VOGONS

First post, by wutang61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve been fighting a battle with this system for weeks now . Looking like it’s hanging on 3733 via a four digit post card.

Please Someone point me in the right direction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.56 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    POST card
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is this: https://uxd.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360 … OST-Error-Codes
but is lacking some....will dig around a bit after a family outing....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The thing about post card codes these days is... that a post code is only 8 bits, and the cards display the last & previous code.
So it hangs on 37 with the previous code being 33.

now what that code means depends on the brand of the bios, but in general can be found somewhere on the internet, like http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/amibios.htm

37 Power-on message display

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 9, by wutang61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-11-05, 20:23:

There is this: https://uxd.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360 … OST-Error-Codes
but is lacking some....will dig around a bit after a family outing....

I appreciate that. Swapping to a quadro 3000 resulted in a 3837 stop along with a brief bios video signal. USB initialized and hung. Reboot sent me back to 3733 on the quadro and 5900U. No video out for ether after that.

Reply 4 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK found some stuff on Intel and AMI (the Intel D875PBZ does use an Intel branded/modded AMI bios) and it all points to Chipset/Video initalization. Do you get any beeps out of the speaker ?
I suspect something wrong with the AGP slot so I would: reset/clear CMOS, try a low level PCI video card (S3 Trio maybe) and see if it boots ok. Then try the 5900u again.
Maybe the 3000 did something to the AGP bus, the PCI is working or you get get blank off the Diag card.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 9, by wutang61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay. So I have a very strange situation here. After changing absolutely everything. And I mean everything. Motherboard,cpu,memory,gpu. Swapping things back and forth beating my head on the wall.

I have HALFWAY figured out the problem. If I have something plugged into the DVI port. The System will not post. This problem moved across motherboards and 2 separate graphics cards. How that is possible I have no idea.

Now, I will add, the second GPU DID work until the system began loading windows….

The system will hang on 3733 if anything is in that port. Unplug, will post successfully and you can plug the monitor back in and eventually video signal will show up once it hits the desktop.

What I do not understand, is where this problem came from. Or how it’s moving from board to board and hardware to hardware. The issue began when I attempted to boot into DOS mode weeks ago. I lost video out and the no posting began.

I now have 2 separate GPU’s that flat out refuse to tolerate outputting DVI. I installed windows with DVI and setup the bios with DVI before my DOS mishap.

Absolutely never had this problem beforehand and I am at a flat out loss what could be causing this.

I don’t have a VGA cable handy to see if anything at all is being output that’s a problem I will have to solve tomorrow.

I was able to delete the VGA drivers but the system hung on reboot, so did the run around with pulling cables to post and then stare at black screen until DVI desides to work after the windows 98 theme plays on the welcome screen. Same result with standard VGA drivers.

Why all of a sudden the BIOS will not display let alone post with DVI-HDMI is baffling.

Reply 6 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahh ok. Glad your board is ok. Sounds like a HDCP issue, depending on what monitor or TV you have it plugged into if using DVI to HDMI and something interfers with the HDCP connection signaling then it halts the video connection and if the BIOS requires a completed signal exchange and it does not happen then the board will not POST. Usually the board will boot but you get a black screen if the connection is invalid or monitor/tv in not turned on (or in sleep mode) first.
I output one computer to my little 1080p tv thru a DVI-HDMI cable and as long as the TV is turned on before I turn on the computer it works fine.
Not sure why things changed with yours if you been doing it a certain way but maybe because you changed vid cards it thru off the HDCP signaling when the drivers had to adjust to the new vid card.... nevermind driver should not matter since the HDCP stuff is hardware based AFAIK.
Maybe the cable has failed? Can you try a different one ? ok just a thought and rambling.

Reply 7 of 9, by wutang61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-11-06, 01:04:

Ahh ok. Glad your board is ok. Sounds like a HDCP issue, depending on what monitor or TV you have it plugged into if using DVI to HDMI and something interfers with the HDCP connection signaling then it halts the video connection and if the BIOS requires a completed signal exchange and it does not happen then the board will not POST. Usually the board will boot but you get a black screen if the connection is invalid or monitor/tv in not turned on (or in sleep mode) first.
I output one computer to my little 1080p tv thru a DVI-HDMI cable and as long as the TV is turned on before I turn on the computer it works fine.
Not sure why things changed with yours if you been doing it a certain way but maybe because you changed vid cards it thru off the HDCP signaling when the drivers had to adjust to the new vid card.... just a thought and rambling.

Absolutely fantastic. I never would have thought of HDCP causing all of these problems. I looked into my monitors settings and somehow someway HDMI 2.0 was set. Restoring this to HDMI 1.4 has solved the problems completely!

I am glad my board works as well! Although now I have extras! I guess it’s always good to have a backup (or two)

Thank you thank you thank you!

I must admit I feel a little stupid. But that’s how we learn is it not?

Reply 8 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great you got it working ! Glad you checked the monitor settings, I will try to remember that but am sure you will 😁
We all keep learning or re-learning things as we get old, I am constantly being re-edercated ;p

Reply 9 of 9, by wutang61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-11-06, 01:46:

Great you got it working ! Glad you checked the monitor settings, I will try to remember that but am sure you will 😁
We all keep learning or re-learning things as we get old, I am constantly being re-edercated ;p

I intentionally set it originally to 1.4 for this exact reason. Never dawned on me that it would result in a no post. Or that it would magically change itself. Maybe a power failure?

So much for HDCP 2.2 being backwards compatible?

Needless to say I have lots of extra parts for this Rig now! 🤣

You are never to old to learn!