VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am trying to install drivers for my onboard Ethernet controller for my nForce 430 chipset. There are drivers for this in NVIDIA's version 4.27 driver set, and the card is detected, but it does not work and has a yellow exclamation mark on it in Device Manager, deposite not showing any problems in the properties dialog.

Has anyone had any success in getting this Ethernet controller working with Windows 98?

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which motherboard ? I have a few Asrock Penryn1600 (650i+430) that network never worked well with Win9x, no problem with XP. They also have USB issues over time but that is a diff issue 😀
added: Think it because they are early "phys" based and not complete separate controllers. Am sure someone can add to that...
added: forgot to mention there were no default 9x drivers for my board which made tracking dowe stuff hard....none worked.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a Dell Inspiron 531. The BIOS hard codes the integrated NIC to IRQ 5. All add-on cards use other, higher IRQs, which conflict with other devices. IRQ steering is broken, so I need to keep each device on its own interrupt.