VOGONS

First post, by nilsnegativ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello and greetings from Germany!

I present you a very interesting 286-12 mainboard that is probably broken. And of course, I would like to revive it. But I need help!

I received this board as gift from my father sometime in the 90s and it was on the wall of my teenage room as decoration for quite a while. Recently I re-discovered it in my parents' house and took it home.

What can I tell you about this thing?

• I don't see any obvious signs of damage.
  • The connector for an ISA riser is really weird since it has more pins (4 if I counted correctly). So far I found only one offer for a fitting ISA riser on eBay and it is on the expensive side. I would like the board to be working first before I spend (more) money.
  • The keyboard connector is that 5 pin header and I do not have the matching breakout. I would need to cobble something together.
  • The CPU was inserted the wrong way, I corrected that. In the photos it is shown in the wrong orientation.

Now the good things:
Epictronics did a video about a Canon A200-E(x), that is where I could gleam a lot of information. He also kindly provided some photos of the DIP switch settings ins this thread:
286 Acer 915P (N) showing and few questions

The bad things:
I build a GBS Control and Necroware's MCE adapter. But when I turn on the board I get no beep from the onboard speaker and GBS Control says no signal. The chips and CPU do get hot though. The CPU more so than I expected but I do not own another 286 for comparison.
So.. I am pretty much stuck.

I don't know wether the MCE adapter works and I cannot use another graphics card due to missing ISA riser. I cannot use a diagnostic card due to missing riser.

Any tips for trouble shooting?!
Could the CPU be fried from being inserted (and turned on) in the wrong orientation? I did not, but maybe someone before me.

I started working out the pinout of the ISA riser socket which is a bit weird, but I think I will manage. Then I could cobble together something from one 16Bit ISA slot and pin headers. Then I would be able to use a diagnostic card.

Any help is more than welcome since I would love to get this weird thing working!

Thank,
Nils

PS I managed to read out the BIOS. Am I allowed to upload the files here?!

Attachments

• 20230710_100304.jpg
    Filename
    20230710_100304.jpg
    File size
    559.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 20230710_100327.jpg
    Filename
    20230710_100327.jpg
    File size
    476.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20230710_100409.jpg
    Filename
    20230710_100409.jpg
    File size
    461.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20230710_100420.jpg
    Filename
    20230710_100420.jpg
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20230710_100400.jpg
    Filename
    20230710_100400.jpg
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 2, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi
Any chance to get some additional information about the actual PC it came from. You would be able to extend your seach for information as well as for parts. Chances are, you save more money by looking out for a (probably also faulty) complete system, instead of looking for overpriced individual parts. As a start, I would assume the board works (why shouldnt it). But once you get the correct raiser, you then start looking for a graphics card and controler card and so on. It could get very expensive. Cheers!

Reply 2 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh wow, that is one crazy riser setup. Never seen one quite like it on a 286. Yes you can upload the BIOS here, just make sure you .zip it first 😀 and attach like the pictures....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun