VOGONS

First post, by Timucin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, greetings to everyone. I've read about problems with serial mice before, but my problem is a little deeper. I assembled Mitac PH5400TX motherboard, Pemtium 166 MMX (200) CPU, S3 Virge system. I installed Windows 95 OSR 2.5 operating system on a CF card. Everything works great but no matter what I do the serial mouse doesn't work. I tried everything written below:
The cable is properly connected to the comports on the motherboard, not upside down.
I also bought old cables, but the system does not recognize the mouse
There are 2 different basic serial mice that have never been used, I tried both of them.
I installed the operating system twice. Every time it is installed, it says the vmx file is missing, so I install it again from the CD.
I changed the IRQ numbers many times in the Integrated Peripherals section in case of a Bios IRQ conflict, but the result did not change.
I found an ISA com port, plugged it in that worked, turned the IRQ ports off and on so they wouldn't conflict, changed them, and the mouse still didn't work.
I tried the RAM on the motherboard one by one, removed and installed components such as the sound card, but the result did not change.
The only thing I can think of is that the CMOS settings occasionally give errors. The battery was newly installed, but I don't know if there is a short circuit or if this could be the reason.
Maybe I can find an IRDA cable for Ps/2, but it is doubtful whether it will work or not... Has anyone encountered such a situation? Thank you very much.

Reply 1 of 26, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could you verify with a multimeter that all the voltages are present, ie +12v, +5v, -5v, -12v ? Verify the voltages on the PSU connector and on the ISA slot.
and if possible post some hi-res photos of only the mainboard since the one on the retroweb is seriously lacking in detail.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 26, by Timucin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Friend, thank you very much for your message. I have found the high-res pictures of the board:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MITAC-INTERNATIONAL- … 30544621?_ul=IL

I will also check the psu but it is an ATX one Redrock 300 Watt without -5V but I think RS232 will not require -5V but I will upload.

Reply 4 of 26, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Timucin wrote on 2023-10-29, 14:02:

The cable is properly connected to the comports on the motherboard, not upside down.
I also bought old cables, but the system does not recognize the mouse

Verify the pinout of the cables and report them back. the arrow on the IDC plug indicates pin 1, and next to it are all the odd numbered ones. The other line contains all the even numbered pins.
On the 9 pin serial connector the numbers might be indicated in the plastic.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 26, by Timucin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So when I look at the cable, I cannot really understand the numbering.
Here are the pictures. Anyone who could identify the numbering for comport?

Mice are working, I controlled them on a XP machine.

1000024235.jpg
Filename
1000024235.jpg
File size
31.55 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
1000024238.jpg
Filename
1000024238.jpg
File size
30.41 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
1000024232.jpg
Filename
1000024232.jpg
File size
29.41 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 8 of 26, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll need to work out a couple of things. Firstly on your cable which pin on the rectangular connector (IDC connector) goes to which pin on the Dsub connector. Easiest way to do that is probably to take the back off the dsub end of the cable so you can see which strand of the cable goes to which pin on the connector. There are a couple of sort of standards which Evasive gave above.

Secondly you need to find which pin on the motherboard COM port is connected to Ground. Easiest way to do that is to get a multimeter and (with the board unplugged) measure the resistance from each pin to a point you know is Gound (e.g. motherboard mounting screw, or a Ground pin on the power connector). One of the pins should measure around 0 ohms, and that's the Ground pin.

From knowing those two things then you'll know if pin 5 on the dsub (if you look closely you might see each pin is numbered on the connector) will be connected to the Ground pin on the COM port. If it is then it should probably work and the problem might be somewhere else. If pin 5 isn't Ground then you'll need to resolder or modify the cable.

Reply 9 of 26, by Timucin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much for your helps. But I am not handy really that much. I am interested in social sciences rather but still encompassed within the wind of computers 😀 So I found some RS 232 cables, do you think one of these work? Because the strange thing is even ISA comport didn't work... Finally can it be because of the psu if it doesn't support -5V??? Maybe for ISA card I believe.

https://tr.aliexpress.com/item/10050049055113 … 212234285508%21

https://tr.aliexpress.com/item/10050052977451 … 212234285508%21

Reply 10 of 26, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at the images, it appears to have a PS/2 mouse header like the one on the right side of this image. I would confirm the +5 and ground with a meter before plugging anything in (just to be sure), but acquiring and (if necessary) rewiring a PS/2 mouse backplate would likely be easier than finding the correct serial port cable, and you'd have a better mouse in the bargain.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 12 of 26, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's at times like this that I realize that setting up old computers like this really has become a forgotten art as far as most of the world is concerned. Here is a vendor that has what you need, but I have no idea if they are someone you would, could, or should buy from. I'm sure (well, I'm pretty sure) that someone on Ebay has them for sale, but so far I can't deduce the wording they used for listing them. https://www.tritekelectronics.com/privacy-pol … fic-brk-ps2-2x4

A number of other vendors that had those came up on Google - all at about the same price.

Reply 14 of 26, by Timucin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Repo Man. Thank you very much. I have tried everything so far. I have bought PS/2 converter didn't work, mouse didn't even get electric energy, tried different angles still no. Tried to brush the Comports with IPA... Tried 7 different cables. Changed BIOS settings and Comport settings. Tried 4 different mice. Can it be due to windows 95 or what I don't know what to say. But I just want this PC to work under 95. Bad thing is it is very fast and everything is working properly except the mouse.

Attachments

• 1000026491.jpg
    Filename
    1000026491.jpg
    File size
    221.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1000026490.jpg
    Filename
    1000026490.jpg
    File size
    571.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1000026489.jpg
    Filename
    1000026489.jpg
    File size
    299.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1000026474.jpg
    Filename
    1000026474.jpg
    File size
    273.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1000026472.jpg
    Filename
    1000026472.jpg
    File size
    795.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 16 of 26, by Timucin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I cannot say exactly but these are the detailed pictures.

Attachments

• 1000027233.jpg
    Filename
    1000027233.jpg
    File size
    392.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1000027232.jpg
    Filename
    1000027232.jpg
    File size
    173.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1000027231.jpg
    Filename
    1000027231.jpg
    File size
    79.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1000027228.jpg
    Filename
    1000027228.jpg
    File size
    189.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1000027227.jpg
    Filename
    1000027227.jpg
    File size
    213.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 17 of 26, by Timucin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is how my boards pins look. But I cannot calculate whether the board pin outs have voltage or not since I am not equipped with any device nor with skills.

Attachments

• 1000027234.jpg
    Filename
    1000027234.jpg
    File size
    246.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 18 of 26, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To track down the exact issue you will need to procure a basic multimeter and measure the voltage. Here is a quick video on measuring DC voltage, and the meter used is a basic one that can be purchased for less than $20.00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glVID_skJFQ

Reply 19 of 26, by Timucin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will try this yes. But it is strange even ISA comport didn't work. I suspect something related to BIOS may trigger it. Maybe the board meant to be an industrial one but still should support mouse through comports. Meanwhile I sent an e-mail to Mitac Europe and surprisingly at this hour of the day I got a response and they will probably jump into the action to look into the issue. After many years, it is nice to see a solid company who stand firmly behind their products. I will update you guys. Appreciate all help. Once I finish the machine, it will be a great one. The Voodoo Banshee is waiting to kick off for Mitac!