Asus A8n-sli premium won't post

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Karbist wrote on 2023-11-14, 10:48:
bassix6 wrote on 2023-11-13, 18:47:

I think this A8N and my other one are busted. Stripped them both completely down and tried two different PSU's, that are known to be working in other builds. The fan of the PSU quickly turns on, but immediately stops. I think I'll have to look for another board for my Athlon 3500+

If you have a multimeter, check the resistance between this inductor and ground:

A8n.jpg

Don't have a multimeter unfortunately. I'll pick one up to see what it says.

Reply 21 of 28, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FinalJenemba wrote on 2023-11-14, 15:45:
darry wrote on 2023-11-14, 09:11:

Wasn't this board somewhat notorious for having the chipset fan die without warning or notice and contributing to the boards eventual death ?

It depends on the board. I have the same board and it’s passively cooled. Some of them did have little fans though, and yes those always die eventually and cause over heating.

My boards also are passively cooled. Specifically chose them as I heard those boards with fans could die. Oh the irony xD

Reply 22 of 28, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-11-14, 15:43:

Maybe it's a failure mode, have had P2B and A7V that did it for sure. If you tested that with the PSU plugged in without draining the caps though, you didn't test it.

I have Asus A7V-E and didn't experience that behaviour.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/asus-a7v-e
But maybe, it's completly different board, and things works different way here.

Reply 23 of 28, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

An update: I tried another PSU and this one works! The fans start spinning (CPU and GPU), but it still doesn't post. I tried two gpu's (Geforce 6800 GT and a low profile Radeon I had laying around) but I don't receive an image from them. Anyone a clue what might be the problem? I didn't plug in the Molex connector near the first PCI Express slot for the video card, as that one is used for SLI - which I don't intend to do. Furthermore I also use a 24-pin ATX connector, so I reckon that should be enough power for the mobo.

Reply 25 of 28, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Karbist wrote on 2023-11-20, 15:56:

Remove everything except the cpu, connect a buzzer/speaker to the speaker headers, you should hear missing ram beeps.
also does the heatsink above the chipset get extremely hot?

No beeps unfortunately. The heatsink above the chipset gets pretty warm though...

Reply 27 of 28, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bassix6 wrote on 2023-11-20, 15:06:

An update: I tried another PSU and this one works! The fans start spinning (CPU and GPU), but it still doesn't post. I tried two gpu's (Geforce 6800 GT and a low profile Radeon I had laying around) but I don't receive an image from them. Anyone a clue what might be the problem? I didn't plug in the Molex connector near the first PCI Express slot for the video card, as that one is used for SLI - which I don't intend to do. Furthermore I also use a 24-pin ATX connector, so I reckon that should be enough power for the mobo.

What was the Power Supply? The first ones (that turned off), and this one, that didn't turn off?

You don't have termovision camera? I mean to turn on the board, and carefully diagnose, if anything on board going above temperature 80 oC too fast.
I saw on youtube repairing videos, where the chips, or even small components, getting incredible hot (80,90,100 oC in 10-20 seconds, and still raising) after board is turning on, and that's how they've found problematic part. It was replaced, sometimes it was only problem (board worked), sometimes, it continue malfuncioning, but it was for sure another problem, and one was solved, that would causing failure anyway, so at least progress.

Reply 28 of 28, by dragonkn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a little bit too optimistic, I guess, because likely damage is on the motherboard site
But maybe it's worth a try to install a new cpu? If somehow cpu is broken, there will be exactly the same symptoms