VOGONS

First post, by GianDO76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have an Abit IP35. This motherboard supports two floppy drives which I have installed and detected on Windows. Floppy drive A works normally, while if I insert a floppy disk into floppy drive B and try to read it, Windows shows me a popup "insert a floppy into drive B", but the floppy is present and the LED on the drive does not light up . With the floppy drive there are no problems because if I put B in place of A and A in place of B I have the same problem, that is, floppy B which was previously A has the same problem as floppy A when it was B. I would like to understand how to solve it. Has anyone used a floppy drive with this motherboard?

Thank you
G

Reply 1 of 4, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First, the drive A should be at the end of the floppy cable (after twist) and B at the middle. With a normal twisted cable both drives should be configured as drive B (this should be something like DS1, DS2 etc., depends on the drive) amd which should be the default from factory except perhaps for some ancient drives which were installed before twisted cable became common. Twist at the end of cable forces that drive to function as drive A.

My bet is that one of your drives is jumpered wrong. There also might be an issue with the cable. Have you tried another cable?

Reply 2 of 4, by GianDO76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CharlieFoxtrot wrote on 2023-11-02, 11:04:

First, the drive A should be at the end of the floppy cable (after twist) and B at the middle. With a normal twisted cable both drives should be configured as drive B (this should be something like DS1, DS2 etc., depends on the drive) amd which should be the default from factory except perhaps for some ancient drives which were installed before twisted cable became common. Twist at the end of cable forces that drive to function as drive A.

My bet is that one of your drives is jumpered wrong. There also might be an issue with the cable. Have you tried another cable?

I think I connected the floppy drives correctly. You can check the attached photo. With another cable the problem is the same.

FloppyConnection.jpg
Filename
FloppyConnection.jpg
File size
315.75 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 4, by GianDO76

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CharlieFoxtrot wrote on 2023-11-02, 14:01:

And you have configured both A and B drives in the BIOS correctly (usually in the Standard CMOS features tab or equivalent)?

Yes, they are configured correctly in the bios

BIOS_FloppySetting.jpg
Filename
BIOS_FloppySetting.jpg
File size
110.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain