User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2023-11-11, 00:57:
I agree. […]
Show full quote
Horun wrote on 2023-11-10, 04:16:

CDRW media is a bit diff than CDR media and compatibility is very dependent on the media material and dye color versus laser setup in the drives. I like darry's research as at least said something where many of us found out thru experimentation and forums. I still do not use CDRW media because it is just not worth it... imho.

Per "Can a 4x CD-Writer write on 12X CD-RW" I should have added long ago that not all CD burners can write to CDRW media, you got to check the specs 😀
added: to test my CR burners I just burn a cdr blank and see if it works, who really cares if it writes cdrw blanks? sorta like testing the light scribe function, is only one aspect of a good drive that is rarely if ever used anymore 😁

I agree.

TBH, I don't care at all about a vintage optical drive's ability to write anything, except maybe old(er) media for which newer writers might not have an optimal write strategy.

My main use case for writing CDRW is not wasting CDR media and I have plenty of modernish writers that handle at least 12x write speeds on still readily available CDRW media.
I don't see the point in writing CDRW discs at 1x-4x speeds. Life is too short.

My 2 cents worth of an opinion .

Sort of like writing a DVD at 4x 😁 Ohh maybe I can do some laundry and cook dinner and then see if it's done yet ? ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 21 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2023-11-11, 03:25:
I agree. […]
Show full quote

CDRW media is a bit diff than CDR media and compatibility is very dependent on the media material and dye color versus laser setup in the drives. I like darry's research as at least said something where many of us found out thru experimentation and forums. I still do not use CDRW media because it is just not worth it... imho.

Per "Can a 4x CD-Writer write on 12X CD-RW" I should have added long ago that not all CD burners can write to CDRW media, you got to check the specs 😀
added: to test my CR burners I just burn a cdr blank and see if it works, who really cares if it writes cdrw blanks? sorta like testing the light scribe function, is only one aspect of a good drive that is rarely if ever used anymore 😁

I agree.

TBH, I don't care at all about a vintage optical drive's ability to write anything, except maybe old(er) media for which newer writers might not have an optimal write strategy.

My main use case for writing CDRW is not wasting CDR media and I have plenty of modernish writers that handle at least 12x write speeds on still readily available CDRW media.

Sort of like writing a DVD at 4x 😁 Ohh maybe I can do some laundry and cook dinner and then see if it's done yet ? ;p

That 15 minutes was an eternity .

I still have some Princo disks from back then and, surprisingly, at least some of them are still perfectly readable.

Reply 22 of 26, by Lutsoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My knowledge of optical drives is quite limited but I want to test if my drives are fully functional or not. I have a bunch of combo drives that have either the CD or the DVD part broken so I'm trying to test each section separately.
Example:
My LG GCE-8525B 52x32x52 can easily read a CD-R media but can't write to any of them.
Same with the Sony DW-Q28A combo CD/DVD drive, it can read any CD/DVD and it can write to a CD-R but the DVD writing portion has failed.
That's it. I don't want to use the drives, just confirm if they work or not. The only way to do that is to throw a bunch of different discs at them and see if they can read/write them.
I'm wondering, if my combo drive can successfully write to a CD-R media does that at least indicate that it could successfully write to a suitable CD-RW disc as well? Are they using the same laser for CD-R and CD-RW?

Reply 23 of 26, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
I agree. […]
Show full quote

I agree.

Lifes never to short to enjoy yourself buddy.

This kind of thing is exactly what this place is all about.

Reply 24 of 26, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know if it's my imagination, or I just stock myself up with the cheapy media, but I almost never burn at full speed of a particular drive/media because it seems to read so much better on older stuff if I don't. Though I guess I don't like waiting over 15min either and try to use the drives where that won't happen even a step below max.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-11, 13:31:
I agree. […]
Show full quote

I agree.

Lifes never to short to enjoy yourself buddy.

This kind of thing is exactly what this place is all about.

No disagreement there, far from it.

We all have somewhat different ideas of retro fun and personal preferences in term of masochism 😉 , but there is a lot of overlap and room for discussion.

If it's not my thing, but it makes someone happy, then I'm also happy to try to help if I can.

Reply 26 of 26, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lutsoad wrote on 2023-11-11, 07:38:

if my combo drive can successfully write to a CD-R media does that at least indicate that it could successfully write to a suitable CD-RW disc as well? Are they using the same laser for CD-R and CD-RW?

2- Almost certainly, haven't heard of any exceptions, in fact the closest problem that sounds comparable is CD/DVD (read only) drives with only a DVD laser, the result is the Thomson TGM-600 that's passable at CD-ROM, mostly blind to CD-R, and actually much better with CD-RW (but for data-only discs might as well use a DVD-R for best results!), or maybe the PSX's stupid dual drive concept but for a yet different reason…

1- This however is pretty much inconclusive, it's "probably yes" but I wouldn't trust that enough to sell on ebay as working 😜, different chemistries should be one of the main things highlighting a marginal drive (and/or crappy discs, last year I wasted 10 € on 5 Philips DVD+RW, of the 3 I've used they all got corrupted beyond erasability by a Matshita (most appropriate 8 character abbreviation, yes)/Apple slotloader that has no problem with the famous Verbatim Azo DVD-Rs)…!