VOGONS

First post, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

My P/I-P55T2P4 has a dead RTC.
It’s a ODIN OEC12B887A.

After hours of de-soldering I finally managed to remove it.
I had ordered a necroware nwX287 on eBay, but just saw I ordered the one with bq4285S so it’s the wrong one 😒

I’ve now ordered one with bq3287 instead which according to what I’ve read should be the correct one.

BUT

The the PINs on my original ODIN doesn’t seem to be the same as the necroware bq3287 model according to necroware GitHub: https://github.com/necroware/nwX287

Perhaps that is not an issue and I should solder all of the pins that the nwX287 has.
Is that correct?

I’ve added some pictures of the ODIN, PIN number one is the top right one on the last picture. So 2,3,16,20,22 is “removed”. This doesn’t match up with the necroware which states the following pins should not be used: 2,3,16,20,21,22.

Should i simply go with what the necroware GitHub states and don’t use PIN 21?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 12, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm newbie like you, so I don't have answers to any of your questions. What I do happen to have is the exact same motherboard with a dead RTC and a necroware replacement that I haven't got around to doing yet. So, I'll just do it.

Mine has a Dallas DS12B887:

IMG_6133.jpeg
Filename
IMG_6133.jpeg
File size
1.91 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I've learned this lesson the hard way, so booting it up first to make sure it works:

IMG_6136.jpeg
Filename
IMG_6136.jpeg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

All good. 👍 Can see the (blurry) CMOS battery failed error.

All right, what do we got:

IMG_6137.jpeg
Filename
IMG_6137.jpeg
File size
764.38 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_6138.jpeg
Filename
IMG_6138.jpeg
File size
594.88 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Looks good to me!

IMG_6141.jpeg
Filename
IMG_6141.jpeg
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This is mine third time soldering anything, so I'd say it's a pretty good little job for a newbie. Btw since you're worried about pins, you should know that I put a socket into the motherboard first, and I certainly didn't snip any pins on it.

Reply 3 of 12, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nizce wrote on 2023-10-30, 21:43:

I’ve added some pictures of the ODIN, PIN number one is the top right one on the last picture. So 2,3,16,20,22 is “removed”. This doesn’t match up with the necroware which states the following pins should not be used: 2,3,16,20,21,22.

It should be fine.
Pin 21 is the RCLR# pin, used to wipe the CMOS info stored in the chip. On motherboards that supported this function there is a CLEAR CMOS jumper that connects this pin to ground. But gradually it stopped being supported and the DS12887A got rid of the pin.
All it means is that the CLEAR CMOS jumper on your board (if it has one) won't work with the necroware chip, but otherwise it will function the same as the ODIN.

(Are ODIN chips even sealed with epoxy? I know some of the other non-Dallas RTCs you can just pop the cover off and get access to the battery sitting on top of the DS12885...)

Last edited by jmarsh on 2023-10-31, 03:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 12, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2023-10-31, 02:26:

Good work! SMD soldering of any kind can be challenging to newcomers.

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that I assembled the necroware RTC. 😓 That, I bought pre-built off eBay, much like I imagine the OP has.

No, the only soldering I did was just getting things in and out of the motherboard. I haven't even considered tackling any SMD stuff yet - though it's needed for so many of the cool projects out there, even the smallest ones like this here. Actually , this would a good one to start with... 🤔

Reply 5 of 12, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2023-10-31, 03:16:
It should be fine. Pin 21 is the RCLR# pin, used to wipe the CMOS info stored in the chip. On motherboards that supported this f […]
Show full quote
nizce wrote on 2023-10-30, 21:43:

It should be fine.
Pin 21 is the RCLR# pin, used to wipe the CMOS info stored in the chip. On motherboards that supported this function there is a CLEAR CMOS jumper that connects this pin to ground. But gradually it stopped being supported and the DS12887A got rid of the pin.
All it means is that the CLEAR CMOS jumper on your board (if it has one) won't work with the necroware chip, but otherwise it will function the same as the ODIN.

(Are ODIN chips even sealed with epoxy? I know some of the other non-Dallas RTCs you can just pop the cover off and get access to the battery sitting on top of the DS12885...)

Sorry for late reply!
Thanks, then it should work 😀
I haven't tried to open the ODIN but I will, I just took for granted that it was sealed with epoxy 😁

I'll report back how it goes when it arrives hopefully next week 😀

Reply 6 of 12, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ubiq wrote on 2023-10-31, 03:17:

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that I assembled the necroware RTC. 😓 That, I bought pre-built off eBay, much like I imagine the OP has.

No, the only soldering I did was just getting things in and out of the motherboard. I haven't even considered tackling any SMD stuff yet - though it's needed for so many of the cool projects out there, even the smallest ones like this here. Actually , this would a good one to start with... 🤔

Look into the MHP30 mini hotplate, it's quite nice but really small. Can recommend it for small projects.
Have used it to assemble an expansion board called A314(the clockport variant) for my Amiga 1200 with alla SMD components.
Bought it after soldering one manually, it took a lot time to do it manually and a lot of bridges took some time to tidy up, but it was fun.

Using the hotplate sure went faster, but it was still a learning curve, used waaaay to much soldering paste the first time 😁
Still got bridges that had to be solved with a soldering iron, but at it saved a lot of time compared to manual soldering, and it's quite soothing to see all the components just "snap" into place when the paste melts 😀

But I'm quite new to this, so I guess someone who is experienced with a soldering iron will be faster than using a hotplate.

Last edited by nizce on 2023-11-02, 22:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 12, by overdrive333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mine p55t2p4. 32,768hz quartz + 30yr battery from famicom cartridge (its still 3v+).
sometimes everything can be done with improvised means and without waiting for deliveries)

Attachments

• 2023-11-03 04.17.40.jpg
    Filename
    2023-11-03 04.17.40.jpg
    File size
    168.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 2023-11-03 04.18.08.jpg
    Filename
    2023-11-03 04.18.08.jpg
    File size
    223.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2023-11-03 04.17.49.jpg
    Filename
    2023-11-03 04.17.49.jpg
    File size
    196.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2023-11-03 04.18.00.jpg
    Filename
    2023-11-03 04.18.00.jpg
    File size
    135.48 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 12, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nizce wrote on 2023-11-02, 22:19:
Look into the MHP30 mini hotplate, it's quite nice but really small. Can recommend it for small projects. Have used it to assemb […]
Show full quote
ubiq wrote on 2023-10-31, 03:17:

Look into the MHP30 mini hotplate, it's quite nice but really small. Can recommend it for small projects.
Have used it to assemble an expansion board called A314(the clockport variant) for my Amiga 1200 with alla SMD components.
Bought it after soldering one manually, it took a lot time to do it manually and a lot of bridges took some time to tidy up, but it was fun.

Using the hotplate sure went faster, but it was still a learning curve, used waaaay to much soldering paste the first time 😁
Still got bridges that had to be solved with a soldering iron, but at it saved a lot of time compared to manual soldering, and it's quite soothing to see all the components just "snap" into place when the paste melts 😀

But I'm quite new to this, so I guess someone who is experienced with a soldering iron will be faster than using a hotplate.

Thanks for this - no idea such a thing even existed. I'll probably stick with simple through-hole stuff for now but yeah... I'm eager to level up!

Reply 9 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaking of improv, I made a CR2032 holder out of the top of a water bottle and a drawing pin. cut the screw part off the bottle, put the drawing pin through the cap, tacked a wire on the pin of the drawing pin, trapped a wire under the screw "sleeve" I cut off the top of the bottle, and trapped the CR2032 against the drawing pin on the cap with it. Need a small diameter bottle neck though, regular soda/pop bottle size is a tad too large.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
overdrive333 wrote on 2023-11-02, 22:20:

mine p55t2p4. 32,768hz quartz + 30yr battery from famicom cartridge (its still 3v+).
sometimes everything can be done with improvised means and without waiting for deliveries)

Nice work ! Looks very good ! I have modded a few RTC Dallas and Benchmark too and once you do one, it is easier than some may think.
Only quirk seen is sometimes if you need the Xtal, getting the proper one can be tricky (there are diff pF capacitor loading factors which could come into play)
Good job !!

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 12, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the other photos, you probably could have traced the battery supply pins back to diodes and used the existing battery location on the board rather than bending the chip's pins up.
(Often there's a blank spot on motherboards for a crystal connected to pins 2+3 too.)

Reply 12 of 12, by overdrive333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2023-11-03, 07:00:

From the other photos, you probably could have traced the battery supply pins back to diodes and used the existing battery location on the board rather than bending the chip's pins up.
(Often there's a blank spot on motherboards for a crystal connected to pins 2+3 too.

There are no battery or crystal place on p55t2p4. It was designed to use all-in-one dallas 12887 (hate it)