VOGONS

First post, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Just got me 2x Voodoo 2. Powercolor Evilking(I think, they have memory chips(1MB) only on one side and made mid-99)

But now I'm figuring out how to get a good picture quality out of these. I'll probably won't use both in SLI in this build however.
I've read that using a pass-through cable from the 2D card to the Voodoo makes a visible difference in picture quality.
But I've never seen it myself, and of course a print screen won't make much sense 😀

For those of you've who's seen it, what should I do?
Is there much difference between the options?

1. just buy a passthrough cable and be done.
2. plug in the 2D and the V2 to separate inputs to my monitor
3. buy a manual or automatic vga switch box.

I do understand that using a passthrough cable degrades the quality. But since that cable would be VERY short, and option 2 would require 2 much longer cables, I guess in that case perhaps it's the V2 that brings down the quality.

My 2D card will either be a Matrox Mystique(PCI/VGA) or a Radeon 7000(PCI/VGA+DVI).
I'd like to use the Radeon since it gives me the option to use DVI, which would be nice if option 2 or 3 was used.
But I'd mostly use this PC for DOS games and some QuakeGL(windows).

Reply 1 of 11, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've heard that theory about the passthrough reducing the image quality but I never noticed it myself - I'd just get a decent quality passthrough cable and enjoy it all.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 11, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are definitely crap passthrough cables. I have some good ones and some awful ones.

Good resource:
https://www-3dfx-cz.translate.goog/articles/l … =de&_x_tr_hl=de

EDIT: in the image below, the top one is garbage; ghosting and color distortion; I have several of them. The bottom one, fantastic as far as passthrough goes.

Attachments

Last edited by Meatball on 2023-11-06, 23:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just simply buy a quality and short passthrough cable, the image quality degradation is quite exaggerated IMO.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 11, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all!
I think I'll go with a passthrough cable, and gladly skip all the peripheral! 😀

If you have any amazon or eBay link in the EU to known good cables it'd be appreciated.
Found a possible good one in Sweden(where I'm located) for approx. 20EUR, but hoping to pay a bit less... 😀

Reply 5 of 11, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2023-11-06, 22:43:
There are definitely crap passthrough cables. I have some good ones and some awful ones. […]
Show full quote

There are definitely crap passthrough cables. I have some good ones and some awful ones.

Good resource:
https://www-3dfx-cz.translate.goog/articles/l … =de&_x_tr_hl=de

EDIT: in the image below, the top one is garbage; ghosting and color distortion; I have several of them. The bottom one, fantastic as far as passthrough goes.

Thank you,
That was a very interesting link, seems to be a huge difference in cables, even the short once!
Seems to be trail and error these days, hoping to find find a good "generic" one by todays standards.

Reply 6 of 11, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're welcome!

I know you're in the EU, but this seller's cables are fine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/285120286016 I have some of them, also. I have no affiliation and do not profit. This seller even sent me a replacement at no charge when the cable was only late arriving. Great service.

Reply 7 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's interference (moving diagonal wavy lines) and loss from the cable and then there's the intentional feature of the screen filter giving a smudge to everything (intended to smooth dither out). The latter can be disabled with an environment variable (but i'd keep it on because it's a 3dfx-unique characteristic). Having a pair in SLI may also disable the filter.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 11, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You will notice it in Windows at higher resolutions on the desktop, e.g 1024x768 or higher can really show it.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 9 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it's not necessarily the passthrough *cable* that degrades the picture, but the low bandwidth switch chip used in the card

of course the cable can make it worse if it's also shitty

Reply 10 of 11, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-11-07, 14:04:

it's not necessarily the passthrough *cable* that degrades the picture, but the low bandwidth switch chip used in the card

of course the cable can make it worse if it's also shitty

Yep. Haven't tried it myself, but apparently that can sometimes be remedied by simply piggybacking another identical bus switch chip on the original one. Seen examples online where it seems to have resulted in more or less perfect picture quality.

Might be worth a try at least, those chips aren't expensive, and it's easy enough to reverse if it doesn't work in this particular case.

Reply 11 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep in mind that pass through cable does not affect V2 picture quality during 3D output, unless it's broken in some way. For 2D, that cable is absolutely redundant and multiple video inputs or VGA switch are better choices.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.