VOGONS

First post, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a note on The Retro Web mentioning that Asus TX97 and all of it's related siblings (TX97-E, TX97-XE etc.) have potentially insufficient power delivery which could result in hardware damage. I've tried to find any info on the issue but was unsuccessful. Does anyone know what is that about?

Quote from the site:

This motherboard may have insufficient power delivery, which can lead to unstable or unsafe operation. In extreme cases, this may result in hardware damage, spontaneous combustion, or other electrical failures. Users should exercise caution and consider upgrading the motherboard power supply or other components to ensure safe and stable operation. The RetroWeb community may also provide guidance and assistance in mitigating this issue.

Reply 1 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shouldn't be too terrible if K6-233 support is official. What problem I see there though, is no documented setting below 2.5V but a K6-2/3/+ BIOS upgrade being available, which may lead to regulator overload if running those CPUs faster than 350-400ish Mhz... because they still want the current.

Edit: and you can probably overload the 3.3V regulation by using a too hungry/late PCI graphics card.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 11, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to official Asus website, the TX97 supports up to K6-2 333MHz. I have no idea if this is the fastest CPU that stays in safe limits of the motherboard or Asus stopped caring at certain point of time. So I guess sticking to period correct HW should be fine?

By the way I think there is an undocumented 2.2V jumper config.

Reply 5 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of "us", the diehard socket 7 upgraders, were aware back in the day that pre-K6-2 built boards may not have voltage regulators that are happy with running CPU deep into the 300s and higher. So any of us who had any sense at that time, were starting CPUs up at low multipliers, keeping a finger on the regulator, seeing how warm it got, if only up to "drinkable coffee" warm, great, next notch up on multiplier and so on, until we got to "ouchy hot, hit the button!" and then considered the board only good to one speed notch down from there, with airflow on the voltage regulators helpful.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 11, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it's probably related to problems while using fast K6 CPUs. Should be OK as I plan to use it with Pentium MMX 233 @260.

However I wonder if all boards are affected and if so, could be upgraded with some parts to make the power circuit more robust. Would be nice to know.

Reply 7 of 11, by sneeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive got an Asus Sp97-v which is a cheaper sis based socket 7 board that also has the same power delivery comments made for it, came with a p233mmx that I guess has been there since it was new, Ive had it a 262mhz for 2 years without issues.

Reply 9 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This chart, originally by C. Hare was the one I much referred to back around turn of the millennium for handy reference of CPU power requirements...
https://www.pchardwarelinks.com/elec_pentium.htm

Comparing that to voltage regulator and output transistor data sheets gave me the best go/no-go estimates for particular boards... still did the finger check though.

Reply 11 of 11, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use an external power supply for the cpu then 😀

Socket 5/7/SS7 (Voltage Interposer) Tweaker. (Released)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)