VOGONS

First post, by stlouis1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone,

just looking for some opinions here.... I'm building a box with an msi k7t266 pro v1.0, athlon thunderbird 1.3ghz, geforce 3, sound blaster live as the main components on the bench right now

Just got through sorting out the creative live drivers (sigh) and installed shadow warrior to test audio in DOS mode.

I noticed some artifacting on the screen which can be seen in this photo. At first I thought maybe my Geforce 3 card had issues, but I've tried 2 more and the artifacting persists in what seems to be the exact same spot. Using the 81.98 nvidia drivers. I recently ran 3dmark 99 in a loop on all three of these geforce cards and I believe I ran vmtce on them as well for a while and all came clean so I'm a bit baffled

Haven't tried different drivers yet but the thought did occur to me that a dos game like this is more likely software rendered I did swap a few different sticks of ram as well but this is persisting...

Any thoughts? What are the odds I just happen to have 3 geforce 3 cards with the same issue? What else should I be looking at?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 1, by stlouis1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay, so I've looped 3dmark 2000 for a couple hours and no artifacting whatsoever.

I also tested Blood, another build engine game, and the same artifacting occurs. But artifacting only appears when using a vesa mode of a 640x480 or 800x600. at the default 320x240 there's no issue. At 640x480 the artifacting is in a different part of the screen.

I've built 4 boxes on win98se other than this one in the past couple weeks, different video cards mind you, but all the same list of games installed. One of them has a geforce 2 with driver version 71.84. I haven't noticed this issue on any of those other systems but I removed the 81.xx driver from this machine and stepped down to 71.84 but the same issue is still present.

Maybe I need to try some other DOS games