VOGONS

First post, by ldare1000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, picked up an old Dell Latitude D410 today. It has DDR slot A hidden under the keyboard and DDR slot B easily accessed underneath with a cover. I have the manual but can't quite work out if I need to add memory in pairs. It takes DDR2.

Any advice from anyone with experience of this laptop would be great.

Thanks
Louis

Reply 3 of 4, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ldare1000 wrote on 2023-10-26, 18:51:

Hi, picked up an old Dell Latitude D410 today. It has DDR slot A hidden under the keyboard and DDR slot B easily accessed underneath with a cover. I have the manual but can't quite work out if I need to add memory in pairs. It takes DDR2.

I had a D610 for years; I think it's the same thing as the D410 just a bigger screen. My recollection is that I had ordered the laptop with 256 megs, which was under the keyboard, and I added another... gig?... in the easily accessible slot behind, and I ran it for years like that, all the way until RAM got really cheap and it got old enough I wasn't scared of disassembling the keyboard and Vista and... upgraded it to 2 gigs.

I'm trying to remember if the i915 chipset even supports any kind of dual-channel memory. If it did, it certainly didn't worry me at the time...

Reply 4 of 4, by ldare1000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-26, 21:44:
ldare1000 wrote on 2023-10-26, 18:51:

I had a D610 for years; I think it's the same thing as the D410 just a bigger screen. My recollection is that I had ordered the laptop with 256 megs, which was under the keyboard, and I added another... gig?... in the easily accessible slot behind, and I ran it for years like that, all the way until RAM got really cheap and it got old enough I wasn't scared of disassembling the keyboard and Vista and... upgraded it to 2 gigs.

I'm trying to remember if the i915 chipset even supports any kind of dual-channel memory. If it did, it certainly didn't worry me at the time...

Thanks, really helpful