VOGONS

First post, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I have SiS Mirage (Real256E) integrated graphics and for some reason the image is different than on my Leadtek GeForce FX 5600 and I find the image on SIS more attractive. On SIS the image is a little warmer as if some kind of retro filter has been applied, because of this the text and icons are slightly blurred and this gives a kind of "retro" vibe. At that time, on GeForce the image is raw and very sharp in a bad way and I also see some white lines or pixels around the letters, they are less noticeable on SIS, but on 5600 it looks awful and hurt my eyes . It's hard to show through a photo but maybe you can see it. This is most noticeable in "File", "Edit" and "Address" and on the "Accessibility Options" icon, there are some blur. Both were connected using a VGA cable to an LCD monitor with a 1024x768 resolution (the native is 1336x768). I used a 45.23 driver. Maybe there are some settings I need to check out? Someone had the same feeling?

5600 0Ir9F0T.jpg

SIS OmGXDua.jpeg

Last edited by ultra on 2023-11-06, 18:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2023-11-06, 14:59:

Do you have a sharpness setting in the nVidia control panel? Or otherwise on the screen? It looks like excessive sharpening.

Yep, but sharpness is set to default (lowest level).

Reply 3 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ultra wrote on 2023-11-06, 14:23:

LCD monitor with a 1024x768 resolution (the native is 1336x768)

Non native on LCD is almost always a disaster. Should be a way to configure custom resolution in driver somewhere, do that

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-11-07, 01:25:

Non native on LCD is almost always a disaster. Should be a way to configure custom resolution in driver somewhere, do that

Agree unless there are also "fallback" res that sometimes are hard to find without checking each, in this case it could be 800x600. Also I find diff GPU have diff sharpness, saturation and other levels as default that are diff than another GPU. (Off topic but really shows when you buy HD TV's of diff brands... as an example)
Sometimes not very noticable between cards but other times it is very noticeable so you have to do some adjusting to fit what "your eye" thinks looks good 😀
I almost never use a an onboard GPU if I can avoid it (unless it something special)... just thinking out loud 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in the day we called blurry output 'crap analog parts and/or scaling' not 'retro vibe' 😉

This sort of output was the main reason I became a huge Matrox fan once I could afford seriously big CRT screens - trying to do serious reading with fuzzy output gave you square eyes. A Matrox G450 could run resolutions like 1600x900 at 100Hz and be crystal clear, the way this sort of output is not.

Just for the record, there's a difference between onboard (dedicated chips and RAM that could have been stuck on an add-in card too) and integrated (controller in some other chip, RAM shared with CPU) VGA and this is definitely integrated, not onboard. Not that that is too relevant when it comes to output like htis.

Reply 6 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The onboard has some impedance matching issues and probably some deficiencies in component matching so the RGB lines are not equal, leading poor color balance and all the artifacts you see. There are ways to improve the situation but it depends a lot on the physical routing and placement of the components on video path and sometimes what is done is a lost cause.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 10, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1024x768 looks fine and crisp on this monitor, just like native, compared to other resolutions. I think the problem is with sharpness and focus. I didn't figured it out yet

Reply 8 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ultra wrote on 2023-11-07, 12:35:

1024x768 looks fine and crisp on this monitor, just like native, compared to other resolutions. I think the problem is with sharpness and focus. I didn't figured it out yet

white lines in letters is a direct result of horizontal scaling, set proper native resolution and issues will disappear.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 9 of 10, by astonsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed a similar thing many years ago. I had a K8S-MX board, and originally used the integrated SiS graphics chip with my CRT monitor. When I upgraded to a Radeon graphics card, the display was much sharper and clearer. I assumed the DAC was better, but had no technical idea why there was a difference.

Reply 10 of 10, by ultra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-11-07, 20:09:
ultra wrote on 2023-11-07, 12:35:

white lines in letters is a direct result of horizontal scaling, set proper native resolution and issues will disappear.

I chose 1360x768 and I see white lines. There is a "Focus" setting in the monitor settings. I noticed that the higher the resolution, the lower the focus. If I increase the focus value, the lines will disappear and the picture will blur a little..