VOGONS

ABit AB-AT4

Topic actions

First post, by betaporter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up an ABit AB-AT4 motherboard with a 486DX-33 (this is the board from The Retro Web: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/abit-ab-at4).

I popped in a 16-bit Trident ISA VGA card and a few sticks of RAM, and it booted right up. Success!

However, I went into the BIOS settings to start adjusting things, and after navigating through a menu or two, the display became corrupted. I rebooted, and the board has not booted since.

I stuck a POST diagnostics card in it, and I'm getting a POST code of 23.

I'm not entirely certain which AMI BIOS revision the board has, but most searches for "AMI BIOS POST 23" point me at a description that I don't know what to make of: "Base 64k sequential data R/W test passed. Going to set BIOS stack and do any setup before Interrupt".

I've tried swapping RAM with known good RAM, without success.

Anybody have any ideas on what to try next?

Reply 1 of 2, by Towncivilian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has the Ni-Cad RTC battery been eliminated? Examine the board for damage and corrosion around where the battery is/was. Post some photos of your board if you suspect damage.

abit BX-133 RAID, P3-S 1.4Ghz, 768MB PC133, GeForce FX5200, SB16 ISA, 2x40GB RAID1, Sony SDT-9000 & Connor CTD-8000 SCSI DDS2 DAT drives, 3COM 10/100 NIC, Win2k SP4
Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Reply 2 of 2, by betaporter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The battery had leaked a little, and has since been removed. No obvious trace damage, perhaps a little corrosion on the legs of a couple of resistors near the keyboard controller.

I'll post photos a little later!