VOGONS

First post, by Try_deleted

User metadata

Hello, i thought that an SSD could make up for the AMD athlon 3000+ that i have installed in my system right now

Motherboard is an msi k8mm3-v

I just want to install a sata SSD onto my system, and im gonna install windows 2000 on that drive, but i dont know how to find the right drivers and how to put them into the iso/how to select them in the setup, help would be appreciated

thanks!

Last edited by Try_deleted on 2024-03-28, 10:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You’ll need the “F6” drivers for your SATA controller, so called because you press F6 when prompted during setup to provide 2K/XP installer the drivers required for the storage controller.

You can slipstream them into the CD image if you want to, but it’s just as simple to switch the disc out (or provide a floppy with the drivers) during that portion of setup.

Reply 2 of 3, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a K8M800; I think the typical south bridge it comes with doesn't have AHCI support. (Or at least my K8M800 board doesn't) So... set the BIOS to legacy instead of RAID and it should install fine without an F6 driver.

Reply 3 of 3, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the MSI website there are drivers for Win2k that pertain to the PATA/SATA drivers.
Download those. That will get you an archive file, you need to extract that to a folder of the same name...
You will find VIA_RAID_OM74\VIARAID_OM74\DriverDisk\TXTSETUP.OEM (the folder being "DriverDisk")
You need to copy the contents of that folder to a floppy disk.
On installing Windows 2000 during the text only portion of the setup, just moments after it starts and before it starts loading drivers, which is all the text names at the bottom of the screen it will ask you to press F6 to load any drivers.
You press F6 at the prompt and then when it asks for the floppy disk give it the driver disk you created as described above.
Make sure the .OEM file is in the root of the floppy disk.
So TXTSETUP.OEM and the associated folders are the first thing you see when you open the floppy disk, it shouldnt be in a sub folder.

That will load the drivers for the onboard SATA controller, it will also allow any RAID options you have expressed to carry through.

Or do you want to integrate the drivers into a Windows 2000 CD? If your new disk requires large LBA then you may well need to edit your installation media before so intergrated drivers would be possible at the same time.