VOGONS

First post, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi i have old zida BX98-3D slot 1 mobo. when trying ps2 mouse work , mouse led is working but windows 98 se not detecting mouse. trying bios settings but cant find any option for ps2 mouse?

Reply 1 of 10, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the motherboard have USB, and if so have you disabled it?

On my Asus K7M (Slot A), if I disable USB for some reason I also lose the mouse PS/2 port (keyboard continues to work).

Reply 2 of 10, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-10-28, 16:53:

Does the motherboard have USB, and if so have you disabled it?

On my Asus K7M (Slot A), if I disable USB for some reason I also lose the mouse PS/2 port (keyboard continues to work).

Usb is enabled

Reply 3 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using the original PS2 back plate or an after market one. With the LED working it is getting proper 5v but maybe the data and clock signals are not wired proper to JP12...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 10, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-10-28, 20:10:

Are you using the original PS2 back plate or an after market one. With the LED working it is getting proper 5v but maybe the data and clock signals are not wired proper to JP12...

Its not original back plate. i dont know it is related but com (serial ) port also not working

Reply 5 of 10, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are some pics of motherboard and bracket

Attachments

Reply 6 of 10, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the mouse pin outs from the manual; most likely your PS/2 plate isn't wired correctly for this motherboard.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 7 of 10, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For an example, here's one from a Soyo manual. Caution: not all PS/2 backplates use the same color codes for the wires! I had one that I had to verify the wire positions with a meter.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To me it looks like the plate connector is a dual 4 pin but the board needs a 5 pin.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 10, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You serial port issue is likely the same since there is more than one pin out for serial ports. This is the sort of thing that demonstrates why the ATX standard was a very welcome step forward from AT motherboards.

Reply 10 of 10, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, that connector looks as though it's for a pinout like the one on the right in this image. Having saved lots of odds and ends, I have a number of five pin connectors in my spares box that I could use, hopefully the OP does as well. If you never have, removing and replacing the wires can be done easily enough, just take care to not pry them out too far.

Attachments