VOGONS

First post, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, almost all of my optical drives at this point were refusing to eject. Some would eject properly if there was a disk inside. Only one Sony CD-RW was fine and a Compaq slot-driven 24x CD-ROM from the Deskpro 2000 that people claim has a 100% failure rate.

Every failed optical drive had the wheel-rubber belt system. The two that didn't fail, didn't. So it was a given that the point of failure was the wheels and rubber belt.

There were several suggestions out there - some claiming that cleaning the drive helps, some claiming that the rubber belt has become loose and boiling it will shrink it to its original size.

Having no success with either method, I concluded there was a systematic failure at work here: the wheels and the rubber wheel didn't get enough traction maybe because they had gathered gunk or the belt had become loose over time, and the trays were adding too much traction especially when closed.

What comes next, if you repeat it, it's at your own risk.

With the drives attached to a computer and the computer on, I used a pin to open the tray. Then I sprayed the wheels and belt with a little 99% isopropyl alcohol because I needed the wheels to be lubricated for what was coming next. Then I dipped a q-tip in alcohol and placed it so it touched both the motor's smaller wheel and the rubber belt. I pushed the tray in a little to trigger the motor. It started to spin and cleaned itself. I dipped a second q-tip in alcohol and placed it on the bigger wheel, so it would also touch the belt. Then I manually pushed the tray in and out as much as I could while holding the q-tip steady, so the gunk on both the wheel and the belt would rub on the q-tip. And I also slightly lubricated the rails of the tray.

Here are my results.

Sony SATA DVD-RW - success
Lite-On IDE DVD-ROM - failure, but this drive seems to have more problems as it doesn't even read disks.
Nec IDE CD-RW - success
Sony IDE CD-RW - failure, even though it worked for a while, returned to the original problem in a few minutes. Might try again
MSI IDE CD-RW - yet to fix
another Sony SATA DVD-RW - yet to fix
Samsung IDE CD-ROM - seems like a partial success - a different issue the drive has suggests the eject button might be faulty, because the drive keeps ejecting at random.

No drives were damaged in the process, but that might just be my luck.

Compaq Deskpro 2000/P2 300MHz/384Mb SDRAM/ESS ES1868F/Aureal Vortex 2
Asus A7N8X-VM400/AMD Athlon XP 2ooo+/512Mb DDR DRAM/GeForce 4 MX440/Creative Audigy 2
Asus P5Q Pro/Core2 Quad Q9400/2Gb DDR2/GeForce 8800GT/Creative X-Fi

Reply 2 of 11, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
giantclam wrote on 2023-11-04, 07:36:
I just buy/use cassette & tape machine replacement belt kits, there's usually 10 or so the right size for CD/DVD players =) […]
Show full quote

I just buy/use cassette & tape machine replacement belt kits, there's usually 10 or so the right size for CD/DVD players =)

T7jyAp6.png

For the two drives that didn't get fixed, I will. But for the rest, the belt wasn't the problem, gunk on the wheels and the belt was.

Asus A7N8X-VM400/AMD Athlon XP 2ooo+/512Mb DDR DRAM/GeForce 4 MX440/Creative Audigy 2

Reply 3 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

non alcohol proof rubber + alcohol = swelling making it even worse 😀
universal belt sets are plentiful and cheap ($3)

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah alcohoI and rubber can be a bad mixture, will become brittle fairly quick in time afaik. just looked on ebay and 100 or 150 belt sets for less than a non-working/untested cdrom 🤣

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 11, by songoffall

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-11-04, 21:50:

non alcohol proof rubber + alcohol = swelling making it even worse 😀
universal belt sets are plentiful and cheap ($3)

it's not about the price, it's about having to wait about a month for them to get here. Also, it's not just the belts, it's also the wheels.

The drives are doing fine btw.

Reply 6 of 11, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a YouTube channel (NorCal715) that cleans belts and pulleys with acetone. I haven't tried that or boiling belts. I have some drives with the same problem, but they also fail to read discs (one is intermittent, and one reads exactly two discs that I have - any other disc completely hangs the system).

I wonder if the tray rails also need greased, at least on the drive that only reads two discs. It feels a little sticky. I think it's usually white lithium grease, but I've seen someone use silicone grease (meant for plumbing fixtures) on a floppy drive. There's also some green grease that Samsung used in their VCRs, and I don't know what that is.

Reply 7 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lti wrote on 2023-11-05, 22:23:

I haven't tried that or boiling belts.

Boiling, by chucking carburetor parts into ultrasonic cleaner without removing rubber gaskets results in swelling - rubber gets bigger and doesnt fit anymore.
Rubber is perishable, no point trying to reanimate when universal set is $3.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 11, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a bunch of broken optical drives that I have put off dealing with. Sluggish or non-opening drives are pretty much all due to bad belts eh? I've opened a couple up but without really knowing what I was doing I didn't accomplish much. Well, other than discovering a Reggae Hits CD that had gotten stuck under the tray of one "working" ebay drive. Still doesn't work. 👍

Reply 9 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A different but applicable thought: Old belt drive turntables. They use a belt but larger and flat, not like an O ring, but more like a large black rubber band. When they stretch there is nothing good you can do but replace, if not the belt will slowly dissolve to some black goop that then must be cleaned up from platter and spindle before replacing. Same can happen to a cdrom belt for a tray. so if you do have a fix with some chemical it will be short lived...just an observation based on nearly ruining a Kenwood KD-2055 because I thought some chem treatment would be ok, and it worth way more than these cdroms. just rambling....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 11, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lti wrote on 2023-11-05, 22:23:

There's a YouTube channel (NorCal715) that cleans belts and pulleys with acetone. I haven't tried that or boiling belts. I have some drives with the same problem, but they also fail to read discs (one is intermittent, and one reads exactly two discs that I have - any other disc completely hangs the system).

I wonder if the tray rails also need greased, at least on the drive that only reads two discs. It feels a little sticky. I think it's usually white lithium grease, but I've seen someone use silicone grease (meant for plumbing fixtures) on a floppy drive. There's also some green grease that Samsung used in their VCRs, and I don't know what that is.

Acetone is definitely not good for rubber. Generally it kinda half melts it. Maybe it makes it sticky and grabby again? Not what I'd use, anyway. As far as grease, white lithium grease is good for metal, but not plastic or rubber. It's petroleum based. Silicone or urea-based grease for rubber and plastic. (Be careful, cheaper silicone grease is also petroleum based and not pure silicone)

Reply 11 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I volunteer at a repair cafe, and after clogged vacuum cleaners and electric cooking devices with blown thermal fuses, cassette and CD/DVD drives with dud belts are commonest things brought in for repair. It's the rubber disintegrating, replace them and all is well. Messing around with liquids is a temporary kludge at best, at worst risks clogging up bits that still do work.