VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have 1Mb originally using the sim with 9 chip. i have also 4 simm with 3 chip seen in photo but when i install i only receive this error… someone know why?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 12, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems the issue belongs to the first bank, perhaps a broken solder joint?

https://museo.freaknet.org/gallery/ibm/ps2/st … error-code.html

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 4 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Supports up to 4MB on board.

But being IBM as usual used non-standard modules, you can use 3 chip or 9 chip 1MB modules but have to modify them.

Success! Convert regular SIMMs into IBM PS/2 proprietary SIMMs

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 12, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-10-26, 16:13:

Supports up to 4MB on board.

But being IBM as usual used non-standard modules, you can use 3 chip or 9 chip 1MB modules but have to modify them.

Success! Convert regular SIMMs into IBM PS/2 proprietary SIMMs

but mine are ibm branded!

Reply 6 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have to light candles, create an atmosphere, and whisper the FRU to it as you turn it on... so it knows it's the right part.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 12, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-26, 18:14:

You have to light candles, create an atmosphere, and whisper the FRU to it as you turn it on... so it knows it's the right part.

You guys know if are the right part! Vogons is full of extremely competent people 😀

Reply 8 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Magic numbers for 1MB SIMMs IBM P/N 30F5360 IBM FRU 74X8637 or do this mod... http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/misc/ps2cache/

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 12, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-26, 19:12:

Magic numbers for 1MB SIMMs IBM P/N 30F5360 IBM FRU 74X8637 or do this mod... http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/misc/ps2cache/

mmmhh.. I read your link well, it doesn't seem like a difficult job to do, the only doubt I have.. if you look at the photo of my simm with 3 chips (which are the 1 MB ones to be modified) they have 2 identical chips and a different one... why? Is this change also valid for them?

Reply 10 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3 chips is same way as 9 chips, just the two chips are 4 bits wide each for 8 bit data, and third chip is 1 bit wide for parity.

Cheers,

Reply 11 of 12, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-10-26, 21:59:

3 chips is same way as 9 chips, just the two chips are 4 bits wide each for 8 bit data, and third chip is 1 bit wide for parity.

Cheers,

yes, but in the modification scheme the connection of the rightmost chip is modified, but my rightmost one is precisely the one different from the other two.

Reply 12 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The pinout of SIMM are same regardless of chips, what you need to change the routing from the pinout not the chips as shown on the photos.

Cheers,