Rank Newbie
Rank

I have recently acquired a dell xps 720 and the specs are as follows:
Core 2 Quad @ 3ghz (QX6850)
2x SLI 8800 GTX
2x2 4GB 800mhz RAM
680i Chipset
Vista 64, XP 32

Notes on the chipset are, when I first got it the north bridge ran very hot and I could not touch it for more than 3 seconds. This seemed to get better on its own without intervention, but next couple of stress tests the south bridge was extremely hot, while north was cool. I put a fan on the south bridge and now both seemingly run cool. Does this indicate a problem in hardware or is this somehow normal? Seems very odd.

Anyway, cranked to very high @ 1280x1024 no AA, I'm using crysis as the benchmark for all of this and I am a little confused about the performance. Overclocking and using an overkill GPU seemingly does absolutely nothing to improve performance. All medium barely increases performance either?! In more intense combat scenarios with lots of ai etc I get around 13-25 fps. To alleviate this I've tried to overclock the CPU in steps up to 4ghz (north bridge still very cold) and I've seen absolutely no increase in anything but cpu temperature. I can hardly even tell a difference between 4ghz OC and my 2.66ghz core 2 duo. I've chucked in a gtx 780 and that helped but very minimally, perhaps 5 frames better in an optimal situation. Hardly anything noticable in gameplay though. I was thinking of getting a pair of 8800 ultras but seeing as 780 doesn't do anything much maybe I should not. Was crysis really "unplayable" maxed out even with the absolute top end hardware available in 2007? I am of course just talking about playable combat when there are multiple enemies and such things, not 60fps smooth sailing.

Another potentially weird thing is that running 32bit crysis seems to help with several frames in certain areas.Also, Windows XP gets maybe 10-20 more frames on average over Vista DX9 which is perfectly playable if it wasnt for the fact that it is much choppier/stuttery.

Is all of this expected behavior? I'm confused about why overclocking doesn't really do anything as well as the temps of my bridges. Would like to be pointed in a direction to troubleshoot, if something here is amiss.

Reply 1 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've benchmarked Crysis with an E8600 and GTX 980 Ti with Windows XP 32-bit. I was getting ~61 FPS in the GPU benchmark and ~59 FPS in the CPU benchmark.

The GPU in this instance is heavily bottlenecked by the rest of the system. In my newer 3770k build and same GPU I get over 100 FPS in each benchmark.

I would expect that a QX6850 and GTX 780 to at least perform comparably. That you're getting such low frame rates suggest something is really wonky.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 7, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Increasing the frequency doesn't always result in a performance boost, for example increasing the frequency of your GPU will not double the memory bus width. Besides, overclocking will cause all sorts of instabilities, especially if you push the processor to its limit.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 3 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need at least GTX 295 for modest performance with all bells and whistles. 8800GTX SLI can run Crysis adequately on High setting with 1280x720 resolution.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 7, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Swishkebab wrote on 2023-11-05, 18:17:

Was crysis really "unplayable" maxed out even with the absolute top end hardware available in 2007?

Crysis came out in late 2007 and was known for years as a demanding, demanding game... and I think it was fairly common in those days to ship games (Doom 3 is another one that comes to mind though that was a couple of years earlier) that couldn't max out all settings at the highest-for-the-time resolutions for another generation or two of GPUs.

Have you tried other games to test your hardware, first? Something from like 2004 like UT2004 should scream on your setup...

Reply 5 of 7, by Swishkebab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-11-05, 18:50:
Swishkebab wrote on 2023-11-05, 18:17:

Was crysis really "unplayable" maxed out even with the absolute top end hardware available in 2007?

Have you tried other games to test your hardware, first? Something from like 2004 like UT2004 should scream on your setup...

Older games seem pretty fine.. F.E.A.R. runs at 80-400fps from my memory. UT 2009 flies. Far Cry 2 has quite high frame rate in XP, but is super stuttery. The benchmark gives great results in fps but it's headache inducing to watch it.

Shponglefan wrote on 2023-11-05, 18:35:

I would expect that a QX6850 and GTX 780 to at least perform comparably. That you're getting such low frame rates suggest something is really wonky.

I'm going to return with some benchmarks. Windows XP runs with way more fps but pretty stuttery like I mentioned. The north bridge temperature difference for seemingly no reason seems so bizarre to me. It feels unnaturally cold, like it's not performing at its peak?

dominusprog wrote on 2023-11-05, 18:40:

Increasing the frequency doesn't always result in a performance boost, for example increasing the frequency of your GPU will not double the memory bus width. Besides, overclocking will cause all sorts of instabilities, especially if you push the processor to its limit.

Didn't notice any instability. Just thought it was weird 2.66>4ghz performed essentially the same.

Reply 6 of 7, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those Nvidia chipsets ran pretty hot (some motherboards had a 50-60mm fan on the northbridge and a heatpipe to the southbridge). If they're suddenly cold, make sure the heatsinks are still tightly mounted onto the chips. I don't know how this hardware handles overheating.

Also, those chips might be affected by bumpgate (it's the right era - the 8800 cards are definitely affected), but that would result in a dead board, not poor performance. If they're flawed chips, keeping them cool will delay their failure.

Reply 7 of 7, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my testing Crysis doesn't really benefit from SLI. It prefers a single card with more RAM. Like mentioned above, a GTX 295 is a good card choice. For AMD fans, my R9 270X 2GB will play Crysis 1.2.1 under XP @ 1080P High with an average around 65 FPS. With a fast dual core.