results are noware near 694T boards. For examble my Abit BE6-II + Nemiah C3 1200MHz can do ~700MB/s memory read and 900mb/sec writes, and 3dmark scores are equivalent to a 600-650MHz pentium 3. In my Epox EP-3VSA2 memory performace is 30-35% better and so is gaming performance.

I just wanted to write all sorts of nasty things, but you did it better. 😀
Nothing to add or subtract.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 16 of 21, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shevalier wrote on 2023-10-26, 15:50:

I just wanted to write all sorts of nasty things, but you did it better. 😀
Nothing to add or subtract.

Thanks for the help guys.
I'm not SUPER concerned about top end performance, although I don't want it to be terrible.
I have plenty of faster machines, and slower ones as well.
Just looking to minimize having 3 or four boxes around at any given time.
I've got a k6-3+ machine that is pretty versatile, but the C3 should be even more so.
The chip i've got clocks pretty decently, I was able to run it at 1600 (12x133) and pass all benchmarks and a 1+ Unreal flyby with no crashing or artifacts.
Although it did display some graphical glitches in 3dMark 2k. It's 100% stable at 11.5 x133 however.
That's on the 810 board.

Reply 17 of 21, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-10-26, 15:10:
I have heard similar before, but have also heard conflicting results. I know that the chip for sure works with my Intel 810 boa […]
Show full quote
Out of the box, no i440 board is compatible with the VIA C3. Some models (Abit BE6, BH6, BX6 to name a few) are compatible with […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Finding a compatible and stable board for a C3 is not easy, it takes trial an error, but your safest bet is a VIA 82C694X chipset motherboard, preferably the afformentioned EPOX, but there are board by Abit, Lucky Star, ECS, Gigabyte and Asus that are 100% compatible with it as well.

I know that the chip for sure works with my Intel 810 board, it overclocks well also.

very hit and miss. So far I tried the Gigabyte GA-6VM7A+ and a Shuttle AV11, both with poor results. The Gigabyte partially supports the Nemiah with the latest bios, but performance is very 693-like. Mediocre at best memory speeds and a questionable PCI latency timer implementation (audio popping and clicking with a Creative CT4810). Decent results with an 800MHz samuel tough. The shuttle is just un-usable with any C3 chip... it's even slow when loading up windows. Those are the only two 693A boards I've bothered to test.

Here is one of my threads, I also have benchmark results - VIA C3 1200A, P3 750, Tualeron 1000Mhz and Tualatin 1400 512k, all tested on a EPOX EP-3VSA2 (VIA VT82C694T) with the latest 2003 bios: VIA C3 1200A (nemiah) vs Celeron Tualatin 1000 vs Pentium III-S 1400 512K - short review, features and performance data

on a fully compatible motherboard, the C3 1200 Nemiah performs like a 750MHz Pentium 3 coppermine. If you bump the clocks up (my sample can do 1466 stable) you can get close to a pentium 3 850. Some chips can clock to 1500Mhz and a bit over using stock voltage, but a good motherboard is critical.

I'm sure all 694X and 694T boards can fully support the C3 line, the problem is the BIOS....

Reply 18 of 21, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-10-26, 16:44:

The chip i've got clocks pretty decently, I was able to run it at 1600 (12x133) and pass all benchmarks and a 1+ Unreal flyby with no crashing or artifacts.

Lucky you! 😁

Mine required a very small core voltage bump just to get it stable at 1.46 GHz.

Reply 19 of 21, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2023-10-26, 18:05:
very hit and miss. So far I tried the Gigabyte GA-6VM7A+ and a Shuttle AV11, both with poor results. The Gigabyte partially supp […]
Show full quote
Jasin Natael wrote on 2023-10-26, 15:10:
I have heard similar before, but have also heard conflicting results. I know that the chip for sure works with my Intel 810 boa […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

very hit and miss. So far I tried the Gigabyte GA-6VM7A+ and a Shuttle AV11, both with poor results. The Gigabyte partially supports the Nemiah with the latest bios, but performance is very 693-like. Mediocre at best memory speeds and a questionable PCI latency timer implementation (audio popping and clicking with a Creative CT4810). Decent results with an 800MHz samuel tough. The shuttle is just un-usable with any C3 chip... it's even slow when loading up windows. Those are the only two 693A boards I've bothered to test.

Here is one of my threads, I also have benchmark results - VIA C3 1200A, P3 750, Tualeron 1000Mhz and Tualatin 1400 512k, all tested on a EPOX EP-3VSA2 (VIA VT82C694T) with the latest 2003 bios: VIA C3 1200A (nemiah) vs Celeron Tualatin 1000 vs Pentium III-S 1400 512K - short review, features and performance data

on a fully compatible motherboard, the C3 1200 Nemiah performs like a 750MHz Pentium 3 coppermine. If you bump the clocks up (my sample can do 1466 stable) you can get close to a pentium 3 850. Some chips can clock to 1500Mhz and a bit over using stock voltage, but a good motherboard is critical.

I'm sure all 694X and 694T boards can fully support the C3 line, the problem is the BIOS....

Good information to have. I will probably order a cheapie slocket just to satisfy my curiosity.
Hopefully I can get lucky with one board or another. Unfortunately the Asus boards are HP OEM models....so that sucks. But worth a shot anyway.
My chip overclocks well on the cheapie MSI board, might get lucky twice.