VOGONS

First post, by orion83uk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

It occurred to me this week I have posted very little on Vogons, but have read through dozens of threads on numerous topics. I suddenly thought this could be a semi-interesting topic to discuss (which hopefully hasn’t been discussed before).

With regard to socket 7 / super socket 7, I know that a few OEMs employed S7 / SS7 solutions for their more budget oriented desktop PCs back in late 1998/1999/2000. I’ve come across numerous examples which used the K6-2 processor (333, 366, 400, 450 and 500 MHz versions) from Compaq, Hewlett Packard, Packard Bell and Time Computers to name a few, and I’m in no doubt that there will be others out there too. I realise Compaq and Packard Bell (and eMachines) also used the Cyrix MII in some of their super budget systems.

Interestingly, in the case of Packard Bell, they even had multiple 500MHz K6-2 offerings of their Club series computers (Squarius II case) in early 2000 with some using the VIA Apollo MVP4 chipset and others using the SIS 530/5595 Chipset.

What I have never seen however is any OEMs using a K6-3 processor in a SS7 setup.

I just wondered (for no reason other than general geeky interest) if anyone knew of any OEM desktops (not laptops) that used a k6-III processor from around the 1999/2000 era?

Last edited by orion83uk on 2023-10-27, 22:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cybermax had models with the K6-3.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 5, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you looked at the IBM "nee Acer" Aptivas from that time period? I don't know whether they had any K6-3s, but they sure sold a LOT of K6s and even more K6-2s...

Reply 3 of 5, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-27, 20:32:

Have you looked at the IBM "nee Acer" Aptivas from that time period? I don't know whether they had any K6-3s, but they sure sold a LOT of K6s and even more K6-2s...

I've got one of these, beautiful system. It's a model 2137 and originally came with a K6 233, 32MB pc66 and 2GB HDD. The vrm goes as low as 2.2v and any K6-2 will run in it, but my K6-3 and K6+ CPUs won't give image. Even at 66MHz bus.
It has the Ali IV chipset so that is no issue. Maybe it needs a bios update.
It is arguable to call it a true super 7, because there's no AGP, no 100MHz support (83 is unstable, even when paired with pc133 ram and 100MHz capable CPU).
K6-2 CxT @75*6 will run great!
I keep mine original 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 5, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
waterbeesje wrote on 2023-10-28, 11:11:
I've got one of these, beautiful system. It's a model 2137 and originally came with a K6 233, 32MB pc66 and 2GB HDD. The vrm goe […]
Show full quote
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-27, 20:32:

I've got one of these, beautiful system. It's a model 2137 and originally came with a K6 233, 32MB pc66 and 2GB HDD. The vrm goes as low as 2.2v and any K6-2 will run in it, but my K6-3 and K6+ CPUs won't give image. Even at 66MHz bus.
It has the Ali IV chipset so that is no issue. Maybe it needs a bios update.
It is arguable to call it a true super 7, because there's no AGP, no 100MHz support (83 is unstable, even when paired with pc133 ram and 100MHz capable CPU).
K6-2 CxT @75*6 will run great!
I keep mine original 😀

Okay, consider me shocked that you would consider this a 'beautiful' system. I had a 2137-E56 back in the day, K6... 266, 48MB PC66, 4GB HDD, so... one notch higher spec than yours? At some point it got upgraded to 64MB and not more because I was scared of some cache limit; also added an Ethernet card and a CD-RW. And my memories of it are not very fond. Oh, and the matching bundled IBM CRT monitor failed within the one year warranty.

Let's just say it should tell you something that I somehow convinced my parents to spend the money on a Dell PIII (that I went on to love... and that I wish I had kept, then I would have turned it into a vintage 98SE system) when the "IBM" was barely two years old. And it should tell you something else that, with the exception of a motherboard acquired a few weeks ago for a vintage 98SE project, every single (Windows) computer/motherboard I have bought since that 2137-E56 has been an Intel CPU with an Intel chipset. The entire reason I've owned the RDRAM and the Hotbursts and other legendary Intel mistakes is because of that IBM K6 box.

Interestingly enough, that machine finished its life running Win2000 for my elderly aunt, first computer she ever had, until she replaced it with one of those ubiquitous Dell 2400/3000s running XP.

Reply 5 of 5, by orion83uk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-10-27, 16:40:

Cybermax had models with the K6-3.

Well that answered my question pretty quickly. One of the things I find interesting about discussions like this is you get a reminder of computer brands that no longer exist while also coming across brands that were never available in your country - I'm fairly certain CyberMax (or Quantex) weren't available here in the UK (happy to be told I'm wrong on that one)?

That "ValueMax 1" is also one of the first OEM SS7 machines I've seen which isn't extremely 'budgety' i.e. ALi Aladdin 5 chipset motherboard with an AGP port rather than integrated everything.