VOGONS

First post, by Ribbicipp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
im new to this forum and created an account just for this issue that has been plaguing me for the past days now. After hours and hours of trying to figure out what im missing or doing wrong, I realized that I need help with this. Please bare with me as I am a noob when it comes to working on old PC parts and old operating systems. I can build a new computer just fine, but quickly realized that finding drivers and getting everything to work properly with old hardware is a nightmare.

I recently purchased a generic (Sintechi?) SD to IDE adapter (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193578823084?hash= … P0AAOSwmlZfEUUF) and a 32GB SD card to go with it, in order to use with my retro builds that i've recently started working on. After watching several videos on YouTube and reading through forums about these adapters I decided to give it a go, since it seemed pretty straight forward getting them to work.

I have two old PCs I dug out from the closet that were my childhood PCs. One "AST Advantage! 623E" (similair model to the one found here: Manual/Info for an AST Advantage! 624) with a Pentium 100mhz + 32mb RAM and a noname mid-tower build with a P3 800mhz and I think a Geforce 4 series card in it.

First i tried getting the old AST computer to run with the SD to IDE adapter, but it didn't even detect the adapter at boot-up. I tried formating and re-formating the SD card in different ways, everything from FAT16 to FAT32, 2GB up to 32GB. I noticed that the BIOS didn't detect any sectors or such, but then again, the computer didn't even detect the adapter at all on boot-up.
I gave up on getting it working and just installed everything on my old HDD instead that came with the PC.

Then i tried again on the P3 800Mhz PC, but with the exact same problem. The PC doesn't even recognize that the adapter is connected. All drives at boot-up just says "None".
The adapter LEDs turns on fine and is visibly powered, but I really don't know what im doing wrong since every single video i've seen on this adapter just makes it seem like it's working straight out of the box.
Philscomputerlab, LGR and many more smaller channels just plug it in and their computers recognize the adapter on boot-up.

Reply 2 of 13, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ribbicipp wrote on 2023-11-06, 18:42:

I have two old PCs I dug out from the closet that were my childhood PCs. One "AST Advantage! 623E" (similair model to the one found here: Manual/Info for an AST Advantage! 624) with a Pentium 100mhz + 32mb RAM and a noname mid-tower build with a P3 800mhz and I think a Geforce 4 series card in it.

First i tried getting the old AST computer to run with the SD to IDE adapter, but it didn't even detect the adapter at boot-up. I tried formating and re-formating the SD card in different ways, everything from FAT16 to FAT32, 2GB up to 32GB. I noticed that the BIOS didn't detect any sectors or such, but then again, the computer didn't even detect the adapter at all on boot-up.
I gave up on getting it working and just installed everything on my old HDD instead that came with the PC.

It could be that the adapter is trying to request LBA mode or ECHS mode that your computer's BIOS can't handle.

Try configuring your BIOS to one of the default drive types to see if it works. If that works, you could look into adding an option rom like XTIDE Universal BIOS or a disk overlay like EZ Drive 9.09 that would correctly autodetect the drive at boot time.

Reply 3 of 13, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2023-11-06, 21:17:
Ribbicipp wrote on 2023-11-06, 18:42:

It could be that the adapter is trying to request LBA mode or ECHS mode that your computer's BIOS can't handle.

Try configuring your BIOS to one of the default drive types to see if it works. If that works, you could look into adding an option rom like XTIDE Universal BIOS or a disk overlay like EZ Drive 9.09 that would correctly autodetect the drive at boot time.

Yep. Whenever I run into this problem it's usually the BIOS at fault, and XT-IDE or drive overlay fixes it.

Reply 5 of 13, by Ribbicipp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ubiq wrote on 2023-11-06, 20:50:

You're not wrong to expect the adapter to work without too much hassle. How confident are you that your IDE cable is good? Is it a 40 or 80 pin cable?

I used the same IDE cable that I used for my HDD and since the HDD booted up no problem im assuming the cable isn't the issue.

Reply 6 of 13, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ribbicipp wrote on 2023-11-07, 14:47:

I used the same IDE cable that I used for my HDD and since the HDD booted up no problem im assuming the cable isn't the issue.

Manually configure your drive to be a 40MB (or whatever) device in your BIOS and then try installing one of these drive overlays. http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=19&menustate=63,61

I'd suggest EZ drive 9.09 for your hardware.

Reply 7 of 13, by Ribbicipp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2023-11-07, 14:51:
Ribbicipp wrote on 2023-11-07, 14:47:

Manually configure your drive to be a 40MB (or whatever) device in your BIOS and then try installing one of these drive overlays. http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=19&menustate=63,61

I'd suggest EZ drive 9.09 for your hardware.

Ok, so I connected the HDD so I could at least boot up the computer, connected the SD to IDE adapter in the second IDE-slot on the motherboard and the computer still doesn't recognize it (no surprise there).
Can I use my primary HDD to install the drive overlay on that or does it need to be installed on the actual SD-card that the computer can't read? Or can I run the software from a floppy at startup? Also, what does this "EZ drive 9.09" software actually do?

Where in the bios can i configure the drive to be 40mb if it can't even find the adapter? In the menu where you change the sectors etc on a drive?

Sorry for the fumbling, but this is clearly beyond my knowledge.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    526.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    1.08 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 13, by Ribbicipp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2023-11-07, 19:16:

My guess is that the Sintechi adapter is defective .

Can you try the Sintechi adapter through a USB to IDE adapter on a modern (or at least newer) PC, as a test ?

Maybe i'll get myself one of those adapters to try it out before returning the device.

Reply 13 of 13, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ribbicipp wrote on 2023-11-07, 18:39:

Where in the bios can i configure the drive to be 40mb if it can't even find the adapter? In the menu where you change the sectors etc on a drive?

Sorry for the fumbling, but this is clearly beyond my knowledge.

Usually you can manually enter the drive parameters if the auto detect doesn't work. I've been soending time with older bios lately, but I noticed that there are triangle to the left of the drive table. Does that mean those sections can be expanded to see additional options?

Is the Sinitechi on its own cable? Some people have reported problems getting a Sinitechi device to autodetect the slave/master situation.