VOGONS

New AT cases

Topic actions

First post, by thisIsLoneWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Does anyone know of any manufacturers still producing new AT cases?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 16, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember a company that made AT style cases for Amiga. Search for it on Google.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 16, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm unaware of any company making those now - your best bet is to find some new old stock. There was a company in Oakland, CA that was selling new old stock AT cases pretty recently, but I wasn't able to find them on Ebay just now, so my assumption would be that they sold out. NOS AT cases will likely continue to appear on Ebay from time to time, but the prices are going to be high.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 16, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dominusprog wrote on 2023-11-05, 12:34:

I remember a company that made AT style cases for Amiga. Search for it on Google.

That would be Checkmate: https://www.checkmate1500plus.com/

Their PC cases are advertised as Mini/Micro ATX though, not AT.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might have found something for the Aussies, hard to tell if the site died 10 years ago or is still active..
http://www.micronica.com.au/catalog/cases/computer.htm

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 16, by thisIsLoneWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-11-05, 16:36:

Might have found something for the Aussies, hard to tell if the site died 10 years ago or is still active..

Thanks BitWrangler. Nice find. I'll have to check on shipping costs from Australia, but it's a good start.

I'll keep checking Ebay as well.

Too bad there's no one out there (that I'm aware of) doing what Checkmate is doing for the AT form factor.

Reply 6 of 16, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-11-05, 16:36:

That's some good digging! A couple of us on OCAU have bought from there for new builds. The range is sadly nothing like what's pictured any more, in fact last time I spoke to the guy it seemed like he was down to a few scraps of actually-slightly-used models. Deals were done via lengthy phone calls. His in-house email filtering would not let my gmail through. The man is an old school character.

@OP you could also look at industrial options. AT cases were still being made until relatively recently, although mostly seem phased out now. There still may be stock kicking around. For example, search AT chassis here: https://www.icp-deutschland.de

Reply 9 of 16, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-11-05, 14:03:

I'm unaware of any company making those now - your best bet is to find some new old stock. There was a company in Oakland, CA that was selling new old stock AT cases pretty recently, but I wasn't able to find them on Ebay just now, so my assumption would be that they sold out. NOS AT cases will likely continue to appear on Ebay from time to time, but the prices are going to be high.

I bought a couple of those and they all came busted up. They were super crappy cases with thin plastic bezels and on top of that the plastic had turned very brittle. The guy was also a major jerk to deal with about it.

Reply 10 of 16, by thisIsLoneWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2023-11-06, 03:39:

I bought a couple of those and they all came busted up. They were super crappy cases with thin plastic bezels and on top of that the plastic had turned very brittle. The guy was also a major jerk to deal with about it.

I guess I'll have to see what I can find out there and hope for the best. Not the ideal scenario I was hoping for.

Reply 13 of 16, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had some success putting Baby AT boards in mATX cases. This limits you to the bottom 4-5 slots but that should be enough for most retro computing purposes. Unless your AT board has an AGP slot in which case... that's weird. Good weird, mind you.

Reply 14 of 16, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thisIsLoneWolf wrote on 2023-11-06, 23:39:

Is there anyone here who had good results painting their old beige case?

I have a case thats scraped up and I bought the paint, I just lack the time and the courage to make it happen.

Reply 15 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thisIsLoneWolf wrote on 2023-11-06, 23:39:

Is there anyone here who had good results painting their old beige case?

I'll let you know in a couple of years when I get round to sorting these guys out 🤣 ... (A shed caved in on them 🙁 )

download/file.php?id=175515

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 16 of 16, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thisIsLoneWolf wrote on 2023-11-05, 22:29:
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-11-05, 22:25:

Black or beige?

Ultimately I'll take what I can get, but I'd love a black case if possible.

I think you'll have better luck adapting a 2010s non-RGB, black mid/full ATX case (with both sized external drive bays) to hold your AT board than trying to find the rare black AT case. I have used the Thermaltake V3 and Cooler Master Elite 350, both of which are now out of production.

As someone said above, a Baby AT motherboard will usually fit in a mid/full ATX case with at least four screw holes aligning. Some cases have a ledge blocking you from using a full width (like a VLB) board so watch out for that. Only seven slots will be usable, and you can either operate with no I/O shield or a 3D printed one, or a blank one with a keyboard port hole cut in it.

If you are using an ATX power supply with a converter to AT, you can also convert the power switch in an ATX case from momentary to latching.

As someone also said, you can sometimes fit a Baby AT board in a microATX case with only the bottom four slots accessible, so it makes the most sense for an ISA or ISA/VLB system if you can cut down to just four accessible cards. But it requires drilling since the screw holes don't align.