VOGONS

First post, by leech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Biostar 85000TTD, which has the wholes for an ATX power supply connector, but the connector is missing, with only solder in the holes;
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/biostar-mb-8500ttd

It looks like it has a 'Soft off power supply' connector for an ATX button/momentary switch. Would simply soldering on an ATX connector allow me to use an ATX PSU with this board? Would be simpler than having to swap out the PSU every time I feel like messing with a different motherboard (though of course I could always get an ATX to AT connector, it's a lot more fun to solder stuff... 😜 )

Reply 1 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know Feipoa has one of these boards (we exchanged some information since I also have one), and IIRC he once mentioned to not bother trying to add an ATX power supply connector because he tried, and it didn't work. I thought it was in this thread, but I don't see it now. Try sending him a private message. Re: mb-8500ttd manual needed

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 5, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Adding the missing parts of the power management system is not a problem. There will obviously be a couple of resistors and transistors.
The question is if there is code in the BIOS that is responsible for power management.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 4 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, the 8500TTD is missing the PCB components for the soft-off function. I never bothered to figure out which components were needed and this effort is pretty low on my priority list. If someone knows for sure which parts are needed, please post back.

I'm just using an ATX to AT adaptor, but this comes with some loss of voltage to the motherboard. It would be better to have proper ATX power connector.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm attaching a high resolution photo of the MB-8500TTD in case anyone is able to determine which empty pads are needed for ATX power.

MB-8500TTD.JPG
Filename
MB-8500TTD.JPG
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.