VOGONS

First post, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found this in the garbage along the road, it wouldnt power up so i took it apart and cleaned it, and looks like it was so dusty and smoky/tarry that i had to clean the contacts and change the clock cmos battery and after that I put it back together and it worked.

Question is now what do I do with it? Its a paltry 63MB of RAM 4GB hard drive with a 4x cd rom and floppy drive of which i have neither.

I am glad it came with 98 se and the usb drivers work with newer equipment. looks amazing similar to what i had growing up but what do you do with it.

I "fixed" it but its not worth upgrading. Maybe i should donate it to a museum or internet archive but i doubt anyone would take it.

I used to fix computers for a living, cant even begin to put gnu linux on it, I tried tiny core or damn small linux but its unusable in a CLI environment.

It only has 4 USB ports of which I have a usb port adder which gives me more ports to work with. I can make it go online of which I tried protoweb and theoldnet but that got boring real soon.

Attachments

iami

Reply 1 of 9, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What graphics/sound card does it have?

Random observation from reading threads around here for a few months - generally speaking, where compatibility is there, you want to go about two OSes back for a vintage system. e.g. a meh early-XP system should be looked at as a great 98SE system, an okay mid-Windows 7-era system should be looked at as a great XP system, etc.

So... I'm randomly wondering whether this thing could turn out to be a fabulous DOS machine?

Reply 2 of 9, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-30, 01:31:

What graphics/sound card does it have?

Random observation from reading threads around here for a few months - generally speaking, where compatibility is there, you want to go about two OSes back for a vintage system. e.g. a meh early-XP system should be looked at as a great 98SE system, an okay mid-Windows 7-era system should be looked at as a great XP system, etc.

So... I'm randomly wondering whether this thing could turn out to be a fabulous DOS machine?

ironically its a poor dos machine poor emulation cant even get keyboard/mouse to work in dos mode. graphics and sound is all on board intel/soundmax which stinks. im looking for windows only demos circa 1996 1998

iami

Reply 4 of 9, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2023-10-30, 01:58:

In addition to the sites you mentioned, check out frogfind dot com with it. It's a search engine for old browsers, and will strip out modern web stuff when you view a page in its results.

actually that is included in protoweb. ive been playing demos. Also i was looking at legacy software but i have no documents i created years ago which is incompatible with newer systems

iami

Reply 5 of 9, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twiz11 wrote on 2023-10-30, 02:31:

In addition to the sites you mentioned, check out frogfind dot com with it. It's a search engine for old browsers, and will strip out modern web stuff when you view a page in its results.

actually that is included in protoweb. ive been playing demos. Also i was looking at legacy software but i have no documents i created years ago which is incompatible with newer systems

Oh nice! Didn't know that.

Reply 6 of 9, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2023-10-30, 02:39:
twiz11 wrote on 2023-10-30, 02:31:

Oh nice! Didn't know that.

i was watching LGR's review of 1999 gateway astro. reminded me of the powerpc mac all in ones

iami

Reply 7 of 9, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twiz11 wrote on 2023-10-30, 01:01:

Maybe i should donate it to a museum or internet archive but i doubt anyone would take it.

One other thought: you could try and list it for top dollar and hope it sells to a very nostalgic person who wants to own their first computer again? 😀

(Seriously - I saw someone list my first DOS/Windows computer and the matching monitor, a very very mediocre AST non-Intel 486 that I could say a lot of bad things about with a matching mediocre CRT, for something like $300CAD on Facebook Marketplace, and it sold... so... yeah, it seems like nostalgic people will sometimes want to buy what objectively would be seen as a... less than stellar... specimen of a particular era. Then take the money and buy yourself a good DOS or Win98 SE rig!)

Reply 8 of 9, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

>63MB of RAM
That right there is a clue about sharing ram for Video memory. 810 chipset = low end garbage.
Its a bad cheap computer. Nothing you would want to actually use, and a bad display piece compared to Hot Wheels/Barbie PCs (same innards) or iMac G3.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 9 of 9, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-10-30, 19:34:

>63MB of RAM
That right there is a clue about sharing ram for Video memory. 810 chipset = low end garbage.
Its a bad cheap computer. Nothing you would want to actually use, and a bad display piece compared to Hot Wheels/Barbie PCs (same innards) or iMac G3.

I should give it away heh the monitor is worth more than the board

iami