VOGONS

First post, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying to find a use for an old Apple Time Capsule I got my hands on. As they only support SMB1 I thought it might make a decent network share for Windows 9x clients, but I've struggled a bit with getting clients to connect. Anybody have suggestions? Or am I just really bad at networking?

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you've got a windows client with iTunes or quicktime installed try that, it might use that apple network service for auth or something that gets installed with those. So if that works, that's probably what it is... is it "Hello" or is that the windows one?? IDK only got the vague shape of what I mean.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe you're thinking of Bonjour? I don't think there's any version for pre-XP windows unfortunately.

From what I've been reading, while Macs would generally use AFP for connections, the Time Capsules supported SMBv1/CIFS and NTLM for connections from Windows (a lot of what I can find is actually people complaining that they had to re-enable SMB1 on modern Windows to connect to it's share) - which should be supported from basically any old version of Windows with an SMB client.

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's possible that it doesn't support ntlmv1 so you may need to figure out a way to enable that on the time capsule or enable ntlmv2 on the 9x machines. (Just a software install and a registry change)
Beware the SMB1 police will likely show up soon. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll have to play around with that - I realize that SMBv1 is hopelessly insecure and I'm really only planning to use it as data storage for the separate network segment I use for my retro machines.

edit: to be honest that's the main reason I'm not planning to use it in my main network, because I don't want to enable SMBv1 on my modern machines.