VOGONS

First post, by PandLantis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I have a small collection of mid to low spec PCI and AGP cards from anywhere between 1994 and 1999. I was doing some research and cataloging my collection; looking at benchmarks and the like when I noticed one of my cards, a Trident TGUI9680-1 PCI was marked as a 'GUI Accelerator' which got stumbling down the following train of thought: Would having a GUI Accelerator and a 3D Accelerator reduce the load on and improve system performance? Searches for Accelerator cards wasn't doing me much good so I wanted to reach out to ya'll and see if there's any tribal knowledge that would tell me if it's a bad or good idea or if it makes any difference whatsoever.

Oh yeah first post, hey!

Project PC specs:
CPU: Slot 1 Katmai Pentium III 450Mhz
Motherboard: Supermicro P6SBS - Intel 440GX
RAM: 512Mb SDR
GPU: Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64
Sound Card: SB CT4830 Live!
NIC: EtherLink XL 3C905B-TX
Drives: Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-RAM
Mitsumi FX120-T CD-ROM
3.5" 1.44Mb Floppy
8GB CF to IDE Adapter

Intel Pentium III Katmai @ 450Mhz | Supermicro P6SBS | 512Mb PC100 SDR | nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 | SBLive! CT4830

Reply 2 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The nVidia TNT2 M64 does support GUI acceleration in Windows. Adding that Trident video card is totally unnecessary as it won't improve the system performance in any way and wastes a PCI slot.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 7, by PandLantis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-11-07, 01:24:

The nVidia TNT2 M64 does support GUI acceleration in Windows. Adding that Trident video card is totally unnecessary as it won't improve the system performance in any way and wastes a PCI slot.

Thanks! I knew there was a need for GUI accelerators with Voodoo cards but glad to know I can safely store the Trident away for some other project.
Cheers!

Intel Pentium III Katmai @ 450Mhz | Supermicro P6SBS | 512Mb PC100 SDR | nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 | SBLive! CT4830

Reply 4 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GUI accelerators help with windows tasks like drawing windows, dragging windows, fonts, bit blitting icons and so on. In a windows environment this speeds up heavy use such as when switching between multiple office apps and doing things in those.

3D accelerators until Vista had nothing to do with GUI tasks, but in their 2D cores had equivalents to the old standalone GUI accelerators.

Neither really help system performance in a general backend sense, especially not in DOS, but 2D acceleration helps presentation layers, 3D accelerations helps games that specifically use it.

There are no stupid questions though, apart maybe from asking "How do you use a PhysX card to make the bananas fly faster in Gorillas.BAS ?"

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty much every single PCI VGA card in existence accelerated 2D and could be called 'GUI Accelerator'. Im trying to come up with one that doesnt do some form of 2D acceleration and Im coming empty. Or course some were better (ATI/Matrox) than others (Trident being the worst one), but by the time 3D acceleration hit the scene in 1997-98 your 3D cards did it better/faster than old timey 2D cards.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I think the boat had set sail a couple of years before PCI even with most cards released since '92 on EISA, MCA and VLB having some form of 2D acceleration, though some would say some were barely accelerated. Not that ISA didn't get in on the act also, but I don't recall many "purely ISA" accelerated chipsets. 8514 was the card that kicked it off I think.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 7, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to take better advantage of the accelerator portion on Win98SE you can change your titlebars to be solid colors, so that Windows can use your accelerator's "fill a rectangle" command rather than calculating and plotting a gradient, and making sure you're using the default mouse cursors and not the color/animated ones so that the "hardware cursor" feature can be used.